There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-16-2023, 07:23 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @Timbavati if I can be honest considering his age he is hardly gaining much more weight and isn't any bigger than the Kambula female in height and length.

When I first saw these BDM I thought they would turn out to be big considering how huge their uncle was, but in the the end, imo, they are just average, at least these 2 from SS are.

Nhenha and OM didnt look much bigger then this female either. 

K6 is huge lioness.

We have footage of this female with Nhenha, Tinyo, N.Avocas, Ndhzengas, OM and now BDMs. If you have time, search for photos and see how males stack near her.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Monday, 10 July 2023
  • Nkhuma pride of Lions consisting of two lioness and one young male mobile North West from Zebra Drive.
Tuesday, 11 July 2023
  • One Kambula male Lion static infront of Vuyatela Lodge.
Wednesday, 12 July 2023
  • Imbali pride consisting of four lioness and two young males static on a Termite mound North of Hardekool Lodge with the Imbali male trailing behind them.
Thursday, 13 July 2023
  • Imbali pride of Lions consisting of six individuals static on top of a Termite mound with the Imbali male trailing behind them North of Hardekool.
Friday, 14 July 2023
  • One Talamati Lioness static at Khaya Manzi Dam.
  • Talamati pride consisting of six individuals and the Imbali male mobile West along the Manyaleti Boundary.
Sunday, 16 July 2023
  • Nkhuma pride of Lions consisting of eight individuals’ static on Cheetah Cutline.
https://www.elephantplains.co.za/big-5-b...july-2023/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

NLAL11 Offline

Any idea which male they meant by 'Imbali male' with the Imbali pride? They don't mean S8 do they? Or W.E.?
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-17-2023, 01:06 AM by Tonpa )

(07-17-2023, 12:41 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: Any idea which male they meant by 'Imbali male' with the Imbali pride? They don't mean S8 do they? Or W.E.?

S8 Male, for some reason they've started calling him Imbali Male in recent reports after calling him S8 all this time.

Also, I wonder if he'll go back to the Imbalis soon, given the age of the sub-adults the imbali lionesses should be coming back into oestrus.
5 users Like Tonpa's post

NLAL11 Offline

(07-17-2023, 01:04 AM)Tonpa Wrote:
(07-17-2023, 12:41 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: Any idea which male they meant by 'Imbali male' with the Imbali pride? They don't mean S8 do they? Or W.E.?

S8 Male, for some reason they've started calling him Imbali Male in recent reports after calling him S8 all this time.

Also, I wonder if he'll go back to the Imbalis soon, given the age of the sub-adults the imbali lionesses should be coming back into oestrus.

Wouldn't be surprising considering there's only one Talamati (breakaway) lioness left, and she's got her paws full looking after 5 subs. Let's hope he continues to watch over them as well.

The Imbali sub-adult lionesses will be his daughters though, no? Not exactly great for the gene pool.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 I'd tried before but could never find any good photos or footage of Nhenha and OM with her.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-17-2023, 09:23 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 I'd tried before but could never find any good photos or footage of Nhenha and OM with he

There was few i remember.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(07-17-2023, 09:23 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 I'd tried before but could never find any good photos or footage of Nhenha and OM with her.

A bit of that here:
https://blog.londolozi.com/2020/10/26/the-ntsevu-fracture/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5YIq8NOUH8&ab_channel=ignijam  (0;38)

OM definitelly was a big boy.
3 users Like Potato's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(07-17-2023, 10:33 PM)Potato Wrote: A bit of that here:
https://blog.londolozi.com/2020/10/26/the-ntsevu-fracture/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5YIq8NOUH8&ab_channel=ignijam  (0;38)

OM definitelly was a big boy

OM was definetly underrated size wise. Since he become territorial he was prob always top 3 biggest males in SS.

Here is Nhenha with 6th/pale female at 7:50 :

@Mapokser ok i take that back, Nhenha is massive.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Honestly looking at those photos and vids what I can say for sure is that K6 is a monster lioness.

As for the OM, first it didn't even crossed my mind the fact he and K6 are siblings from the paternal side and OM's mother was sisters with K6's mother also from the paternal line so they were close related. Anyway his photos aren't as good comparison wise but in the photo of them walking together, despite not exactly side by side, OM looked clearly a good bit taller which doesn't surprise me, Majingilanes were very tall and Mapogos not far behind.

Now regarding Nhenha, he also looked decently taller, maybe not as much as OM but OM's photo is more unreliable than Nhenha's vid. What surprises me the most is that Nhenha didn't dwarf her body wise, I expected bulkiness to be his strongest point, sometimes the lion won't be taller or even longer than the female but would have a much more massive body.

Still it's clear how Nhenha still looks big close to K6.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Contributor

Kruger male by @v_photography_w

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Tonpa's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Saw a report that an Nkhulu male killed and ate a Sand River Pride Cub.  With the Avocas off in parts unknown, this is not good.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2023, 08:48 PM by Duco Ndona )

I saw photo that on facebook aswell

If the Avocas havent returned by now. They likely ran leaving their prides vacant. A rather sad end to the Avoca era in Sabi Sands to be honest.

It wont be long till the Nhululus fully take over and by the looks of it, it wont be the calm peaceful transitions sometimes seen with young inexperienced males. So it wont be the last report of such nature likely. 

But this should hopefully keep them occupied long enough for the Nwaswitshakas and Gijimas to be safe from them for the time being.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 07-18-2023, 09:08 PM by Tr1x24 )

If S.Avocas are indeed at Hamiltons , they are not returning.

Males dont go that far, thru multiple neighbouring coalitions territory, unless they are nomads.

Something must had happened behind the scenes, as last report was they chased Nkhulus and mauled Deadlocks, S.Avocas where victorious. But looks like Nkhulus shortly after prob regrouped and pushed them out.

SR and PC prides are in real danger, coalition of 5/6 can do serious damage, and not only to cubs/subs, yet adult females aswell, especially as Nkhulus are showing cannibalistic behaviour.

I fear for the same scenario for SR pride as in 2019 and S.Avocas takeover, out of 8 subs, only 2 females survived.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tylermartin! Offline

The Avocas probably left because there was 7 males in their territory that won’t leave same reason the Charleston brothers left because of the 5 mantimahle males wasn’t worth fighting
2 users Like Tylermartin!'s post