There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Looks like Sand River young male :

Photo credits: Icohenphotography

*This image is copyright of its original author
11 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(09-26-2023, 03:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like Sand River young male :

Seen an update about him recently in a video but had just landed so didn’t have time to send it, didn’t know the S.Avocas had offspring this old.
2 users Like KM600's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Apperantly Ximhungwe female also has cubs:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tylermartin! Offline

(09-26-2023, 04:36 PM)KM600 Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 03:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Looks like Sand River young male :

Seen an update about him recently in a video but had just landed so didn’t have time to send it, didn’t know the S.Avocas had offspring this old.

Yup
1 user Likes Tylermartin!'s post

Tylermartin! Offline

(09-27-2023, 07:36 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Apperantly Ximhungwe female also has cubs:

Combined into a new pride?! So should we call them the ximhungwe-othawa Pride then?
1 user Likes Tylermartin!'s post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Just Ximhungwe. The Othawa pride is still around and Gingerella pretty much joined Ximhungwe who was already a resident there.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tylermartin! Offline

(09-27-2023, 08:50 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Just Ximhungwe. The Othawa pride is still around and Gingerella pretty much joined Ximhungwe who was already a resident there.

Oh ok the savanna reserve said a new pride I thought we would go with that

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Gingerella is still called an Othawa Breakaway by rangers even now, but the pride in itself is only called Ximhungwe.

But anyway with NK hopefully not returning, it all comes down to Tumbela, if he doesn't show interest in killing the cubs then their chances are actually decent now if PCM remains in power.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-28-2023, 12:44 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Gingerella is still called an Othawa Breakaway by rangers even now
As she should be, because that is who she is.
2 users Like Potato's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I think its from facebook. Which are rarely used by the guides themselves. 

When I hear breakaway. My first thought is of a couple of lionesses splitting of from the main pride deliberatly. Gingerella doesnt really fit that to be honest as she mostly got screwed over by the lion dynamics at the point where young lionesses typically have to earn their spot in the pride. So she is more a nomadic OYF, or Othawa young female.

I can see the need for naming though as there often are multiple of those. But it wouldnt hurt if some groundrules are established. So we dont end up with 20 Darkmanes, lions named after their relatives and stuck in their shadow. Or really crappy names like Bobkiller. The names from Swahili or other local languages often are the best
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-30-2024, 09:46 AM by Mapokser )

Most of SS never name their lions, only using the name of their natal pride or maybe naming a coalition by the local they were first seen, but almost never individual names unless the lions are in the north then they can gain names like Dark Mane, Blondie and Mohawk, or even african names I guess.

On Mara they name almost everybody with local african names, which honestly I find cool sometimes but it's way too much, even subadults have their own names and it's impossible to keep track of all the names, though the advantage is that we don'tget many repeated names.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

A happy compromise is probably to only name them once they reach the age when its clear they survived the perils of youth.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-28-2023, 03:17 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: When I hear breakaway. My first thought is of a couple of lionesses splitting of from the main pride deliberatly. Gingerella doesnt really fit that to be honest as she mostly got screwed over by the lion dynamics at the point where young lionesses typically have to earn their spot in the pride.
Break away means one is born in a direct pride, but at some point break away from it and this particular female fit in this definition perfectly. She is not Ximunghwe female and has nothink to do with Ximunghwe pride lineadge.

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
5 users Like Horizon's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Except she never broke away. She was kicked out.