There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Maximus Offline

(11-23-2020, 04:08 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 02:24 PM)Potato I was asking if anyone has information of what breed of lion Hairy Belly is.His build and how his hair grows under along his belly he resembles a Southern Cape Lion and originated from southern cape of South Africa and were pushed out and hunted to near extinction which would make Hairy Belly even more special than he already is. Wrote: "Do you know if Hairy Belly is a Southern Cape Lion.They were very big lions and their is not many on record anymore. "

Hairy Belly oryginates from Birmingham pride in Timbavati Game Reserve. He is lion from Greater Kruger Park.

"I am not taking anything away from him but just because the lions in the Mara receive treatment does not mean they don’t have it bad they still have to fight and hunt."

SStill they have huge advantage over Kruger lions.

"However,I believe that Nathan cannot seen your answer as he was been banned from WildFact today after of some behavior that isn't tolerated in this site"

What did he acctually did? Were some of his comments deleted and I can not see his insaults or somethink. Wasn't he just banned for thinking that HB is 15 years old was he?
If he was banned It's because must be a reason
1 user Likes Maximus's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-23-2020, 11:04 PM)Maximus Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 02:24 PM)Potato I was asking if anyone has information of what breed of lion Hairy Belly is.His build and how his hair grows under along his belly he resembles a Southern Cape Lion and originated from southern cape of South Africa and were pushed out and hunted to near extinction which would make Hairy Belly even more special than he already is. Wrote: "Do you know if Hairy Belly is a Southern Cape Lion.They were very big lions and their is not many on record anymore. "

Hairy Belly oryginates from Birmingham pride in Timbavati Game Reserve. He is lion from Greater Kruger Park.

"I am not taking anything away from him but just because the lions in the Mara receive treatment does not mean they don’t have it bad they still have to fight and hunt."

"However,I believe that Nathan cannot seen your answer as he was been banned from WildFact today after of some behavior that isn't tolerated in this site"

What did he acctually did? Were some of his comments deleted and I can not see his insaults or somethink. Wasn't he just banned for thinking that HB is 15 years old was he?

Yeah,Anyway HB has born into the Birmingham pride in 2006. Which means  that he's a lion from the Greater Kruger National Park. Often some lions has a big mane and rarely but often they has hair on his belly.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-24-2020, 04:08 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 11:04 PM)Maximus Wrote:
(11-23-2020, 02:24 PM)Potato I was asking if anyone has information of what breed of lion Hairy Belly is.His build and how his hair grows under along his belly he resembles a Southern Cape Lion and originated from southern cape of South Africa and were pushed out and hunted to near extinction which would make Hairy Belly even more special than he already is. Wrote: "Do you know if Hairy Belly is a Southern Cape Lion.They were very big lions and their is not many on record anymore. "

Yeah,Anyway HB has born into the Birmingham pride in 2006. Which means  that he's a lion from the Greater Kruger National Park. Often some lions has a big mane and rarely but often they has hair on his belly.

@Maximus Please start filling out your replies at the bottom of the quoted message to which you are replying. Thank you
*This image is copyright of its original author

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Dark mane Avoca and Talamati pride

1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Throwback at Mhangeni Pride and DM after they killed Sparta lioness (current old Spartas lioness sister) in 2017:

Its interesting how Sparta and Tsalala's had similar path since Majingilanes abandon them, having 3 males and only 1 female who reached to adulthood from Majingilanes offspring in both prides was at the end bad for the pride numbers, as young males obiviously would left the pride..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

The last Xinhumgwe lioness and her beautiful daughter sitting on top of a termite hill at Simbambili area
Simbambili,-Sabi Sands,-11/24/2020.
Photo credit to: Tendai Moyo Photography(Africa Journey Nature Experience)
5 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 04:43 AM by Potato )

(11-25-2020, 01:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Throwback at Mhangeni Pride and DM after they killed Sparta lioness (current old Spartas lioness sister) in 2017:

Its interesting how Sparta and Tsalala's had similar path since Majingilanes abandon them, having 3 males and only 1 female who reached to adulthood from Majingilanes offspring in both prides was at the end bad for the pride numbers, as young males obiviously would left the pride..

The title of the video is wrong I think, or I am not aware or such event. I know that around that time Kambulas (Mhangeni Breakaway) killed one of the Sparta females in the process of taking over their territory and I think it is them with one of the Matshapiri males or as I said there was indeed some other Sparta female killed at that time I am not aware of.

Edit: At 0:37 you can see that this male has Mohawk mane. I am pretty sure it is Mohawk Matshapiri.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-25-2020, 04:40 AM)Potato Wrote: The title of the video is wrong I think, or I am not aware or such event. I know that around that time Kambulas (Mhangeni Breakaway) killed one of the Sparta females in the process of taking over their territory and I think it is them with one of the Matshapiri males or as I said there was indeed some other Sparta female killed at that time I am not aware of.

Edit: At 0:37 you can see that this male has Mohawk mane. I am pretty sure it is Mohawk Matshapiri.

Yea you are right, i totally forget that Kambula killed Sparta lioness..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

The impressive Othawa king with the Mangheni lion pride at Singita Boulders Lodge in Sabi Sands
Singita,-Sabi Sands,-11/25/2020.
Photo credits to: Rochelle Paterson Reineke

3 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

The calm before the storm: Singita Sabi Sand Field Guide, Quinton Paul Josop, captured the Mhangene lionesses and their cubs in a moment of quiet repose at Joe’s Pan. Shortly afterwards, the lionesses leapt into action, stalking, catching and killing a hyena who had the misfortune to wander into the area.⁠
Singita,-Sabi Sands,-11/25/2020.
Photo credits to: Singita_(Insta post)

T I N O Online
Moderators

The second Tsalala Tailless lioness (her mother was the first) on the banks of the Manyelethi Riverbed. This was at a time when the Tsalala Pride still had numbers, although the three young males were never likely to stay with the pride for long. The Tsalala name now rests with only two lions; a female and her daughter. Can they reconstitute a functional pride?
Londolozi,-Sabi Sands,-11/01/2015(November 2015)
Photo credit to: James Tyrell

T I N O Online
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2020, 07:12 PM by T I N O )

As far as I can remember, the pride had just come off a kill of some sort. I forget what, but given the area it was more than likely a nyala or kudu. Poking her head up at the back of the picture is the current Tsalala lioness, then aged just over two years.
Londolozi,-Sabi Sands,-11/01/2015(November 2015)
Photo credit to: James Tyrell
Note: The hole in the back near of his tail on the Tsalala male. Will that help at some point to ID him!!?

T I N O Online
Moderators

The beautiful Othawa male lion at Singita Ebony Lodge, Sabi Sands. 
Singita,-Sabi Sands,-25/11/2020,!
Photo credit to: Gareth Poole

2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

The beautiful Tsalala/Marthly lioness at MalaMala Game Reserve!
Her daugher now is 20 months old and now her  can participate in the hunts. Such great news!! As we know,The bloodline of this legendary pride depends on her skills and adaptations to the difficult times her will have to go through, Her doesn't has a easy way to go.  For now this Tsalala female of approx 7 years old has been proven us that her It's an awesome huntress and mother, as their  ancesters. The Tsalala tailless females
MalaMala Gam Reserve,-Sabi Sands,-Posted:25/11/2020,!
Photo credit to: Jackie Boshoff

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

[color=var(--primary-text)]The Southern Pride lioness and her 2 cubs seen on safari this morning.
[/color]

https://www.facebook.com/SabiSabiReserve/videos/221569679313335