There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Torchwood breakaways with 8 more cubs, puts them at around 18-19 now I think

7 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Throwback, 2/3 Sand River males:

Photo credits: Sabi Sabi

*This image is copyright of its original author
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

(07-20-2023, 01:54 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Torchwood breakaways with 8 more cubs, puts them at around 18-19 now I think

The author posted on FB that the Mantimahle sons (They got a better name?) are now seen with both Torchwood breakaways and Torchwood core

Looks like the "core" pride itself split and some remained with the Kruger male

Pics and stories by Jennifer Bruner

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-20-2023, 05:49 PM by Tr1x24 )

(07-20-2023, 05:10 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Looks like the "core" pride itself split and some remained with the Kruger male

Some of the females should be back into estrus again, so its normal they would mate with stronger coalition in the area.

Subs should still be with Kruger male and avoid Mantimahle sons.

Eventually Kruger male will prob either be ousted by Mantimahle sons, or move further north (he already did a bit), he already had contacts with Imbali and Nharu prides, who also have 1 pride males.

Does anyone know current Torchwood and breakaways numbers?
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The majestic king S8/Imbali male with his huge paws.

9 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 Well lions and humans are very different animals so I don't think this was the best comparison.

Are you sure GM had the biggest mane? Scarnose seemed to have easily the biggest mane IMO, the most similar to OM's which made people think SN was his father.

Mr.T was taller than KT but apparently was overall smaller, Rob said Mr.T was the smallest of the 6 and not only he spent years with them but he saw all 6 weighted, iirc some other reserves/rangers might also have said KT was bigger.

I wasn't saying short-maned males are small, but rather that in a coalition ( usually brothers, meaning similar genes ) the one with the biggest mane usually seems to be the biggest, like they all have similar genes for size and the ones with the biggest manes would be the ones with the overall best genes/best health.

Of course a short-maned mane with great genes for size like Shaka Mbiri will be bigger than unrelated hairy males with worse genes for size. But his brother who has similar genes for size and got the huge mane is the biggest of the 2.

Yeah there're exceptions like I said, Bboys being one, but I think if we look at a big sample, chances are that usually the brother with the biggest mane will have the biggest body. Another example I've just realized are the Nkhulus, 6 males and the 2 with the biggest manes seems to be the biggest, sure they might be a bit older than the others but maybe not, PCM are their brothers, are littermates and the bigger one has quite a bigger mane.

Though of course, I might be completely wrong, idk, it's just something I sort of noticed by looking at some coalitions.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cu6b4M1gzd_/

Nkhulu mating with Sand River female.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-21-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Are you sure GM had the biggest mane? Scarnose seemed to have easily the biggest mane IMO, the most similar to OM's which made people think SN was his father.

SN had longer mane, but GM was the most hairy of all, longest growing mane on his spine and front legs/hips, he was like bear. They where also littermates and barely any size diff between them, so its irrelevant.

(07-21-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Mr.T was taller than KT but apparently was overall smaller, Rob said Mr.T was the smallest of the 6 and not only he spent years with them but he saw all 6 weighted, iirc some other reserves/rangers might also have said KT was bigger

You have plenty footage of 2 together, mr T was definetly bigger.

(07-21-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Another example I've just realized are the Nkhulus, 6 males and the 2 with the biggest manes seems to be the biggest

Nkhulus are still developing manes, so we cant judge that.

You have plenty examples where biggest male has biggest mane, but you also have plenty where they dont have, so its not a given.

Yea i also forgot Renosterkoppies males, biggest of the 3 was/is mohawked male.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-21-2023, 09:50 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Nkhulu mating with Sand River female.

Strange that 6th/sick male is mating, others either mated or they are not near.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

He pobably split off from the group to seek opportunities he wouldnt have gotten if he sticked with them. It seems to have worked out for him.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Zigzag Offline

That means s avocas vacated due to pressured from Nkhulus and may never come back again?
If they took control of Sand river pride, PC Pride will be in their control in future and Gijima males will definitely feel the effects
1 user Likes Zigzag's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2023, 05:56 PM by Duco Ndona )

Its just one mating. The guy probably just happened to be at the right spot. For the coalition to take over they have to be accepted by most of the pride even outside estrus. Right now they are just hanging out there but largely avoided. Which may still last for months depending on the cubs etc.

However. If the lionesses are getting back into estrus its very odd the Avocas left. One would expect that the resident males would stick around for that even with the whole Nkhulu situation going on as it did so for months. So that adds credence to the idea that their departure wasnt as voluntary as originally believed.

Tylermartin! Offline

(07-21-2023, 03:19 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Are you sure GM had the biggest mane? Scarnose seemed to have easily the biggest mane IMO, the most similar to OM's which made people think SN was his father.

SN had longer mane, but GM was the most hairy of all, longest growing mane on his spine and front legs/hips, he was like bear. They where also littermates and barely any size diff between them, so its irrelevant.

(07-21-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Mr.T was taller than KT but apparently was overall smaller, Rob said Mr.T was the smallest of the 6 and not only he spent years with them but he saw all 6 weighted, iirc some other reserves/rangers might also have said KT was bigger

You have plenty footage of 2 together, mr T was definetly bigger.

(07-21-2023, 12:48 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Another example I've just realized are the Nkhulus, 6 males and the 2 with the biggest manes seems to be the biggest

Nkhulus are still developing manes, so we cant judge that.

You have plenty examples where biggest male has biggest mane, but you also have plenty where they dont have, so its not a given.

Yea i also forgot Renosterkoppies males, biggest of the 3 was/is mohawked male.
I always that mr t was the smallest mapogo and kinky tail was bigger than him

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

"We found the Southern Pride with a waterbuck kill and all females looking very full. They were relaxing in a drainage line, trying to escape the cold wind while the cubs were nursing from their mother.

With the colder weather we have been experiencing these last couple of days makes for perfect hunting conditions for the cats, as prey animals usually don't move around as much and spend more time in thicker areas where it is easier for lions to stalk closer to their prey and be successful in their hunts."

8 users Like lionuk's post

NLAL11 Offline

(07-21-2023, 08:14 PM)lionuk Wrote: "We found the Southern Pride with a waterbuck kill and all females looking very full. They were relaxing in a drainage line, trying to escape the cold wind while the cubs were nursing from their mother.

With the colder weather we have been experiencing these last couple of days makes for perfect hunting conditions for the cats, as prey animals usually don't move around as much and spend more time in thicker areas where it is easier for lions to stalk closer to their prey and be successful in their hunts."

Amazing pictures. Great to see the cubs looking well. Is it maybe time the Southern Pride had their own thread?
5 users Like NLAL11's post