There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-30-2020, 08:44 PM)Gijima Wrote: Two healthy males right? I know one male had a paw injury but based on this video he seems to be walking fine already.

This is Scorro Jr and Scar, limping one is not here..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-30-2020, 08:07 PM)Rabubi Wrote: How many sons did the Southern Matimbas sire who are now pride males, besides Hairy Belly Torchwood male?

All S. Matimbas offspring (sired after they split) was killed off by Bboys..

Gavskrr Offline

Good news, Hairy belly was spotted feeding on a giraffe in the company of the male Nkuhuma and male Styx, the king always surprising, his scar on his face seems to have been aggravated. 
I am not a great connoisseur of the hairy belly past but this is not his first encounter with Nkuhuma if I am not mistaken

*This image is copyright of its original author

photo credits: Gareth Poole
12/30/2010 - Singita

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Limping Tumbela with Othawa lionesses

3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

KNP male

4 users Like Potato's post

Musa15 Offline

Could just be a wrong impression but it seems like a large percentage of current Lions in SS are looking frail and underfed. Especially the males.
1 user Likes Musa15's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-31-2020, 08:19 PM)Musa15 Wrote: Could just be a wrong impression but it seems like a large percentage of current Lions in SS are looking frail and underfed. Especially the males.

Thats the rough life in the wild.. You eat when you catch something.. Cant catch something for few days, you look skinny ofc..

Musa15 Offline

(12-31-2020, 08:49 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-31-2020, 08:19 PM)Musa15 Wrote: Could just be a wrong impression but it seems like a large percentage of current Lions in SS are looking frail and underfed. Especially the males.

Thats the rough life in the wild.. You eat when you catch something.. Cant catch something for few days, you look skinny ofc..

Indeed but this seems a little more severe than just a few days without meals, that level of bony malnourished look takes longer to happen to a healthy Lion. But I'll admit I haven't been keeping up on SS situation so I don't know what the deal is with prey migration/which season etc.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-31-2020, 10:19 PM)Musa15 Wrote:

Indeed but this seems a little more severe than just a few days without meals, that level of bony malnourished look takes longer to happen to a healthy Lion. But I'll admit I haven't been keeping up on SS situation so I don't know what the deal is with prey migration/which season etc.

It is normal for a wild lion to go for a couple of days without any meal. They will be all right. From the all adult male lions in Sabi Sands only the Tumbela males were in the bad shape for somewhat longer time.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-31-2020, 10:19 PM)Musa15 Wrote: Indeed but this seems a little more severe than just a few days without meals, that level of bony malnourished look takes longer to happen to a healthy Lion. But I'll admit I haven't been keeping up on SS situation so I don't know what the deal is with prey migration/which season etc.

Yea, as @Potato said, only 2 Tumbelas look skinny, they have problems getting weight because they where prob malnourished in the past, but the rest of lions look good..

South Africa Rabubi Offline

As everybody else has mentioned, this is normal in the wild. The skinny KNP male just needs a good meal and he'll be 100% again. The Tumbelas are a different story seeing as the rangers speculate that at least one of them may have TB.
1 user Likes Rabubi's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

Most lions of Sabi Sands are healthy. Birmingham Males, Othawa, Styx, Torchwood, Nkuhuma, N'waswitshaka even though the Gored Male is slightly underdeveloped, Southern Avocas,Fourways Males are healthy still, Northern Avocas although they have some issues. Most are healthy lions.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 01-01-2021, 02:48 AM by Tr1x24 )

Great news, young lioness who was with Sand River young males returned to the pride:

4 adult lionesses is now a formidable pride down south.

Also that leading lioness is huge, 2 older ones are most likely sired by Toulon males.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

No, you're overthinking it I think. The Tumbelas had a tougher than usual nomadic life and are still bulking up. This Kruger male looks like most males after mating for a few days, HB is old af. I don't at all think that a large percentage of current Lions in SS are looking frail or underfed. That's simply not the case.
2 users Like sik94's post