There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(08-22-2020, 01:20 AM)Rabubi Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 12:22 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Has there been any word on the Tsalala Lioness and her cub? A lot of news following the attack on her, along with worry on the whereabouts of her cub, then some sightings of her and her cub together, but have not heard anything since.

Tsalala/Marthly lioness and her cub are doing well.

Great, thank you for the update. That attack by the Ntsevu pride was rough, it was brutal. If it wasn't for Tynio, the damage may have been even more severe. He is likely the father of her cub as well.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-22-2020, 03:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Great, thank you for the update. That attack by the Ntsevu pride was rough, it was brutal. If it wasn't for Tynio, the damage may have been even more severe. He is likely the father of her cub as well.

Nhenha, not Tinyo..Tinyo was attacking her aswell..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(08-22-2020, 04:35 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 03:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Great, thank you for the update. That attack by the Ntsevu pride was rough, it was brutal. If it wasn't for Tynio, the damage may have been even more severe. He is likely the father of her cub as well.

Ahh, I thought that was Nhenha that was trying to mate those other lionesses. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(08-22-2020, 03:14 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 01:20 AM)Rabubi Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 12:22 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Has there been any word on the Tsalala Lioness and her cub? A lot of news following the attack on her, along with worry on the whereabouts of her cub, then some sightings of her and her cub together, but have not heard anything since.

Tsalala/Marthly lioness and her cub are doing well.

Great, thank you for the update. That attack by the Ntsevu pride was rough, it was brutal. If it wasn't for Tynio, the damage may have been even more severe. He is likely the father of her cub as well.

Nhenha is 1 million percent the father. He is the one who found her and mated with her. He also patrols around her to keep her safe.
1 user Likes Slayerd's post

239Pu Offline

*This image is copyright of its original author
Nguvu

Southern Avoca

Birmingham

Matimba
photos by Liam Donnelly
https://www.facebook.com/pg/PICSOFTHEWILD/photos/?ref=page_internal
5 users Like 239Pu's post

Super Moderator

(08-22-2020, 05:59 AM)Slayerd Wrote: Nhenha is 1 million percent the father. He is the one who found her and mated with her. He also patrols around her to keep her safe.

Thank you for that, I had it all twisted it appears. So, it was Nhenha that was standing over her, and getting between her and the other females and Tinyo was the one off with the other lionesses a few yards away from the fight?

Does anyone know what prompted this skirmish, did she happen to walk up on the pride, or did the pride happen to walk up on her. I remember, the day the fight happened and videos began making it to the web, concern for the missing cub began, which was only exacerbated when one of the film makers stated they had heard something fall into the water. 

The story of this magnificent lioness, and all that she has dealt with in her life, her will and determination, will hopefully be told in a film one of these days, it certainly deserves to be. Then again, I wish there were more lion films as it is, I think there should be a film made about all of the prides and coalitions :), but the story of the lone T'salala Female is an extraordinary one, along with Tailless too.
2 users Like BA0701's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(08-22-2020, 07:23 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 05:59 AM)Slayerd Wrote: Nhenha is 1 million percent the father. He is the one who found her and mated with her. He also patrols around her to keep her safe.

Thank you for that, I had it all twisted it appears. So, it was Nhenha that was standing over her, and getting between her and the other females and Tinyo was the one off with the other lionesses a few yards away from the fight?

Does anyone know what prompted this skirmish, did she happen to walk up on the pride, or did the pride happen to walk up on her. I remember, the day the fight happened and videos began making it to the web, concern for the missing cub began, which was only exacerbated when one of the film makers stated they had heard something fall into the water. 

The story of this magnificent lioness, and all that she has dealt with in her life, her will and determination, will hopefully be told in a film one of these days, it certainly deserves to be. Then again, I wish there were more lion films as it is, I think there should be a film made about all of the prides and coalitions :), but the story of the lone T'salala Female is an extraordinary one, along with Tailless too.
No Tinyo was the one in between them. Nhenha arrived much later and started chasing all the others away. Tinyo was part of the action at first but also started putting space in between himself and the lionesses. Maybe Nhenha arriving convinced him to do it. But it did look like Nhenha was very confused about what he should do, he was mating with a Kambula female on one side and then was chasing the pride away from the Tsalala on the other. It seemed like he kept coming forward but stayed close to the mating lioness. Lions can be weird creatures but it was confirmed that Nhenha was the one trying to keep the Lionesses out of the area where the Tsalala was but they all went when he was away. This answers your other question. The Kambula are very flexible, they move where they want so they entered her territory but she was on the wrong side of the river which caused them to catch her.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " The relationship that exists between hyenas and adult male lions is simple. Male lions will go out of their way to kill a hyena. The hyena needs to run a little faster & further than normal to ensure that does not happen. Haha, it’s that simple.

The hatred male lions show towards hyenas is unlike any kind of hatred I’ve seen before. It’s not abnormal behaviour for a dominant predator to want to kill & dispose of a lesser predator. For example, leopards (mostly males) will often harass & even physically attack cheetahs. They’ve even been seen to take a cheetah carcass up a tree to feed on it. I’ve even seen a hyena up a tree being eaten by a leopard. Predators represent competition for food, so one will always try & eliminate the other.
Lions really hate hyenas though. It goes way beyond the point of one predator simply killing another. They are intent on inflicting pain. Alot of pain. When they bite into a hyena, they using every ounce of muscle to bite down harder. When they sink their claws into the hide of a hyena, it’s to dig those claws right through it. I’ve never seen this hatred in nature, other than what male lions display towards hyenas.
This photo was taken way beyond the last light of day, with the Sony A9ii & Sony 400 f2.8 at ISO 25600. I just had to get that intensity across to you. Three male lions had just spotted a lone hyena & as can be seen in the second clip, immediately gave chase. They chased the hyena to the extent that we even lost sight of the males for the rest of the evening.
It’s incredible to watch and to document!
Hope you enjoyed the post & the info."

4 users Like Spalea's post

New Zealand Selati Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-22-2020, 07:10 PM by Selati )

The N'waswitshaka Males have been sighted at Kirkman's Kamp for the first time. Hope they don't have another run in with the S.Avocas.

Photo Credit: Dylan Pons
4 users Like Selati's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-22-2020, 07:09 PM)Selati Wrote: The N'waswitshaka Males have been sighted at Kirkman's Kamp for the first time. Hope they don't have another run in with the S.Avocas.

They didnt have run in with Avocas before.. The 2 that chased them before where not Avocas, because that happend west of Skukuza on S1, waay out of Avocas territory.. 

Also Dominant Nwaswitshaka was seen in Kirkmans Kamp before..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tinyo wasn't atacking her either. From Londolozi blog (https://blog.londolozi.com/2020/05/25/tsalala-and-cub-update/):

"Despite how it may appear in the video, the Birmingham males didn’t seem to want to actually attack her themselves. One of them was only interested in mating with one of the Ntsevu females (Nhenha), and the other (Tinyo) who seemed to be involved at the centre of the whole thing, looked like he was almost acting as a peacemaker, reluctant to engage with the Tsalala female, and even swatting out at some of the Ntsevu lionesses."
1 user Likes Potato's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(08-22-2020, 07:09 PM)Selati Wrote: The N'waswitshaka Males have been sighted at Kirkman's Kamp for the first time. Hope they don't have another run in with the S.Avocas.

Photo Credit: Dylan Pons

They are getting that hard look of mature dominant lions. I think they are ready to mount their first challenge.
1 user Likes Matimbalani's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Agreed, they are starting to look menacing

Super Moderator

(08-22-2020, 08:12 PM)Potato Wrote:

Tinyo wasn't atacking her either. From Londolozi blog (https://blog.londolozi.com/2020/05/25/tsalala-and-cub-update/):

"Despite how it may appear in the video, the Birmingham males didn’t seem to want to actually attack her themselves. One of them was only interested in mating with one of the Ntsevu females (Nhenha), and the other (Tinyo) who seemed to be involved at the centre of the whole thing, looked like he was almost acting as a peacemaker, reluctant to engage with the Tsalala female, and even swatting out at some of the Ntsevu lionesses."

@Potato , my friend that is exactly how I saw it, with the one exception I had the two Birminghams confused for one another. But, yes, I did see Tinyo appeared very confused, and did not wish to attack, and saw him at times pushing the Ntsevu away from her. Very confusing moment, for sure.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(08-22-2020, 10:37 AM)Slayerd Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 07:23 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

No Tinyo was the one in between them. Nhenha arrived much later and started chasing all the others away. Tinyo was part of the action at first but also started putting space in between himself and the lionesses. Maybe Nhenha arriving convinced him to do it. But it did look like Nhenha was very confused about what he should do, he was mating with a Kambula female on one side and then was chasing the pride away from the Tsalala on the other. It seemed like he kept coming forward but stayed close to the mating lioness. Lions can be weird creatures but it was confirmed that Nhenha was the one trying to keep the Lionesses out of the area where the Tsalala was but they all went when he was away. This answers your other question. The Kambula are very flexible, they move where they want so they entered her territory but she was on the wrong side of the river which caused them to catch her.
Thank you for that my friend, certainly helped me understand everything that was going on.