There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I beg you guys, please no size discussion. It goes nowhere
2 users Like Tonpa's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(04-28-2022, 12:49 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Any actuall proof that Skorro Jr fight Nhenha? And where was NK male when those 2 where fighting? 2 experienced nomads would definitely took that chance to kill dominant male. So this is quite strange. 

Also, looks like theres definitely 1 Othawa cub gone, today still only 5 cubs.

There is no evidence besides the word of Lion Sightings who received the news from omegagodi. There is no further context on the situation but both males seem to be relatively fine as of this moment. There could be many reasons nhenha was alone at the time the altercation took place but we don't know anything to say for sure
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

(04-28-2022, 12:23 AM)Slayerd Wrote: He also thinks he is definitely bigger than Skorro Jr and is worried for that reason. Another ranger marveled at Nhenha's size.
I'll trust your desscription as I can not hear anythink from that instagram video as voice there is very low through I do not think it would be suprise to anyone if Nhenha is bigger than Tumbela males. Intresting would be his comparison to the PC males or deceased Othawa male.

(04-28-2022, 12:47 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Eh, every male lion is declared to be the future biggest king of Sabi sand etcetera at one point. Unless he has shot both and measured their corpses. I would not put much stock in such claims. 
As its often just fanboying or selling safari tickets.
Kinda as well. Indeed describing males as big are commonly overused and are often empty words. Direct comparisons between direct males are intersting however.

(04-28-2022, 12:49 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Any actuall proof that Skorro Jr fight Nhenha? And where was NK male when those 2 where fighting? 2 experienced nomads would definitely took that chance to kill dominant male. So this is quite strange. 
Probably an make up storry. Two supposedly fought through neither has any injurys...

( This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 02:42 AM by Slayerd )

(04-28-2022, 02:34 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I beg you guys, please no size discussion. It goes nowhere

I made it clear that I didn't want to start a debate. I only posted the thoughts of the ranger. We wouldn't need to discuss it if was another lion but people find the reason to with Nhenha
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Hairy tummy Offline

(04-28-2022, 02:28 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: If it isn't already difficult to measure size without a ruler, lions can vary largely in size thorough the week. Looking very big and impressive right after a meal, but thin and scrawny after a few days without a meal. Often these measurements are made by watching one lion from a great distance one day, and then the other days later and comparing them from memory. Making these sorts of guesses very unreliable. Especially if one of such animal is the watchers favourite.
I have never seen nhenha looking 'thin and scrawny',he always tends to look in perfect condition. If you have any pics i would be interested in seeing them
3 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I was just pointing out that lions can vary greatly in size depending on how long ago their latest meal was. Making size comparisons pointless. This basic fact of lion life just as much applies to Nhenha as it does to every other lion.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

RookiePundit Offline

My two cents. Nhenha should be bigger than Othawa or PC males in their current state. By that I mean mostly taller, he has no thin frame but some others PC included might achieve heavier builds and PC might be heavier, especially once (and if) Nhenha starts losing condition one day and gets thinner. PC males on the other can still possibly fill out more and get bigger/heavier.

As Nhenha is still quite a newcomer to that part of Sabi Sands, I take the guide's reaction linked above as likely genuine. There is always incentive to make resident animals look special but at the same time Nhenha is a nomadic male they can't be sure of whther he sticks around and it is well known he is big male (any male that is the biggest of a 5 male coalition is likely at least above average specimen), how much in comparison to other big males is a matter quite futile to solve.
7 users Like RookiePundit's post

Contributor

Last nights sighting

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 05:43 PM by Tonpa )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Snapped tooth 

8 users Like Tonpa's post

(04-28-2022, 05:42 PM)Tonpa Wrote:

Snapped tooth 

This story says it was both but rangers are saying it was just Nhenha
2 users Like Slayerd's post

NLAL11 Offline

As he only has injuries to the head it would make more sense that he only fought one male.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

WildRev Offline

Styx pride
7 users Like WildRev's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

(04-28-2022, 11:13 AM)RookiePundit Wrote: My two cents. Nhenha should be bigger than Othawa or PC males in their current state. By that I mean mostly taller, he has no thin frame but some others PC included might achieve heavier builds and PC might be heavier, especially once (and if) Nhenha starts losing condition one day and gets thinner. PC males on the other can still possibly fill out more and get bigger/heavier.

As Nhenha is still quite a newcomer to that part of Sabi Sands, I take the guide's reaction linked above as likely genuine. There is always incentive to make resident animals look special but at the same time Nhenha is a nomadic male they can't be sure of whther he sticks around and it is well known he is big male (any male that is the biggest of a 5 male coalition is likely at least above average specimen), how much in comparison to other big males is a matter quite futile to solve.

Was Nhenha the biggest of the Birminghams? I didn't see much of him but Mfumo seemed to be a pretty massive specimen too. Are there any photos where we have them both of them together at comparable angles/distances?
1 user Likes sundarbans's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 01:17 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-29-2022, 12:03 AM)sundarbans Wrote: Was Nhenha the biggest of the Birminghams? I didn't see much of him but Mfumo seemed to be a pretty massive specimen too. Are there any photos where we have them both of them together at comparable angles/distances?

Yes, Nhenha vs Mfumo was discussed here before with pictures, Nhenha has a little bigger body structure then Mfumo, who was 2nd largest and most bulkiest of them:

Here watch from 14 min mark :

Also here:

As you can see, its hard to tell even when they are together, yet we are discussing here which lions are bigger who where never even seen together..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gavskrr Offline

Imbali Male on Elephant Plains
Credit: Clive Davis
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
8 users Like Gavskrr's post