There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2020, 09:41 AM by T I N O )

One of the Talamati females (also a kinda look as Auntie Othawa sired by Kinky Tail mapogo).
Photo credit to: Mems and Farida Carim

*This image is copyright of its original author
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2020, 09:41 AM by T I N O )

(09-22-2020, 07:06 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: One of the Talamati females (also a kinda look as Aunty Othawa sired by Kinky Tail mapogo).

The lioness with no cubs. Born in 2007
Othawa lioness with no cubs is daughter to the older Othawa lioness, Half Ears that was killed by a buffalo in the last quarter of 2010. (September)
All the othawas were born around the same time, the second lioness looked after all the youngsters after half ear had a second litter about 18 months or so later, not sure which lioness belongs to who but the no cub lioness is the spitting image of half ear. One of the males was also very similar in looks to her too
She is the most easily recognisable one, she has a small face/short muzzle.
Thank you Rob Vamplew for her history & photo.
Photo from May 2014

3 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-22-2020, 07:11 AM)TinoArmando Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 07:06 AM)TinoArmando Wrote: One of the Talamati females (also a kinda look as Aunty Othawa sired by Kinky Tail mapogo).

Othawa lioness with no cubs is daughter to the older Othawa lioness, Half Ears that was killed by a buffalo in the last quarter of 2010. (September)
All the othawas were born around the same time, the second lioness looked after all the youngsters after half ear had a second litter about 18 months or so later, not sure which lioness belongs to who but the no cub lioness is the spitting image of half ear. One of the males was also very similar in looks to her too
Photo from May 2014

To my eye she looks more like PB than Shaka. Why is there Talamati lionesses brought up there tho? Mapogos did not had any cubs in this pride.
1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-22-2020, 02:03 PM)Potato Wrote:

Photo from May 2014

To my eye she looks more like PB than Shaka. Why is there Talamati lionesses brought up there tho? Mapogos did not had any cubs in this pride.

Perhaps,In my opinion she look like more than Shaka, she has small face/short muzzle...
The Talamati historically is a breakaway of the Nkuhuma pride and we never will know if the Mapogo really have mated with those lionesses.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-22-2020, 05:45 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Photo from May 2014

Perhaps,In my opinion she look like more than Shaka, she has small face/short muzzle...
The Talamati historically is a breakaway of the Nkuhuma pride and we never will know if the Mapogo really have mated with those lionesses.

They have mated with Nkuhuma lionesses, but with those which stayed in Djuma. The Talamati lionesses ran away from Mapogos as they were raising cubs sired by Nkuchuma males.
2 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-22-2020, 06:27 PM)Potato Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 05:45 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Photo from May 2014

They have mated with Nkuhuma lionesses, but with those which stayed in Djuma. The Talamati lionesses ran away from Mapogos as they were raising cubs sired by Nkuchuma males.

That's is what I was meaning about.

I see much similarities with this female and KT Mapogo,Nonetheless i didn't say that they are 100% related.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Tinyo at Londolozi :

Why is Londolozi always pointing out Bboys age, that they are past their prime, that they will be overthrone soon etc.. At every sighting of them they are making those narratives of them, i mean whats the point of this, both of Bboys are in top condition, so i dont understand this.. This is just unbearable at this point.. 

Londolozi is starting to become less and less likeable reserve at this point..
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(09-22-2020, 08:39 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Tinyo at Londolozi :

Why is Londolozi always pointing out Bboys age, that they are past their prime, that they will be overthrone soon etc.. At every sighting of them they are making those narratives of them, i mean whats the point of this, both of Bboys are in top condition, so i dont understand this.. This is just unbearable at this point.. 

Londolozi is starting to become less and less likeable reserve at this point..

Londolozi is running a business and they are trying to present the current lion dynamics in the sense of a story so people would be interested in staying there. They don't have anything against the Bboys, even the articles about the Majingalanes were presented and written in similar styles. 10-year-old lions are generally considered near the end of their tenure anyway, so I don't see much wrong here.
3 users Like sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-22-2020, 09:08 PM)sik94 Wrote: Londolozi is running a business and they are trying to present the current lion dynamics in the sense of a story so people would be interested in staying there. They don't have anything against the Bboys, even the articles about the Majingalanes were presented and written in similar styles. 10-year-old lions are generally considered near the end of their tenure anyway, so I don't see much wrong here.

I understand that its a business for them, but i dont like and understand their approach.. Insted of glorifying and admiring lions that are in their reserve to attract people , they are bashing them in a why, calling then old, worn off etc.. I mean what kind of marketing is that??

Both Bboys are still magnificent beasts in top condition, and "random" people are getting idea from Londolozi that they are "old" grandpas who are not worth to come in Londolozi and check out.. This is just very bad marketing by Londolozi...

I mean, is it that hard to type : "This 10 yrs old male is still in top condition for his age, and with his brothers still dominant force in our area"???

I mean cmon...
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2020, 09:37 PM by Potato )

I fully agree with Sik94 here and I as well do not see anythink wrog with their post. They call Birminghams past prime which is reality. Artificial gloryfying and admiring lions would be equally wrong as bashing them without reason. Lion should be presented by lodges how they really are. Moreover they did not say Birminghams are in bad condition, only that they show signs of ageing.
4 users Like Potato's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

"Both Bboys are still magnificent beasts in top condition, and "random" people are getting idea from Londolozi that they are "old" grandpas who are not worth to come in Londolozi and check out.. This is just very bad marketing by Londolozi..."

No one is getting that idea that they "are "old" grandpas who are not worth to come in Londolozi and check out".  It's all about perspective, but Londolozi shouldn't be getting any hate over this, that's my point. It's neither here or there.
3 users Like sik94's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2020, 10:10 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-22-2020, 09:36 PM)Potato Wrote: I fully agree with Sik94 here and I as well do not see anythink wrog with their post. They call Birminghams past prime which is reality. Artificial gloryfying and admiring lions would be equally wrong as bashing them without reason. Lion should be presented by lodges how they really are. Moreover they did not say Birminghams are in bad condition, only that they show signs of ageing.

Im not talking specifically about this post (which is wrong btw, Tinyo had broken tooth since he came in Sabi Sands, has nothing to do with age in his example ), but about all past post about Bboys, go and look, they are quite similar and in that tone..

I dont see any other lodge/reserve doing this kind of stuff..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-22-2020, 10:09 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-22-2020, 09:39 PM)sik94 Wrote: No one is getting that idea that they "are "old" grandpas who are not worth to come in Londolozi and check out".  It's all about perspective, but Londolozi shouldn't be getting any hate over this, that's my point. It's neither here or there.

Yes they do, go watch comments section on that kind of Londolozi posts..

Regardless, i dont like their approach and thats my opinion..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(09-22-2020, 10:04 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-22-2020, 09:39 PM)sik94 Wrote: No one is getting that idea that they "are "old" grandpas who are not worth to come in Londolozi and check out".  It's all about perspective, but Londolozi shouldn't be getting any hate over this, that's my point. It's neither here or there.

Yes they do, go watch comments section on that kind of Londolozi posts..

Regardless, i dont like their approach and thats my opinion..

I agree. They've been doing this for months, also hyping up that the Birminghams are going to fall and posting misleading and incorrect information at times. Like saying the lioness who was infertile became pregnant when she actually hasn't. As a fan of lions who loves accurate reports on the lions I admire, it's really frustrating. Also how they always use bad pictures of Tinyo for advertising how these boys are ageing when he is a much scruffier and amore scared lion than Nhenha who is probably one of the most beautiful lions in Kruger doesn't really make sense and they always show the worst pictures of Tinyo like this one where he was beat up by Nhenha. Mala Mala doesnt do this either, they post accurate info. I think it's due to the amount of popularity the Mapogos brought to their reserve especially the battle between the Majingilane and Mapogos happened at Londolozi game reserve so they love to exaggerate warfare.
5 users Like Slayerd's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 03:22 AM by Slayerd )

Also it's not great advertising either. Look at Scarface, probably one of the most iconic lions in Africa and the most famous. People literally go to the Mara to see Scarface. He is apart of their tourist attraction. So instead of talking about how these boys are ageing, advertise how amazing lions are. The Bboys are beautiful lions especially Nhenha who is an incredibly Regal lion that many guides love to see and the reserves always talk about how the Bboys are the most impressive lions they see as well. Lions also have stories and personalities like how amazing of a story the Tsalala lioness has. Advertise that instead of always talking about how she is in danger because the Bboys are old and talk about how Nhenha is the father of the cub and how he found her 2 years ago. They could advertise their lions and actually make people want to go and visit and see them like all us Lion lovers would want to do because we actually know the Bboys.
3 users Like Slayerd's post