There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Gijima Offline

Where is Blondie? I'm a bit concerned about him to be honest. No photos...
3 users Like Gijima's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(11-11-2021, 10:09 PM)Gijima Wrote: Where is Blondie? I'm a bit concerned about him to be honest. No photos...

Gerry van der Walt had said he saw both Avoca males there, though no photo of Blondie yet. Hopefully we will see one soon because he said both of them looked fine.
5 users Like lionuk's post

WildRev Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 10:23 PM by WildRev )

More footage of the pursuit, Gore was actually with his 3 brothers and there was only 1 avoca male, probably Mohawk

https://www.instagram.com/stories/londol...933058621/
8 users Like WildRev's post

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 10:26 PM by Gijima )

@lionuk Thank you, at least someone saw him in person.

This most recent Londolozi story is insane. Even though I know the outcome I didn't realize how much of a stand the Avocas made. According to the rangers "one Avoca male is marching straight to where the four N'Was are vocalizing" (I'm paraphrasing) They only retreated at the last minute and then spend one full day roaring in Mala Mala knowing full well they are being pursued.

I can't even wrap my head around how they evaded being caught. One wrong move or even loss of focus those two days and they would have had four hungry lions on top of them (all four N'Ws including Gore looked great, and very aggressive). 

The Avocas better not pull a stunt like that ever again, although I must say I admire them for trying.
6 users Like Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 10:46 PM by Tr1x24 )

(11-11-2021, 10:25 PM)Gijima Wrote: @lionuk Thank you, at least someone saw him in person.

This most recent Londolozi story is insane. Even though I know the outcome I didn't realize how much of a stand the Avocas made. According to the rangers "one Avoca male is marching straight to where the four N'Was are vocalizing" (I'm paraphrasing) They only retreated at the last minute and then spend one full day roaring in Mala Mala knowing full well they are being pursued.

I can't even wrap my head around how they evaded being caught. One wrong move or even loss of focus those two days and they would have had four hungry lion on top of them (all for N'Ws including Gore looked great, and very aggressive). 

The Avocas better not pull a stunt like that ever again, although I must say I admire them for trying.

They tried, but yea, 4 vs 2 is impossible to defeat. 

Im glad we had witness it (it might not be over yet) and nobody got killed, its so rare we have big porportions events like this. 

Does anyone has some recent info about N'ws?? Nothing on them since they where seen mating with that infertile Kambula, which was 2 days ago.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-11-2021, 11:37 PM by Duco Ndona )

The Avocas probably realized that if they ran, the Nwaswitshakas would have chased them to the end of the world.

Better to make a stand and run and hope it was enough to deter them.

Gijima Offline

(11-11-2021, 11:36 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: The Avocas probably realized that if they ran, the Nwaswitshakas would have chased them to the end of the world.

Better to make a stand and run and hope it was enough to deter them.

"Nwaswitshakas would have chased them to the end of the world." 

Not really. They aren't here because they have a personal agenda against the Avocas or the Birminghams. They are here to claim a turf. That's why once they got up to the Sand River and bumped into a lioness they stopped.

People need to stop being in denial about what's happening in Mala Mala. Since April there has been a takeover process happening. Saying things like "nah this lion just wants to sneak mate" or "oh they went back home" is silly... yes takeovers are a process and they take time but things are shifting and there's no need to be in denial.

And now with a coalition of four, it's just a matter of how motivated they are but things can happen quickly. 

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-12-2021, 12:28 AM)Gijima Wrote: People need to stop being in denial about what's happening in Mala Mala. Since April there has been a takeover process happening. Saying things like "nah this lion just wants to sneak mate" or "oh they went back home" is silly... yes takeovers are a process and they take time but things are shifting and there's no need to be in denial.

If you are talking about N. Avocas vs Bboys, things between them are pretty stable since August, N. Avocas claimed MalaMala Main Camp and 2 females, they didn't push towards Bboys since, things are pretty clear here as it looks like both coalitions where happy with that "split"  of Kambulas. 

But all this doesnt matter now with arrival of N'ws, N. Avocas cant expand south now, so this "war" with Bboys for central Sabi Sands ended there.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

They homed in to the Avocas. So to say that they have no interest in them personally is a bit far. 

I dont think what we are seeing right now is a take over. Just a repeat of the Mhangeni incident earlier this year.
Lions aren't going to plan things for months ahead.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

WildRev Offline

Roaring, scent marking, pursuing the dominant males... That's definitely a take over attempt.
5 users Like WildRev's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 01:19 AM by Tr1x24 )

(11-12-2021, 01:06 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: They homed in to the Avocas. So to say that they have no interest in them personally is a bit far. 

I dont think what we are seeing right now is a take over. Just a repeat of the Mhangeni incident earlier this year.
Lions aren't going to plan things for months ahead.

N'ws wont leave this new claimed territory, they didnt roar, scent mark and chase Avocas for 3-4 days just to mate with 1 female and return south and alow Avocas to return. 

This is clear takeover of Londolozi and that area..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

Yeah this is so far off and unfortunately fueled by a lot of what's posted here that killing of cubs and other behaviors like that aren't part of a take-over process. 

"I dont think what we are seeing right now is a take over. Just a repeat of the Mhangeni incident earlier this year."

The N'wa's didn't go to the western sector to take over a pride. They wandered there on a hunt and bumped into the Mhangenis and the cubs got lost in the commotion.

"Lions aren't going to plan things for months ahead."

They absolutely do. Males lions will scope out a territory for weeks or months before making a move. They are far more intelligent that we give them credit for. And the foaming at the mouth is only seen when males are behaving territorial, not when they are sneaking around.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2021, 02:22 AM by Tr1x24 )

Gerry Van Der Walt podcast from MalaMala perspective on a takeover on 8th-10th:

https://m.soundcloud.com/gerryvanderwalt...ions-fight

Few notes :

- on 8th N'ws and Avocas where roaring and chasing 
- he said they heard lions fight/roar on night between 8th-9th
- next morning on 9th they found 1 N'ws, he was "fckd" up on his back end/legs, bite marks, he calls him broken boy 
- then he found another one with Kambula female, "broken" one joins them later 
- then they found "limping" one alone (Amahle), he was barely moving, not putting any pressure on his leg
- next day, on 10th, they found Amahle on the exact spot lying as yesterday, but "broken" one joined him
- that day they found both Avocas far north, completely healthy
- 4th one (Gore) was not seen since 8th to this day he says
- he says he doesnt know who N'ws fight, as 2 N. Avocas are completly healthy and far away, but says that theres small possibility they fight among themselves 

So it looks like the rumor on bites on rear end of 1 male was true, its WideNose as we seen OE completely fine. 
Gore prob returned south.
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Tsalala girls today in Singita by LegendSafaris 

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Tonpa's post

Gijima Offline

Great find @Tr1x24 

The "broken boy" definitely fought with N Avoca. I won't have believed it before but it makes sense now. 

From 6:00 on he mentions a few things:
- They heard a huge fight going on while the males were roaring at each other meaning the Avocas still hadn't left yet. It was during that "roaring" contest. 
- He was eff'ed up with bite marks all over his groin and hind legs and looked so bad that this guy keeps talking about his injuries?? Definitely rival males and you would have to be tagged teamed 2:1 too, not fighting brothers. The key is the attack on the back. 
- N Avocas have no injuries because it was 2:1. They also probably just gave him a beating and retreated before they became the victims. 

I think "broken male" got separated. Thank goodness it wasn't Gore.
2 users Like Gijima's post