There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

3 Tumbelas on Ulusaba Sofa Safari yesterday :

*This image is copyright of its original author

Rangers said that they are patroling and moved north, from the south, where they where with Othawas in past days.. So that might get a chance for subadults to reunite, possible even with females for short period..

They said that limping one is getting better. 

They also said that NK and Styx where seen in western sector few days ago, so we might get some young males brawl if they continue to hang around western sector..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

After looking into this, I'm realizing the Torchwood pride numbers are pretty straightforward... Mala Mala just added confusion to this in 2020 by making up random numbers and birth dates. From 2018-end of 2019 the pride was always reported to be 10 (4 adult females, 5 subadult female, 1 sub male). Then in 2019 Torchwood lioness had cubs and the number blew up to 17. I have no idea whose cubs these were... and they all ended up dying of mange. But this is when the pride started splitting apart, because of new cubs and males in the area. 

In 2020, the 4 older adult lioness started hanging out with Kruger males (the same as now) and another group of 5 were always spotted in Mala Mala (4 females, 1 male... 1 female went missing). 

So there aren't 17 adults running around, just probably 4 females and the male. New males would be perfect for this breakaway pride since these females are over 4 years old now and basically a pride of their own. As long as they move further into Kruger and leave Sabi Sands alone it could work out for everyone.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-05-2021, 11:50 PM by Tr1x24 )

(01-05-2021, 11:02 PM)Gijima Wrote: After looking into this, I'm realizing the Torchwood pride numbers are pretty straightforward... Mala Mala just added confusion to this in 2020 by making up random numbers and birth dates. From 2018-end of 2019 the pride was always reported to be 10 (4 adult females, 5 subadult female, 1 sub male). Then in 2019 Torchwood lioness had cubs and the number blew up to 17. I have no idea whose cubs these were... and they all ended up dying of mange. But this is when the pride started splitting apart, because of new cubs and males in the area. 

You are wrong. 

13 members from Torchwood pride in late 2018 (before those cubs who where born around 2019 who all died):

Also 14 members where reported at Jacis Sabie House in late 2018 also.. So 1 member was not on that picture.. 

Also theres another footage of whole Torchwood 13 lionesses and young male from Nkorho around beginning of 2020, i just cant find it now..

Torchwood pride definitely had 13 lionesses and 1 male (nobody said 17)... But its hard to follow them, because they are mostly in Kruger so we don't know whats going on with them..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

(01-05-2021, 11:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 11:02 PM)Gijima Wrote: After looking into this, I'm realizing the Torchwood pride numbers are pretty straightforward... Mala Mala just added confusion to this in 2020 by making up random numbers and birth dates. From 2018-end of 2019 the pride was always reported to be 10 (4 adult females, 5 subadult female, 1 sub male). Then in 2019 Torchwood lioness had cubs and the number blew up to 17. I have no idea whose cubs these were... and they all ended up dying of mange. But this is when the pride started splitting apart, because of new cubs and males in the area. 

You are wrong. 

13 members from Torchwood pride in late 2018 (before those cubs who where born around 2019 who all died):

Also theres another footage of whole Torchwood 13 lionesses and young male from Nkorho around beginning of 2020, i just cant find it now..

Torchwood pride definitely had 13 lionesses and 1 male... But its hard to follow them, because they are mostly in Kruger so we don't know whats going on with them..

I'm thinking many of these sub adults passed away. They would have only been 2-3 years old when the breakaways formed which is way too young to be alone. Most the reports since 2020 have been the Torchwood male with four sisters. Again I could be wrong, but I don't think may of these youngsters are still around. I think we tend to forget that most subadults don't make it to adulthood especially when there are so many shifts in male coalitions.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-05-2021, 11:49 PM)Gijima Wrote: I'm thinking many of these sub adults passed away. They would have only been 2-3 years old when the breakaways formed which is way too young to be alone. Most the reports since 2020 have been the Torchwood male with four sisters. Again I could be wrong, but I don't think may of these youngsters are still around. I think we tend to forget that most subadults don't make it to adulthood especially when there are so many shifts in male coalitions.

No they didn't, because they where seen in early 2020 all 14 members on Nkorho...
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Gijima Offline

Do you have a record of that? I have never heard of that number in 2020, especially since the Kruger males were spotted. I believe you; I just personally never read that.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 12:30 AM by Tr1x24 )

(01-05-2021, 11:55 PM)Gijima Wrote: Do you have a record of that? I have never heard of that number in 2020, especially since the Kruger males were spotted. I believe you; I just personally never read that.

Its a video, idk if from late 2019 or early 2020..i even posted it here.. Thats way before the Kruger males where starting to seeing with them.. 

Also just recently, also i posted here, MalaMala said 13 females and 1 male..

Edit:
I found the post:

There was 14 members there, go check it out, it has more screenshots.

That was prob the last recorded sighting of all Torchwood members together and this was after the breakaway started, around mid 2019..

Gijima Offline

(01-06-2021, 12:25 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(01-05-2021, 11:55 PM)Gijima Wrote: Do you have a record of that? I have never heard of that number in 2020, especially since the Kruger males were spotted. I believe you; I just personally never read that.

Its a video, idk if from late 2019 or early 2020..i even posted it here.. Thats way before the Kruger males where starting to seeing with them.. 

Also just recently, also i posted here, MalaMala said 13 females and 1 male..

Edit:
I found the post:

There was 14 members there, go check it out, it has more screenshots.

That was prob the last recorded sighting of all Torchwood members together and this was after the breakaway started, around mid 2019..

Ok great. That's the kind of photo/record I was looking for and I never found it. So there is a second breakaway somewhere too?? also how did Torchwoods only give birth to so many females? so strange but thanks for the clarification.
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(01-06-2021, 12:46 AM)Gijima Wrote: Ok great. That's the kind of photo/record I was looking for and I never found it. So there is a second breakaway somewhere too?? also how did Torchwoods only give birth to so many females? so strange but thanks for the clarification.

Idk, only few lionesses pop out at Nkorho with Kruger males, but they might be all together in Kruger..

Its hard to know what is happening with Torchwoods atm because their territory is in Kruger, they only pop out here and there in small gruops.. 

Yea, Torchwood male is a bit unlucky that he has 6/7 sisters and no brothers.. I think some cubs from 2017 litter died..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Nkuhuma pride with cubs

4 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita Sabi Sands update
  • A wonderful month viewing the Mhangene Pride. Comprising of six females, four cubs and the Othawa male, these lions have been seen throughout the property from the Sand River all the way down to the southern grassland regions.

• *This image is copyright of its original author
  • The Othawa sub-adults made a brief appearance on the western parts of the property, but the pride haven’t been a prominent feature in December.
  • One of the most unexpected and exciting finds was locating the Styx and Nkuhuma male lions on a young giraffe calf kill just to the east of the lodges. The males, now at four years old, are each looking in great health. We look forward to watching their progress as they transition from nomadic to territorial.

5 users Like Potato's post

Psyckoo Offline

Styx pride

Credits Facebook / Graeme Steward / Tyrone van der Walt / Erin Herbst / Andries Ndlovu
5 users Like Psyckoo's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Junior reunited with subadults, also with Sassy :

Photo Credit : Nadine Schutte

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"Just when it appears the Tumbela male lions have made their mark in the western sector of the Sabi Sand; two new male lions make their way into the territory.
The Nkuhuma and Styx male lions have been spotted together over the past few days in the area for the first time.
There is much excitement and anticipation as we await to see whether these two males will choose to stick around bring a whole new element to the current lion dynamics! "

Credit to Dulini Private Game reserve on FB

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like Tonpa's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 05:31 PM by Tonpa )

(01-07-2021, 06:46 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Junior reunited with subadults, also with Sassy :

Photo Credit : Nadine Schutte

Was HB with them?