There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Nkhulu males (not sure how recent is this):

Photo credits: lionsandsgamereserve

*This image is copyright of its original author
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-24-2023, 11:23 PM by Mapokser )

With so many small cubs and promising prides in the Sabi Sands right now hopefully the Nkhulus will be content with Kruger for at least 2 years, but I wouldn't mind if they never invade at all.
7 users Like Mapokser's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

9 users Like Tonpa's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Hi guys, stopping by here because I was wondering if there had been recent news/developments with the Tsalala lioness. Her mother is my all-time-favorite lion from Sabi Sands and her lineage is fascinating to me. I'm rooting for her to succeed and revive the Tsalala pride.
4 users Like Balam's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Quiet week

Tuesday, 18 July 2023
  • Three Torchwood Lioness with eight cubs and two of the Mantimahle sons male Lions on a Zebra kill on Umbrella Tree North junction Hyena West.
Sunday, 23 July 2023
  • Three young male lions (unknown) mobile South from Diagonal Road.
https://www.elephantplains.co.za/big-5-b...july-2023/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(07-23-2023, 09:59 PM)Balam Wrote: Hi guys, stopping by here because I was wondering if there had been recent news/developments with the Tsalala lioness. Her mother is my all-time-favorite lion from Sabi Sands and her lineage is fascinating to me. I'm rooting for her to succeed and revive the Tsalala pride.

She gets seen occasionally, last I recall hearing of her was a month or so ago, she was photographed in a tree I believe. There may have been more recent sightings, but my opportunities to read updates have been sporadic of late. She is doing remarkably well, not surprising given her mother was quite the legendary lioness and taught her well. She should be of age by now, hopefully she can find a male to breed with, and begin to rebuild her pride. That girl has so much riding on her.

These females left on their own at such young ages, her, and the Othawas, who are also doing incredibly well given how young they were when Sassy died. I continue to hope for the best for all of them, and always look forward to hearing updates.

Interestingly, there is a young male roaming around SS, often referred to as the Wonky Eyed Male (a moniker given to him by @Tonpa ), but he may possibly have been even younger than the Othawas and the Tsalala Princess when he ended up on his own, and to this day he continues to thrive as well. He is quite the interesting character, always being filmed and photographed feeding with other random lions and prides, often dominant males, seemingly acting as if sharing a meal with other lions is just how things are in lion life. Point is, these lions I mentioned have shown us repeatedly that where there is a will, there is a way, and they all share that indominable spirit and will to survive. Inspirational stuff imo.
9 users Like BA0701's post

RookiePundit Offline

(07-21-2023, 05:55 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its just one mating. The guy probably just happened to be at the right spot. For the coalition to take over they have to be accepted by most of the pride even outside estrus. Right now they are just hanging out there but largely avoided. Which may still last for months depending on the cubs etc.

However. If the lionesses are getting back into estrus its very odd the Avocas left. One would expect that the resident males would stick around for that even with the whole Nkhulu situation going on as it did so for months. So that adds credence to the idea that their departure wasnt as voluntary as originally believed.

The mating can still be just a distraction tactic.  Or it can be the thing of mating with as many males of the area in a transitonal period regardless of whether she knew to what coalition he belongs to - hedging against any potential outcome why changing guards is done and things settled.
4 users Like RookiePundit's post

RookiePundit Offline

(07-23-2023, 10:52 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(07-23-2023, 09:59 PM)Balam Wrote: Hi guys, stopping by here because I was wondering if there had been recent news/developments with the Tsalala lioness. Her mother is my all-time-favorite lion from Sabi Sands and her lineage is fascinating to me. I'm rooting for her to succeed and revive the Tsalala pride.

She gets seen occasionally, last I recall hearing of her was a month or so ago, she was photographed in a tree I believe. There may have been more recent sightings, but my opportunities to read updates have been sporadic of late. She is doing remarkably well, not surprising given her mother was quite the legendary lioness and taught her well. She should be of age by now, hopefully she can find a male to breed with, and begin to rebuild her pride. That girl has so much riding on her.

These females left on their own at such young ages, her, and the Othawas, who are also doing incredibly well given how young they were when Sassy died. I continue to hope for the best for all of them, and always look forward to hearing updates.

Interestingly, there is a young male roaming around SS, often referred to as the Wonky Eyed Male (a moniker given to him by @Tonpa ), but he may possibly have been even younger than the Othawas and the Tsalala Princess when he ended up on his own, and to this day he continues to thrive as well. He is quite the interesting character, always being filmed and photographed feeding with other random lions and prides, often dominant males, seemingly acting as if sharing a meal with other lions is just how things are in lion life. Point is, these lions I mentioned have shown us repeatedly that where there is a will, there is a way, and they all share that indominable spirit and will to survive. Inspirational stuff imo.

Tsalala was also seen with Black Dam males, wasn't she (about a month+ ago?) ? Or was the lone lioness identified as someone else in the end?
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-24-2023, 02:15 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: Tsalala was also seen with Black Dam males, wasn't she (about a month+ ago?) ? Or was the lone lioness identified as someone else in the end?

Talamati lioness.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-23-2023, 10:14 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Sunday, 23 July 2023
  • Three young male lions (unknown) mobile South from Diagonal Road.

Asked around. This is in Buffleshoek just north from Djuma. Pretty core S8 Male territory. Guessing two imbali males and WE male?

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Tonpa's post

Mwk85 Offline

Gingerella with 1/2 PC males 

9 users Like Mwk85's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

PC young male, he looks exactly like his father, smaller maned S.Avoca :

14 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-26-2023, 04:28 AM by afortich )

Nkhulu boy with Sand River lioness

9 users Like afortich's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Torchwoods - 6 cubs 5 females, 3 with suckle marks

8 users Like Tonpa's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

The Skorro breakaway young male seen in Londolozi today
Vid credit: Brandon Rose

14 users Like lionuk's post