There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

" also hyping up that the Birminghams are going to fall "

Any coalition will fall sooner or later. It is not somethink bad to try to predict when somethink like that will happen. They do not do any harm to those lions by posting such predictions. 

"Like saying the lioness who was infertile became pregnant when she actually hasn't. As a fan of lions who loves accurate reports on the lions I admire, it's really frustrating"

That one was unfortunate indeed, but is it really single false info enough that say Londolozi is bad? I do not think so at all. 

"Also how they always use bad pictures of Tinyo for advertising how these boys are ageing when he is a much scruffier and amore scared lion than Nhenha"

Birminghams are ageing, that is a fact. The last two Birminghams are 10 years old, an age not many wild lions live to. 

"Mala Mala doesnt do this either"

Mala Mala do such predictions as well as just about any lodge which is providing regular reports. We (usres on the forum) also do such predictions here and there. There is nothink wrong with it.
2 users Like Potato's post

Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 03:36 AM by Slayerd )

(09-23-2020, 03:21 AM)Potato Wrote: " also hyping up that the Birminghams are going to fall "

Any coalition will fall sooner or later. It is not somethink bad to try to predict when somethink like that will happen. They do not do any harm to those lions by posting such predictions. 

"Like saying the lioness who was infertile became pregnant when she actually hasn't. As a fan of lions who loves accurate reports on the lions I admire, it's really frustrating"

That one was unfortunate indeed, but is it really single false info enough that say Londolozi is bad? I do not think so at all. 

"Also how they always use bad pictures of Tinyo for advertising how these boys are ageing when he is a much scruffier and amore scared lion than Nhenha"

Birminghams are ageing, that is a fact. The last two Birminghams are 10 years old, an age not many wild lions live to. 

"Mala Mala doesnt do this either"

Mala Mala do such predictions as well as just about any lodge which is providing regular reports. We (usres on the forum) also do such predictions here and there. There is nothink wrong with it.
Predicting and formulating stories are 2 very different things. Yes all lions will eventually lose territory but what exactly is the point of continously bringing it up any time you talk about the coalition that is dominant at your reserve? Nothing. The Lioness was not the only incorrect info, them saying many of the Kambula have been mating with the Othawa male when it was only the infertile lioness is also misleading info. Yes the Birminghams are ageing but they are not old grandpa's, they are experienced warriors. You're right, not many lions live to 10 and that in itself can be advertised, why always talk about them Ageing? Talk about how amazing the lions in your reserve are. Mala Mala predictions only happens as something happens and they don't do these kinds of posts either.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

Honestly I enjoy reading their blog and updates. To build interest you have to build a narrative otherwise there won't be much to write about or read about. Do I like seeing photos of lions, yes, but I also scroll along without paying much attention if there isn't a context available. We probably wouldn't have half the people on this board if not for the sensationalism of Brothers in Blood and "they killed 100 lions."

Also, we put our own spin on things too. We see it on this board all the time.
3 users Like Matimbalani's post

New Zealand Selati Offline

Not a massive fan of Londolozi's posts, but in some ways it does make sense from a business perspective. They probably think that by suggesting the Birminghams are ageing, people will think there will be a takeover soon. The idea of a potential conflict will probably encourage more people to visit. 10 years isn't necessarily that old though, especially in recent times in Sabi Sands where we have seen a fair few coalitions that were still dominant well beyond the age of 10. Birminghams are also holding strong at the moment, chasing Othawa Male and N'waswitshakas in recent months.
2 users Like Selati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 01:27 PM by Potato )

There is a bit of a shake up around Leopard Hills. The young Thumbela male lions have extended their reach deeper into the reserve. They have finally met with an Othawa female and have started mating.

We were delighted to finally catch a glimpse of a long awaited lion cub. One of the Ximungwe lionesses has come back for a visit and showed off her youngster.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Potato's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

" In this episode: We find the Nkuhuma pride and the Northern Avoca males with their 2nd buffalo bull kill in as many days! ... For all those who wanted to come to MalaMala but cannot, we're bringing MalaMala to you. "

Dated from the 23th August 2020.
4 users Like Spalea's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 09:41 PM by Tr1x24 )

Ximhungwe lionesses young male cub at Ulusaba:

It seems that even with a cub Ximhungwe lioness still roams her usual rout, from western sector, thru Simbambili and to southwestern Manyeleti..

I know that odds for that male to reach adulthood are very slim, especially because his mom is still roaming alot, but if she succeed to raise him, that would be one of the most epic storyline ever..

I know that Hildas Rock male was raised in a similar waay, but idk if he was alone with his mother since his birth or later on..

Anyways, im cheering for this boy..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Exiting times on the horizon for us With the three Tumbela males starting to take over the West. They are already mating with one of the Othawa females.
Sabi Sand,Sept 23.,2020.
Photo credits: Johan de la Rey Wildlife Photography

9 users Like T I N O's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-24-2020, 12:01 AM by Tr1x24 )

Tumbela males with Othawa female on a hippo carcass in western sector :

Photo Credit : diffmarimane

This boys will be beasts when they bulk up, very tall and long bodies it looks like..

I found this photo of Sizanani with Nharu pride cubs from October 2016 from Tintswalo :

It looks like this boys are born in early 2016, and are now 4.5 or few months older.. 

I think the male with scar on his eye is sired by Sizanani :

This male by Scorro :

And idk about this one, maybe Scorro :

6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Johan Van Zyl: " Brotherhood... "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-23-2020, 11:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Tumbela males with Othawa female on a hippo carcass in western sector :

This boys will be beasts when they bulk up, very tall and long bodies it looks like..

I found this photo of Sizanani with Nharu pride cubs from October 2016 from Tintswalo :

It looks like this boys are born in early 2016, and are now 4.5 or few months older.. 

This male by Scorro :

The oldest Nharu litter is from November 2015. I can't say for sure from my memory, but I think there wasn't any significant age difference between Nharu litters and all Tumbela males should be born by the end of 2015 and so they are turning 5 years old soon. Thanda Impi haven't been big males and so I do not think those boys will be among largest lions around either. Also as already 4 years old they were easly chassed around by Red Road male so I do not think they will be beastly. They do not need to be tho as they got into region dominated by two single dominant males and so they shouldn't have any problem with taking over entire western sector soon.
2 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-24-2020, 01:34 AM)Potato Wrote:
(09-23-2020, 11:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Tumbela males with Othawa female on a hippo carcass in western sector :

This male by Scorro :

The oldest Nharu litter is from November 2015. I can't say for sure from my memory, but I think there wasn't any significant age difference between Nharu litters and all Tumbela males should be born by the end of 2015 and so they are turning 5 years old soon. Thanda Impi haven't been big males and so I do not think those boys will be among largest lions around either. Also as already 4 years old they were easly chassed around by Red Road male so I do not think they will be beastly. They do not need to be tho as they got into region dominated by two single dominant males and so they shouldn't have any problem with taking over entire western sector soon.
The Thanda impi males were  big males,probably not the biggest of Manyeleti,but Skorro was much bigger and taller than Sizanani.

2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"The Thanda impi males were  big males"

No guide ever said they are big neither in Manyeleti nor in Sabi Sands. 

",probably not the biggest of Manyeleti"

Tintswalo guide openly said that Avoca/Giraffe were much larger.

"Skorro was much bigger and taller than Sizanani"

It was actually the opposite Sizanani left, Skorro right:

4 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-24-2020, 02:54 AM)Potato Wrote: "The Thanda impi males were  big males"

No guide ever said they are big neither in Manyeleti nor in Sabi Sands. 

",probably not the biggest of Manyeleti"

Tintswalo guide openly said that Avoca/Giraffe were much larger.

"Skorro was much bigger and taller than Sizanani"

It was actually the opposite Sizanani left, Skorro right:

1) I never said that they were much bigger than the Avoca/Giraffe because Christof Schoeman claimed that the Avoca/Giraffe were one of the biggest lions in Manyeleti.

2) - That a guide have said that the Avoca/Giraffe males were much bigger than the Thanda impi doesn't means that they not were big males as you have said earlier

3 ) - I don't think that is the opposite,Sizanani is on a hill and he is on the medium-up of the hill which makes him see to be much bigger

4 ) Here a photo of the Thanda impi males (Skorro is covering to Sizanani.) I don't know if is for the angle of the photo,But he was a beast!

2 users Like T I N O's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Skorro was a very stocky and bulky lion in his prime, Sizanani was taller but Skorro is a beast.
1 user Likes sik94's post