There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

New Zealand Selati Offline

(09-12-2020, 03:43 PM)Potato Wrote: In the last week the Tumbela male lions have been seen on buffalo and giraffe kills.
It's incredible to watch how these males move deeper into unknown territory, and seem to be thriving.
We will post a further update next week about where these males have come from and family histories.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Impressive that they are able to get giraffe without the help of a pride.
1 user Likes Selati's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-12-2020, 03:43 PM)Potato Wrote: In the last week the Tumbela male lions have been seen on buffalo and giraffe kills.
It's incredible to watch how these males move deeper into unknown territory, and seem to be thriving.
We will post a further update next week about where these males have come from and family histories.

They look like quite calm, although are still young to challenge to the master HB, The age and experience is on HB side.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A young prince - the Styx young male was seen with the Styx pride lounging on the banks of the Sand River at Tengile River Lodge
Tengile River Lodge-Sabi Sand,Posted: 12/09/2020.
Photo credit to: Matt Smith

3 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(09-12-2020, 06:24 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

They look like quite calm, although are still young to challenge to the master HB, The age and experience is on HB side.

Really you wanna give HB advantage in term of age? lol Beside that if Tumbelas are indeed Nharu males then they are 4 and half years old and a bit older as oldest litter from that generation Nharu pride was born in November 2015. Also having small mane doesn't mean having small body.
1 user Likes Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

An unexpected sighting of the Othawa male  in the heart of Londolozi. He walked with intent, responding to calls of other lions while scent marking along the path.
Londolozi,Posted: 12/09/2020.
Photo credit to: Peter Thorpe

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Birmingham males in his prime in 2019, stands tall and overlooks the landscape towards the Sand River from where he had been. Presumably he had spent some time with the Tsalala lioness and was heading south towards the Ntsevu pride.
Londolozi,Posted: 12/09/2020.
Photo credit to: Peter Thorpe

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 07:27 PM by T I N O )

(09-12-2020, 06:52 PM)Potato Wrote:
(09-12-2020, 06:24 PM)TinoArmando Wrote:

Really you wanna give HB advantage in term of age? lol Beside that if Tumbelas are indeed Nharu males then they are 4 and half years old and a bit older as oldest litter from that generation Nharu pride was born in November 2015. Also having small mane doesn't mean having small body.

Do you think that HB is alive at the age of 14 years old by his size? lol
If he is alive until today was for something, intelligence,strategy etc, and also he already chased them off,besides when I have said advantage of age I'm talking to the experience who HB has during their fights with the Majingilane,Nkuhuma males, Birmingham's etc, he know perfectly how managed those small fights and chases so, which is the problem with the "Advantage of age"?

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Gowrie males and the Ntsevu/Kambula pride at MalaMala Game Reserve
Sabi Sand-Posted: 12/09/2020.
Photo credit to: Gerald Hinde

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Kambula pride - A lion pride alerted by the sounds of an approaching buffalo herd. MalaMala Game Reserve
Sabi Sand-Posted: 20/08/2020.
Photo credit to: Gerald Hinde

2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"If he is alive until today was for something, intelligence,strategy"

Rather luck coming across vacated Othawa pride. 

"which is the problem with the "Advantage of age""

That he is very old and is aginst young guns. He is in disadvantage no doubt. 

"he know perfectly how managed those small fights and chases so"

Have in mind also encounter with Avoca males. He is lone old male and is against 3 young males. Potential confrontation just can't end up well for HB on the long run. Perhaps he will be able to chasse them one or twice while they willl be over caution, but the moment young males decide to fight back will be over for HB. 
2 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(09-12-2020, 08:06 PM)Potato Wrote: "If he is alive until today was for something, intelligence,strategy"

Rather luck coming across vacated Othawa pride. 

"which is the problem with the "Advantage of age""

That he is very old and is aginst young guns. He is in disadvantage no doubt. 

"he know perfectly how managed those small fights and chases so"

Have in mind also encounter with Avoca males. He is lone old male and is against 3 young males. Potential confrontation just can't end up well for HB on the long run. Perhaps he will be able to chasse them one or twice while they willl be over caution, but the moment young males decide to fight back will be over for HB. 

Only time will tell, his age is years of experience is a extra for him, also currently the Tumbelas are shy and nervous, so at the moment they not are a problem for HB, until they will grown and gain confidence

Lucky or not he's still alive and that say how intelligent he was on his days, just admirable for the legend HB

T I N O Offline
Moderators

One of the Gowrie males "Tinyo" on a territorial patrol at MalaMala Game Reserve
Sabi Sand,Posted: 4/9/2020.
Photo credit to: Wildlife Photography
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 09:57 PM by T I N O )

Perhaps, one of the Majingilane males?

Lion tongues are very effective cleaning agents. Sharp barbs serve as miniature combs, ridding lions of dirt and grime in even some of the most hard-to-reach spots.⁠
Londolozi-Sabi Sand,Posted: 12/9/2020 "OLD PHOTO"
Photo credit to: Londolozi
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Talamati pride return again in the Northern parts of Sabi Sands
Sabi Sand,Cheetah Plains Private Game Reserve,Posted: 12/9/2020.
Photo credits to: Sipps

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Talamati pride