There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-28-2020, 03:52 PM)Nathan Aiden Wrote: Two of the Northern Matimba Males who dominated Ngala from 2012 to 2017.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcoun3RBw_a/...5ppa38njep

This should be posted on Matimba coalition thread.
3 users Like T I N O's post

Pakistan Nathan Aiden Offline
Banned

Updates Western sabisands by Ranger Thomas Owen 

[Nothing new or particularly exciting, the Tumbelas are still with the one Ottawa female. Matimba alone somewhere and the rest of the Ottawa’s have split up, I’m sure they’ll come together in the next few days]
3 users Like Nathan Aiden's post

Banned

Updates Western sabisands by Brandon Birch

From our side we don’t have guests so no drives out.

But the manghene pride and othawa male is a kill in the south and the othawa pride is south and west of us.
5 users Like Nathan Aiden's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFtnG8sAjG2/ - Othawa "Nguvu" male made rare and brief visit to Mala Mala game reserve.
4 users Like Dreadlocks's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-28-2020, 08:06 PM)Nathan Aiden Wrote: Tumbela Males may look like 3 year old Males but are actually 5 years old now.

So looks don't always tell the correct age of a lion. Skorro Males who are over 6 years old also looked like 3/4 year old males.

Pic credit: Johan de la Rey

Actually you're wrong.

Skorro males (matimba sons) have grown a lot,they really look like beast and has a impressive size!

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-29-2020, 08:38 PM)Dreadlocks Wrote: https://www.instagram.com/p/CFtnG8sAjG2/ - Othawa "Nguvu" male made rare and brief visit to Mala Mala game reserve.

He was with one of the Kambula females,I believe the infertile female.

Where is the Othawa male (MM) is a risky area for him if the two Gowrie caught him,he not will live to count it
2 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-01-2020, 01:54 AM by Tr1x24 )

Kambula pride new cubs and some members on a buffalo kill:

Unfortunately apperantly 1 Kambula youngster is lost and is pressumed dead, idk from which litter, so they are down to 13 subadults/cubs (not counting in new cubs)..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-28-2020, 08:06 PM)Nathan Aiden Wrote: Tumbela Males may look like 3 year old Males but are actually 5 years old now.

So looks don't always tell the correct age of a lion. Skorro Males who are over 6 years old also looked like 3/4 year old males.

Development of males depends of how harsh their life has been.. males who stay with their natal pride longer, or have short nomadic life are usually more and sooner developed because of less stres and constant source of food (for example Othawa male and currently Torchwood male) then males who are ousted very early from their prides and have long tough nomadic life (Nkuhuma male).

Tumbelas where not ousted early, but it seems that they had very tough 1 year of nomadic life as they have lost 2 brothers already.. So they are a bit under develop for their age, but as soon as they find a pride for themselves that will change..

Scorro males are now quite impressive tho..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-01-2020, 05:14 PM by Nathan Aiden )

Updates from West. Not mentioning rangers name this time as i was told not to.

Othawa pride is split up into 3 groups now. 2 older females together and apart on occasions. 3 sub adults and mom own their own. Older sub adult and HB Matimba together far from the rest in South.

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-01-2020, 07:51 PM by Cath2020 )

Okay, interesting update if true.  Junior seems to be with step-daddy HB now!  As far as he's concerned, that's the only one he knows and is his 'true' dad since he probably never even met his Majing. ones.  Maybe he'll take some tips from him.  Good to know he may be helping out old HB while hunting and learning the ropes.  Seems to me that they can hunt capably on their own now??! 

He might have been curious and intrigued by the old lion wandering away and decided to follow, while his pride brothers chose to stay with mom for the time being.  They are a good 7 months younger, which makes a big difference during the sub-adult years....  Still, I hope that in the future, they'll all be together when they have to leave the pride. 

Incredible.  In my eyes, the dynamics of the Othawa Pride and what's been transpiring is truly worthy of a special documentary.  The old Mapogo daughters have been busy bees lately.  While big Aunty Othawa has been marathon mating with the Tumbelas, distracting them, her sister has been in and out of the scene with some story of her own that's not yet crystal clear.....Perhaps seen mating with them as well, but already on their side for now. 

The pride fractures.  Sassy and her subs alone, depending on her utterly.  Meanwhile, the older sub suddenly disappears for days and joins the old pride male on his wanderings....
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Banned

Older sub adult is smart in doing so. He perhaps senses that staying with lionesses means trouble. Tumbela will follow the females. Tsalala pride sub adults didn't survive for the same reason stayed with their mom.

Banned

Hairy Belly is probably the oldest living Male lion in the wild. He holds the title for me now because Lolparpit and Olbarnoti had received treatment and still receive now. They had near death injuries and were saved by the vets.

The Matimba Male has lived and fought hard to be where he is. He deserves the recognition he gets.
1 user Likes Nathan Aiden's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-01-2020, 08:06 PM)Nathan Aiden Wrote: Older sub adult is smart in doing so. He perhaps senses that staying with lionesses means trouble. Tumbela will follow the females. Tsalala pride sub adults didn't survive for the same reason stayed with their mom.

I think young Othawa male would have much better odds if he would stay with Sassy and her subs. HB will be just robbing young male from most of the kills.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-01-2020, 09:17 PM by Tr1x24 )

(10-01-2020, 09:08 PM)Potato Wrote: I think young Othawa male would have much better odds if he would stay with Sassy and her subs. HB will be just robbing young male from most of the kills.

This is prob just temporary split, i dont think he will stay with HB for long, prob both of them will rejoin the pride soon..

Junior is 2.5 yrs old, so its normal that he doesnt stick with the pride 24/7 anymore..

Theres still no reports that Tumbelas are attacking Othawa youngsters or HB..

It seems they are busy with older Othawa females for now..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2020, 06:29 AM by Nathan Aiden )

Two Matimba Male Lions at the age of 6 years old in Northernsabisands. 2011

https://youtu.be/1tJgbOqgers

Attached Files Image(s)