There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Cath2020 Online
( This post was last modified: 09-20-2020, 08:50 PM by Cath2020 )

(09-20-2020, 08:02 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
[video=facebook]https://www.facebook.com/DuliniLodge/videos/1207977552914194/[/video]
The three young Tumbela Males are pushing further west and south into the Hairy Belly Matimba’s territory.

The long withstanding Matimba Male is not putting up a fight.

Are these males here to stay?

Sadly, I don't think it would matter if he puts up a fight or not.  He'd be risking his life.  Even if he was in his prime, it would be a gamble... 3 against 1 is pretty bad odds.  It's suicide for him to try in his state.  He can only bluff his way and stall for time like the lionesses are doing in their own way.

I'm hoping those sub-adults survive!
2 users Like Cath2020's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-20-2020, 08:43 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 08:02 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:
[video=facebook]https://www.facebook.com/DuliniLodge/videos/1207977552914194/[/video]
The three young Tumbela Males are pushing further west and south into the Hairy Belly Matimba’s territory.

The long withstanding Matimba Male is not putting up a fight.

Are these males here to stay?

Sadly, I don't think it would matter if he puts up a fight or not.  He'd be risking his life.  Even if he was in his prime, it would be a gamble... 3 against 1 is pretty bad odds.  It's suicide for him to try in his state.  He can only bluff his way and stall for time like the lionesses are doing in their own way.

I'm hoping those sub-adults survive!

I agree.

The Tumbelas already have mated with the sterile Ottawa female which means if the other two lionesses into in estrus the Tumbela males will react quickly,besides now they have the confidence that already have meet to the lionesses and the Matimba male,I don't know how long will HB chasing and evade to the Nharu/Tumbela males?... especially at this age which not is very good to be involved on a territorial dispute.
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"Well, now where did I write that she can conceive?!  I'm pushing hypotheticals, like you are.  We'll just have to wait and see.  I think that she's not likely to conceive and nowhere did I write she would.  I also don't think Aunty Othawa will...though having said that, it wouldn't be surprising if she already came into estrus recently or will soon.  It's about that time because Junior is over 2.5 now."

Both older Othawa lionesses came from generation sired by Mapogos in late 2007 and both (infertile lionesses and mother of oldest sub adult male of Othawa pride) are referred as aunty Othawa.

I hope all sub adults from Othawa pride will come up from that take over alive and well, althrought it looks like difficult times for them are coming. Also I think it is only matter of time before Tumbelas turn their eyes for Mhangeni pride push for total conquest of western sector of Sabi Sands. That actually could give breath space for Othawa sub adults.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Well theres not much what Hairy Belly can do at this point.. If bluff from roars dont work he needs to flee.. And that goes for every lone male in this situation 1vs 3..

I am not that much concerned about Othawa youngsters as i am for Hairy Belly.. They are 4, they already actively participate in hunts and Junior is already quite ready for solitary life (he is big as those Tumbela males, and he is around 2 yrs younger then them) , they will prob run away if the takeover happens, and young female will prob return to the pride after some time.. 

For Hairy Belly is lose lose situation, if he stays he risks badly injury and death, and if he runs away chances of surviving on his own are quite slim..
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Fatlum Offline

He need to take the sub adult with him and go away, but this will not happent i think...
And even if he do that, he will not be able to follow the youngster do to his age...
We are just seeing the fall of the last King who lives among the legandary coalition that we all know...
5 users Like Fatlum's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-20-2020, 11:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Well theres not much what Hairy Belly can do at this point.. If bluff from roars dont work he needs to flee.. And that goes for every lone male in this situation 1vs 3..

I am not that much concerned about Othawa youngsters as i am for Hairy Belly.. They are 4, they already actively participate in hunts and Junior is already quite ready for solitary life (he is big as those Tumbela males, and he is around 2 yrs younger then them) , they will prob run away if the takeover happens, and young female will prob return to the pride after some time.. 

For Hairy Belly is lose lose situation, if he stays he risks badly injury and death, and if he runs away chances of surviving on his own are quite slim..

Yeah i doubt that HB  can managed a 3v1 actually he has loss a lot of condition (muscle and size) due his age,he doesn't is the same that once was.

At this stage I'm much concerned by Junior (who is the last male son of the Majingilane) and the Othawa sub-adults which also are the last offspring of the Matimba males,In my opinion HB has lived a very longer live and he is done as dominant male.
5 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Close-up of Mohawk N. Avoca male.
Photo credit to: Zali_Photo

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like T I N O's post

New Zealand Selati Offline

N'waswitshaka male at Sabi Sabi. He and his brothers were enjoying a good snooze.

Photo Credit:Amy Leigh
4 users Like Selati's post

Spain Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

" These four male lions had been sleeping near a small dam for who knows how long, and they continued sleeping long into the evening. Lifting their heads every now and then, perhaps for a bit of grooming, or a yawn here and there. The excitement grew each time one started grooming, hoping this was a sign that they would be getting up and moving, but their heads would soon flop down again, toes twitching as they fell back to sleep. "

4 users Like Spalea's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The two Tumbela males moving away from the one with the Othawa female
Hairy Belly matimba was with the rest of the pride...
I believe that these boys are in SS to stay and might be a problem for the Othawa and Matimba male...
Sabi Sand,Sept.,2020.
Photo credits to: Diff Marimane

7 users Like T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Will junior have to go nomadic?
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 08:23 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-21-2020, 07:48 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Will junior have to go nomadic?

Prob all 4 subadults would need to go nomadic if the Othawa females go with Tumbelas, but i can see Sassy trying to protect her subadults, so she might split with them at the begining (Scorro breakeaway pride situation).. 

Its hard to tell what will happen in this situation.. 

Tumbelas are still fairly young and inexperienced in this situations, that goes in favor of those subadults, older and experienced males would prob try to kill those subadults immidiately..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-21-2020, 09:40 PM by T I N O )

One of the three Nharu/Tumbela males still in the western sector of Sabi Sands.
Sabi Sand,Sept 21.,2020
Photo credit to: Roger Hlongwane

6 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The New Kids on the Block.

The mother of the Kambula pride’s new litter has moved her 3 cubs from Campbell Koppies to the banks of the Sand River in front of Rattray’s Camp!

4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Nharu/Tumbela males with one of the Othawa lionesses "KT Daughter).
Sabi Sand,Sept 21.,2020.
Photo credits to: Promise Mashile

6 users Like T I N O's post