There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(10-29-2023, 12:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Bomb from the western sector, Talamatis and NK joined again, this time they look very comfortable with each others, so it might work this time, 3rd lucky charm (lets hope):

Photo credits : Savanna

*This image is copyright of its original author

DM Talamati looks massive, he bulked a lot recently.
Great news to wake up to!
2 users Like KM600's post

( This post was last modified: 10-29-2023, 04:30 PM by KM600 )

(10-29-2023, 01:19 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: Fantastic news about Nym, Khanya and Dwizhala talamati boys!
Last they were together they got found and chased by the kambula boys…I figured they just never found each other vs leaving each other voluntarily.
They just need to find some lionesses now!
Maybe Othawas? Ik they’re around 3 but technically they could be old enough. I don’t think the Nkuhuma male left the Talamati YMs on bad terms, I think it was more him deciding to seek out some lionesses being the lover boy that he is, so maybe if they get access to some lionesses it will convince them to stay together. Might not mean much but I don’t think I’ve ever seen the 3 boys that close together when lying down, Nkuhuma was beat up around a month ago or two, most likely by the Gijimas and that might have convinced him the Talamatis aren’t worth it. Skorro Tumbela should also be around this area aswell, can’t see him pursuing his daughters but an interaction between him and the 3 boys could happen.
3 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-29-2023, 12:48 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Bomb from the western sector, Talamatis and NK joined again, this time they look very comfortable with each others, so it might work this time, 3rd lucky charm (lets hope):

This is wonderful news to find in my feed on my first check of the day. I was scrolling down, and going to mention how the Skorro Young Male would be a great candidate for either of these two, and boom, Nym may well have finally found some partners. Perhaps, in a perfect world, the Skorro Young Male could still team up with them, what a force they would be.

Now, my biggest concern is that  Sabi Sands is overflowing with large coalitions, and unless someone moves off into Kruger, which is also really full as well, and can become a black hole for lions, things will eventually come to a head. Sabi Sands is a powder keg at the moment.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2023, 09:04 PM by Duco Ndona )

Lets first see if this attempt lasts.

The reserve is now clearly in its stagnation/saturation phase of its cycle. Where internal conflict makes it harder to raise lots of cubs, resulting in mostly smaller coalitions of singular and duo lions being formed. 
This leaves them open to be bulldozed by a large coalition, should one form or arrive, and we get another dieoff phase.

The current, somewhat larger coalitions are still rather young and not in ideal places. So it remains to be seen whether or not they are the ones that initiative the die off.

Ttimemarti Offline

(10-29-2023, 03:51 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: They were seen like this before and it didnt work out then. Its much to early to say this meeting will lead to anything more permanent.

Scar is much to cliche of a name.

He deserves a name

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

He deserves a good name. 

How about Kovu? Which is swahili for scar.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Brazil Ngonya Online

(10-29-2023, 09:38 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: He deserves a good name. 

yes, a character from the lion king.
Ridiculous. No offense.
2 users Like Ngonya's post

( This post was last modified: 10-29-2023, 10:21 PM by KM600 )

(10-29-2023, 07:51 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

This is wonderful news to find in my feed on my first check of the day. I was scrolling down, and going to mention how the Skorro Young Male would be a great candidate for either of these two, and boom, Nym may well have finally found some partners. Perhaps, in a perfect world, the Skorro Young Male could still team up with them, what a force they would be.

Now, my biggest concern is that  Sabi Sands is overflowing with large coalitions, and unless someone moves off into Kruger, which is also really full as well, and can become a black hole for lions, things will eventually come to a head. Sabi Sands is a powder keg at the moment.
I agree to an extent but I also think something good could come from it, large coalitions all round should mean that each one of them is more focused on staying with their pride and raising their cubs rather than taking over as much territory as possible. Over some time, the older coalition like NWS for example would drop off and that frees up some territory. U see coalitions like the PCMs which as dominant as they are, they’re controlling too much territory to the point they can’t protect all of their prides, nothing is stopping the Talamati YMs and Nkuhuma male from killing the new Ximhungwe cubs nor the Nkuhuma breakaway subadults. Same situation with the Gijimas and the soon-to-be Talamati cubs.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-29-2023, 11:45 PM by Duco Ndona )

(10-29-2023, 09:48 PM)Ngonya Wrote:

Ridiculous. No offense.

Well. I was just trying to meet him halfway regarding renaming him Scar. 
That so many male lions in that franchise are called Scar just proves my point.

Ttimemarti Offline

(10-29-2023, 09:48 PM)Ngonya Wrote:

Ridiculous. No offense.

Ridiculous absolutely not offense taken

( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 01:01 AM by KM600 )

(10-29-2023, 09:15 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(10-29-2023, 03:51 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: They were seen like this before and it didnt work out then. Its much to early to say this meeting will lead to anything more permanent.

Scar is much to cliche of a name.

He deserves a name
Don’t believe it matters as most will prolly keep referring to him as Nkuhuma Male. Make what u will of the name. 
Mdogo - Junior in Swahilli

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Monday, 23 October 2023
  • An unknown coalition of three male lions, mobile north from Rebbeca’s and Zoe’s Road junction.
Tuesday, 24 October 2023
  • The two Mantimahle male lions, sleeping east of Big Dam in Buffelshoek.
Wednesday, 25 October 2023
  • A unknown young male lion, mobile north from Drongo north.
Thursday, 26 October 2023
  • An unknown young male lion, sleeping north of Nsinga camp.
  • S8 the male lion, mobile south from Vrystaat clearing.
Friday, 27 October 2023
  • An unknown lioness, sleeping at Baobab dam.
Saturday, 28 October 2023
  • Two Black Dam male lions mating with two Nkhuma lioness at Buff Pan.
  • Nkhuma pride consisting of seven lions stationary east of Elephant Plains Open Area.

https://www.elephantplains.co.za/big-5-b...ober-2023/
7 users Like Tonpa's post

United States Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-30-2023, 01:54 AM by Cath2020 )

So much for the naysayers of the Southern Black Dam Males!  There's a couple of lionesses for ya already! LOL.  Not to mention they have already sired cubs, albeit the lioness lost them.  In that one recent footage, a lioness was practically throwing herself on them and playing hard to get, showing her obvious interest and amorousness.

Told you that takeovers don't happen overnight sometimes.  This was not an aggressive attempt.  They are first time males taking over territory with a pride that had young and that pride was being evasive, like MANY prides before them.  Occasionally, it takes over 6 months or a year, etc.  Why is it supposed to be so easy for them?  If they are going to sire cubs with these lionesses, they have to prove, too, that they will stick around and defend the area.  It's a good sign.

By the way, that injured male could have been mauled by the BDMs....if not the Nhzengas.  Depends on whose territory he was on.
4 users Like Cath2020's post

(10-30-2023, 01:53 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: So much for the naysayers of the Southern Black Dam Males!  There's a couple of lionesses for ya already! LOL.  Not to mention they have already sired cubs, albeit the lioness lost them.  In that one recent footage, a lioness was practically throwing herself on them and playing hard to get, showing her obvious interest and amorousness.

Told you that takeovers don't happen overnight sometimes.  This was not an aggressive attempt.  They are first time males taking over territory with a pride that had young and that pride was being evasive, like MANY prides before them.  Occasionally, it takes over 6 months or a year, etc.  Why is it supposed to be so easy for them?  If they are going to sire cubs with these lionesses, they have to prove, too, that they will stick around and defend the area.  It's a good sign.

By the way, that injured male could have been mauled by the BDMs....if not the Nhzengas.  Depends on whose territory he was on.
Was always bound to happen, that being said it could very well be two young Nkuhuma lionesses sired by the N.Avocas that have been mating with them so technically it wouldn’t be a takeover, more just forming a breakaway. Like u said tho, it’s pretty much pointless unless they stick around and help the lionesses safeguard the cubs, if they were to have any.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Lionesses try to mate with any noteworthy coalition present in or near their territory to confuse paternity. So this may be just a case of that rather than a potential takeover.
Though seeing their alternative may be Mohawk and their sons. So they are probably hoping they can provoke an takeover.