There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2020, 02:39 PM by Cath2020 )

Yes, I believe Olbernoti was born in Jan of 2015 and HB slightly later.  That's not too far behind and both can make it to 16, hopefully....  One can see HB already losing some form, so I'll be surprised if this old lion can make it another year....    If Lolparpit had died in a couple of months, he could have just reached 16, but he was doing well to just make it this far, considering the vets bought him more time to survive....
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Pakistan Nathan Aiden Offline
Banned

As i mentioned lions in Mara and other areas receive treatments from vets and are saved in near conditions. The lions you mentioned above were seen by vets numerous times and monitored till they recovered.
Lions in Mara can live long due to this and there would be individuals who be as old as Hb no doubt.

I think we should give this title to HB as the oldest living Male Lion right now. As he received no help or treatment and survived the hard way. How he came back from a dead situation was unbelievable. Not once many times. Deserves to be recognised. Lived the hard way and surviving the harsh nature.
1 user Likes Nathan Aiden's post

Banned

HB was born in May so he is a few months younger. So both can be called the oldest.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(11-22-2020, 02:38 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Yes, I believe Olbernoti was born in Jan of 2015 and HB slightly later.  That's not too far behind and both can make it to 16, hopefully....  One can see HB already losing some form, so I'll be surprised if this old lion can make it another year....    If Lolparpit had died in a couple of months, he could have just reached 16, but he was doing well to just make it this far, considering the vets bought him more time to survive....

Yeah,Quite interesting how lions from different areas have born almost in the same time. Olbarnoti is around 15 at this time while HB is 14 years old for now. He's a true legend
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

*This image is copyright of its original author

The Rollercoaster males on the move!

Image by: Jose Cortes III
6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Othawa male with the Mangheni pride enjoying a good meal at Singita Ebony Lodge
Singita-Sabi Sands-Posted on November 22/2020.
Photo credit to: dnl23(Insta post)
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(11-22-2020, 02:18 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: Olbarnoti, brother of Lolparpit (and Cheza, Sala, and Junior) was born in 2005 and is cucurrently one of, if not the oldest living male lion in the wild. It is documented in the Mara Predetor Project. Hairy Belly is close behind from what I read.

Interesting information!
HB is 1 year younger than Olbarnoti I believe
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the two oldest Othawa lionesses (Junior mom) with one of the three Tumbela males on his back of her. A promising coalition for this pride.
Ulusaba- Sir Richard Branson's Private Game Reserve-Sabi Sands-Posted on November 22/2020.
Photo credit to: Sam Henning
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Ximhungwe lioness and her beautiful daughter sired by the Northern Avoca males!
Arathusa Safari Lodge-Sabi Sands-Posted on November 22/2020.
Photo credit to: Dean Robinson

3 users Like T I N O's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

(11-22-2020, 04:22 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(11-22-2020, 02:38 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: Yes, I believe Olbernoti was born in Jan of 2015 and HB slightly later.  That's not too far behind and both can make it to 16, hopefully....  One can see HB already losing some form, so I'll be surprised if this old lion can make it another year....    If Lolparpit had died in a couple of months, he could have just reached 16, but he was doing well to just make it this far, considering the vets bought him more time to survive....

Yeah,Quite interesting how lions from different areas have born almost in the same time. Olbarnoti is around 15 at this time while HB is 14 years old for now. He's a true legend

I cannot vouch for 15 or 14 years old as I wasn't around when he was born and following lions.  There are many who believe him to be born in May 2015.  There are some who say early 2006, and even those that insist it's in 2007!  I'm not going to get into a debate with you about the exact year and even month.  I would speak to those rangers who have followed this lion and his pride in those years he was thought to have been born, and I'd get different opinions from multiple rangers and then come to a conclusion.....  Based on his looks and conditioning, it is consistent with that of a 15 year old lion....or almost 15 years old if you insist.

Again, photos do not really work unless the date is already on the photo or it's authenticated by an expert who vouches for the exact year..... Heck, I don't even know myself many of the photos I've taken 5+ years ago exactly...  

If he dies by April of next year or earlier, he'd still be 15, regardless.  I suppose the big debate will occur if he turns 16 in May and dies afterwards in the latter part of the year, then there will be an eruption on all the lion fan sites that he was 16 vs 15 vs 14....etc....for weeks on end!
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Banned

There are very few people who disagree on his age. Like 4 who i know well who are supporters of other lion groups, Birminghams and Majingilanes. So it's natural for them to disapprove and disagree.. even though they do not have any proof on their claims.

Since it will be decided by rangers on how old he is on their posts on that day... And yes there will be discussion when he survives till May 2021 since there is a video of Savanna Game Reserve Facebook saying HB was born in May in 2005. And yes there will be discussion also on his natal pride, since Ngala rangers said he was born in Phelwane pride.

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2020, 09:12 PM by T I N O )

No worries at all. I know with who I should debating and with which no. As well I'm not interesting debating once again with the same thing. I'm sure 101% about what I say and I stay behind my own words,I am satisfied with that. I do not need to investigate anything, I have the evidence and I will reserve it for myself
Regards  Ha Ha

T I N O Offline
Moderators

TBT - The handsome Nkuhuma male "Sizanani" in all his glory at Sabi Sands Game Reserve in SA.
Sabi Sand-Posted on September 2013
Photo credit to: Giovanni Mari

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Mapogo lions! The mighty General Makhulu back in 2003 at Sabi Sands!
Photo credit to: Kim Wolhuter

Gijima Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-22-2020, 09:37 PM by Gijima )

@Cath2020 but people did provide multiple dated images (real dates by the photographers) and matched the whisker spot patterns to HB. We have pictures of him from 2007-2011 and videos too after that clearly seeing his development. 

This forum constantly gets overtaken by people who want to say that “[their favorite lion] is the biggest, tallest, oldest, etc” and can’t accept that other can respectfully disagree with them. The fact that @Nathan Aiden you accuse certain people of bias is ridiculous... they are the ones who are doing all the research to keep many of our forums active. Tino has probably  posted the most info in the Matimba thread this year... how is that bias?

Why not just appreciate HB and continue to provide good information on him? You used to give updates from the western sector all the time... Just share good info like we’re all trying to do here.
5 users Like Gijima's post