There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-21-2020, 06:14 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 06:10 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Definitely not that young unless there is 2 different ages in the pride because they have cubs around 2 years old in the Fourways Pride. Perhaps 7 or 8. I do think one of the males is older than the other by atleast a year.

Theres no way that lion on the picture is 8 yrs old.. 

That cub of 2 yrs old is prob not theirs, they where first seen with Fourways in early 2019, in late 2018 Fourways where still with Torchwood male.. 

They are prob 6 to 7 yrs old..

The 5th Mantimahle was with the 4 ways pride in mid 2019 too

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Kruger males close to Tshokwane in the Kruger National Park
Image by: Hanrie Coetzee
Image date back from: June 2019

*This image is copyright of its original author
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 06:29 PM by T I N O )

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

The handsome Kruger males strolling through Sabi Sands
The true king of the bush
Filmed this beautiful male on a recent photo safari to the Sabi Sands
Look at his size! This beautiful specimen is a true beast.
I hope the Torchwood pride cubs can reach the adulthood someday
3 users Like T I N O's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-21-2020, 06:20 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: He's most probably (- +7) years old.
The Kruger males were being seen  in the northern Sabi Sands for the last 2-3 years.

We dont know if those are this males..

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-21-2020, 06:22 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 06:10 PM)Slayerd Wrote: Definitely not that young unless there is 2 different ages in the pride because they have cubs around 2 years old in the Fourways Pride. Perhaps 7 or 8. I do think one of the males is older than the other by atleast a year.

That cub of 2 yrs old is prob not theirs, they where first seen with Fourways in early 2019, in late 2018 Fourways where still with Torchwood male.. 

Wasn't it Plains Camp pride with which 5th Mantimahle was seen wrongly described as Fourways pride?
1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 06:52 PM by T I N O )

(10-21-2020, 06:30 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 06:20 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: He's most probably (- +7) years old.
The Kruger males were being seen  in the northern Sabi Sands for the last 2-3 years.

We dont know if those are this males..

As per Nkorho rangers are these males...

Story of the Kruger males.
In the last 2-3 years, we have had some visits form two unknown male lions crossing over from the Kruger National Park onto Nkorho and our  traversing  area. These males have probably never seen any vehicles in their life, and for that reason they kept a low profile away from us.
Luckily during this time we have had some great  sightings of them around. Thankful for the Torchwood pride, who are luckily habituated with our vehicles, these males are slowly starting to get used to us. In time, if we treat them the same way we treat other animals with the vehicles, these males will gain our trust.
In the last two months, we were lucky enough to have had these males in our area and we could see a huge improvement in their behavior towards us. I really do hope that these males settle into the territory along with the Torchwood pride and that we can have a solid pride of lions.

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-21-2020, 06:30 PM)Potato Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 06:22 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Wasn't it Plains Camp pride with which 5th Mantimahle was seen wrongly described as Fourways pride?
I think that Kirkman's Kamp rangers are capable ID the lions that are moving through their traversy

After a long absence, the Nomadic Fourways Pride made and appearance on our Eastern Bank again.But this time with a different Pride Male. It did look as if they had killed something, but them moved back into the Kruger the following day.
----------
1 user Likes T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Had a easy life if they are 8.look 6, maybe 7 to me
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-21-2020, 06:30 PM)Potato Wrote: Wasn't it Plains Camp pride with which 5th Mantimahle was seen wrongly described as Fourways pride?

Yes.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-21-2020, 06:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Story of the Kruger males.
In the last 2-3 years, we have had some visits form two unknown male lions crossing over from the Kruger National Park onto Nkorho and our  traversing  area. These males have probably never seen any vehicles in their life, and for that reason they kept a low profile away from us.
Luckily during this time we have had some great  sightings of them around. Thankful for the Torchwood pride, who are luckily habituated with our vehicles, these males are slowly starting to get used to us. In time, if we treat them the same way we treat other animals with the vehicles, these males will gain our trust.
In the last two months, we were lucky enough to have had these males in our area and we could see a huge improvement in their behavior towards us. I really do hope that these males settle into the territory along with the Torchwood pride and that we can have a solid pride of lions.

They said 2,3 yrs.. So they are not entirely sure too it seems..

As far as I remember, first rumors came in mid 2019 that Torchwood pride was seen with 2 new unknown males, and they supposedly had 5 cubs at that time.. obiviously cubs didnt survive.. (this report was posted here at that time).

3 yrs ago, 4 Bboys where still with Torchwood pride and very much dominant in whole that area.. 

Maybe the young male that Bboys killed in Kruger in 2017 is their brother? Could be..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

King Nhenha Londolozi

Credit : Geust Mritunjayk

Attached Files Image(s)

5 users Like Slayerd's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-21-2020, 08:08 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 06:48 PM)TinoArmando Wrote: Story of the Kruger males.

They said 2,3 yrs.. So they are not entirely sure too it seems..

As far as I remember, first rumors came in mid 2019 that Torchwood pride was seen with 2 new unknown males, and they supposedly had 5 cubs at that time.. obiviously cubs didnt survive.. (this report was posted here at that time).

3 yrs ago, 4 Bboys where still with Torchwood pride and very much dominant in whole that area.. 

Maybe the young male that Bboys killed in Kruger in 2017 is their brother? Could be..
Could be. Why not?
If I remember around 2 years ago a male lion appear at Nkorho Bush Lodge and on Web cam too
I'll try to find the post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 10:10 PM by Tr1x24 )

Nose pigmentation is the best way to determine lions age, althrough it can vary to some degree depended of individual,some may have darker earlier then others, but its roughly very similar..

So lets see with few examples of males with recent pictures, first 4 yrs old males :

(Styx, Nkuhuma,Torchwood males) 

Nose very pink, with very few black dots.. 

5 yrs old (estimated age of Nwaswitshakas) :

(Dominant, Belly Scar, Orange Eyes) 

More pigmentation then 4 yrs old males, Wide Nosed male has the most black nose of the 4,so he is prob the oldest of them..

Around 6 yrs old males :

(Othawa male, RRM) 

Much more black pigment.. 

7 yrs old is even more darker:

(Mohawk, Blondie, DM) 

8 yrs is pretty much similar as 7, but after that nose is pretty much all black:

(Nhenha and Tinyo at 10 yrs of age)

I think this is very informative so i made this, but lets now see the nose of that 1 Kruger male :

1 year ago, picture taken in mid 2019:

He has nose similar to Nwaswitshakas, i would say around 5 yrs old there.. Also his mane look very young, similar to Othawa male mane before and Nwaswitshakas manes now.. 

Recent :

Now, everybody has their opinions, but i think based of this, that this male is 6-6.5 yrs old now.. 

His partner looks to be older, prob 7-7.5 yrs old (much darker nose and mane).. 

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(10-21-2020, 09:41 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Nose pigmentation is the best way to determine lions age, althrough it can vary to some degree depended of individual,some may have darker earlier then others, but its roughly very similar..

So lets see with few examples of males with recent pictures, first 4 yrs old males :

(Styx, Nkuhuma,Torchwood males) 

Nose very pink, with very few black dots.. 

5 yrs old (estimated age of Nwaswitshakas) :

(Dominant, Belly Scar, Orange Eyes) 

More pigmentation then 4 yrs old males, Wide Nosed male has the most black nose of the 4,so he is prob the oldest of them..

Around 6 yrs old males :

(Othawa male, RRM) 

Much more black pigment.. 

7 yrs old is even more darker:

(Mohawk, Blondie, DM) 

8 yrs is pretty much similar as 7, but after that nose is pretty much all black:

(Nhenha and Tinyo at 10 yrs of age)

I think this is very informative so i made this, but lets now see the nose of that 1 Kruger male :

1 year ago, picture taken in mid 2019:

He has nose similar to Nwaswitshakas, i would say around 5 yrs old there.. Also his mane look very young, similar to Othawa male mane before and Nwaswitshakas manes now.. 

Recent :

Now, everybody has their opinions, but i think based of this, that this male is 6-6.5 yrs old now.. 

His partner looks to be older, prob 7-7.5 yrs old..
Let's see what Nkorho rangers say. 
They're trying to given them a name soon
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

1 of the 2 Kruger males near Jones Dam a few years ago.
Now he's being seen more and more in the northern Sabi Sands with the Torchwood pride.
Only time will tell if they choose Sabi Sands as their main territory.
Image credits goes to his Original Author