There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Online
Moderators

The two Sand river young males at Skukuza
Photo by: Sav & Ben Adventures

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-06-2020, 05:01 AM)Gijima Wrote: Ok interesting... if she’s older than 10, she must have been one of the 2007 cubs that escaped the Mapogos, or born later in Manyeleti? I actually don’t know much about their history but I’m assuming since they were a Nkuhuma breakaway pride they would have been even further north than snaggletooth  nkuhuma and that core group.

Thinking the same, Silver Eyes and that lioness are prob those who run away from Mapogos, cousins or even littermates of Nana and Sizanani..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

India Raj8143 Offline
MR. T

(12-06-2020, 07:33 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The two Sand river young males at Skukuza

sired by ...?
1 user Likes Raj8143's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-06-2020, 02:42 PM)Raj8143 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 07:33 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: The two Sand river young males at Skukuza

sired by ...?

Mantimahles
1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(12-06-2020, 02:42 PM)Raj8143 Wrote:

sired by ...?
The Mantimahle  coalition as Potato has mentioned

T I N O Online
Moderators

One of the two Sand River males seen recently at Skukuza in the Kruger National Park
KNP-Skukuza-12.06.20.
Photo by: Anton du Toit

T I N O Online
Moderators

Another stunning shot of the two Sand River young males sired by the Mantimahle coalition a couple of years ago.
KNP-Near Skukuza-12.06.20.
Photo by: CD Tours

T I N O Online
Moderators

Part of the Talamati pride heading to the water to drink on a hot afternoon
Sabi Sands-Djuma PGR-12.06.20.
Photo by: Legend Safaris

3 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Avoca male lion Blondie
Sabi Sands-GKNP-12.06.20
image credits: Africa Journey Nature Experience
5 users Like T I N O's post

United States felinefan Offline

(12-06-2020, 05:45 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

@about 2:40 into this video when the Othawa male turns away from the cubs, there are some distinct scratch marks on his side? Who has he been in a fight with? Hope he is not getting into trouble.

T I N O Online
Moderators

Beautiful Princess from the Tsalala/Marthly Lion Pride 
MalaMala-Sabi Sand,date 11/27/2020.
Image credit:Jackie Boshoff

1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

Found this interesting clip about identifying the famous Nkuhuma Pride of Lions.  

The oldest one at the time this was put out was Nana of the Nkuhumas, by far, born in 2007.  Then, the next oldest ones were born in 2012.  A big age gap.

Is Nana Junior's and Purple Eyes' mother?  There were no other lionesses around the age of Nana now in the pride to be the dam of Junior...unless she died prematurely or was an even older lioness.  Someone posted in the comment's section of a video recently that she's his mother.  

It's interesting how a few of the lionesses have distinctive ridges around their nose....just like Hairy Belly. No other male lions had those in the Matimba Coalition, right?  I'm not sure about which of the Matimbas had what color eyes, though.  HB with his amber ones and Ginger with his light tawny ones is all I recall, but not about the other 4.  

Amber Eyes, born in 2013 and then another lioness was born in 2014.  These two should definitely be daughters of the Southern Matimbas.... The coalition split at the end of 2012 or early 2013, not sure of the exact date.

No information in the video about their familial relationship, though, which would have been helpful!

3 users Like Cath2020's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

(12-07-2020, 09:21 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Beautiful Princess from the Tsalala/Marthly Lion Pride 

Whoa!  Look at those eyes and ridges....  Nduna, the lion which everybody says is her father, has every light eyes.  Her mother has darker eyes, too. Wink)

Beautiful lioness.  How old is she now?
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-07-2020, 10:50 AM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(12-07-2020, 09:21 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: Beautiful Princess from the Tsalala/Marthly Lion Pride 

Whoa!  Look at those eyes and ridges....  Nduna, the lion which everybody says is her father, has every light eyes.  Her mother has darker eyes, too. Wink)

Beautiful lioness.  How old is she now?

She is just over 1 and half years old and the fathers are Birmingham males, not Nduna.
3 users Like Potato's post