There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 09:31 PM by criollo2mil )

My initial quick thought was that it’s an OLD sighting (MM recycles old footage often) of possibly Gore when he perished on MM.  

has anyone done comparisons to him yet?
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(10-30-2023, 09:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 08:54 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I saw someone else try to say S8, but this seems too far south for that based on my limited geographical knowledge of the area.  Mala Mala could be a random rogue we don't know.

I guess ultimately we need a new head count in the area.

Wait, S8 is missing upper right canine..

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like Ngonya's post

United Kingdom Cath2020 Offline

Oh dear, could very well be the S8 Male!  That's horrible if so.  I do recall seeing a lion yawn with one of his upper canines missing but just cannot recall which lion that was.  Now that I think of it, could very well have been the S8.  He's not been seen for a few days at least, yea?  Where is the carcass located?
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(10-30-2023, 09:31 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: My initial quick thought was that it’s an OLD sighting (MM recycles old footage often) of possibly Gore when he perished on MM.  

has anyone done comparisons to him yet?

I am seeing other saying this now too.  This could be Gore.  That would be a relief if so.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 10:09 PM by Duco Ndona )

That would be a relief. But if they are declaring to have found death lions out of nowhere it would cast serious doubts on their reliability.

I think they would also be familiar enough with the Nwaswitshakas to Id him on the spot.

Does anyone recognize the footage though?
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-30-2023, 09:33 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 09:09 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-30-2023, 08:54 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: I saw someone else try to say S8, but this seems too far south for that based on my limited geographical knowledge of the area.  Mala Mala could be a random rogue we don't know.

I guess ultimately we need a new head count in the area.

Wait, S8 is missing upper right canine..

That image appears to show both upper canines.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

If NK managed to follow Talamatis from Western Sector to Sabi Sabi he has a decent chance of actually end up joining the coalition.

The older Talamati bulked up a lot, may not have as long of a body as NK but looks bulkier, very big lion.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

The canines sans the missing one still look rather white. Which may point to a younger male. Even though the nose already darkened.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 10:28 PM by BA0701 )

(10-30-2023, 10:23 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The canines sans the missing one still look rather white. Which may point to a younger male. Even though the nose already darkened.

I was thinking the same thing, the canines don't look quite as large, or as thick as a fully grown adult male, they seem a little thin to me. Though, after the image @Ngonya shared, I'm not even so sure the upper canine is in fact missing.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Looks like it is old footage of Gore :

Strange they put this out now.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 10:34 PM by Mapokser )

Gore had no such scars IIIRC, we saw his photo just before he bled out. This lion also looks a bit too old to have been him, his canines are a bit worn out, he looks at least 9+ years old.

And yeah the photos seem to show him with both upper canines.

Do we even know where in Mala Mala this is? North? South?

Perhaps it's just an old male from Kruger.

Edit: never mind, just saw the comparison above, whiskers looks very similar.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-30-2023, 10:33 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Gore had no such scars IIIRC, we saw his photo just before he bled out. This lion also looks a bit too old to have been him, his canines are a bit worn out, he looks at least 9+ years old.

Whiskers match.

Its Gore.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(10-30-2023, 10:33 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Gore had no such scars IIIRC, we saw his photo just before he bled out. This lion also looks a bit too old to have been him, his canines are a bit worn out, he looks at least 9+ years old.

In the comments of the YouTube video they have pointed out this is old footage.  Waiting on confirmation from Mala Mala, but may never get it.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(10-30-2023, 10:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like it is old footage of Gore :

That's good news. 
But it only shows a certain sloppiness and indifference from Mala Mala when it comes to sharing information
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Super Moderator

(10-30-2023, 10:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like it is old footage of Gore :

Great job @Tr1x24, and a great eye by @criollo2mil, nice work fellas.
4 users Like BA0701's post