There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 02:44 PM by Bellateda )

Yes, it is overpopulation. Until the end of this year many lions will die...

PC males are strong but if they are injured by fights with Burmingams or young nomads it may cause the death of their cubs.
1 user Likes Bellateda's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 04:39 PM by lionuk )

Very concerning news regarding Othawa pride, Nhenha and NK male..

6 users Like lionuk's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 05:13 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-08-2022, 04:38 PM)lionuk Wrote: Very concerning news regarding Othawa pride, Nhenha and NK male..

Looks like takeover started :

*This image is copyright of its original author

Othawas are defending for now.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

Goodness. This is not good! 
So Sassy took 5 cubs and left while two Old Mapogo daughters defended the retreat and inflicted injuries on Nhenha and Nk male? Those two old girls are fierce!!! Especially Auntie who has no cubs but risks all to defend the little ones.
1 user Likes Mabingilane's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 05:18 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-08-2022, 05:14 PM)Mabingilane Wrote: Goodness. This is not good! 
So Sassy took 5 cubs and left while two Old Mapogo daughters defended the retreat and inflicted injuries on Nhenha and Nk male? Those two old girls are fierce!!! Especially Auntie who has no cubs but risks all to defend the little ones.

Yes, not sure who got injured tho, but hope that those 2 dont get hurt, males do kill females in takeovers who try to defend the cubs.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

(05-08-2022, 05:16 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yes, but hope that those 2 dont get hurt, males do kill females in takeovers who try to defend the cubs
I really hope both sides are ok. Old girls really did well. It seems like nk male and nhenha took the worst of it from the scenario with some wounds. I hope the girls are not sporting any injuries.

Old, tough, and wise females. 

Bless these othawas  

And i wonder where Skorro Jr was during all of this? I hope he and limper are safe. 

We'll have to wait for some updates.
1 user Likes Mabingilane's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 05:46 PM by 1999gc8 )

(05-08-2022, 05:31 PM)Mabingilane Wrote:
(05-08-2022, 05:16 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Yes, but hope that those 2 dont get hurt, males do kill females in takeovers who try to defend the cubs
I really hope both sides are ok. Old girls really did well. It seems like nk male and nhenha took the worst of it from the scenario with some wounds. I hope the girls are not sporting any injuries.

Old, tough, and wise females. 

Bless these othawas  

And i wonder where Skorro Jr was during all of this? I hope he and limper are safe. 

We'll have to wait for some updates.

Yes I was thinking the same. I would have assumed that Limper would have been with the pride due to his injury. Would seem very unlikely that there wasn't at least one male with them.

The fight Nhena had with Skorro Jnr didn't deter him from pushing in for a takeover.
1 user Likes 1999gc8's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

They did well 

4 users Like Tonpa's post

Australia 1999gc8 Offline

(05-08-2022, 05:47 PM)Tonpa Wrote: They did well 

Couldn't see the actual fight but yikes it's sounded intense.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 06:02 PM by Duco Ndona )

There is no point in running for Limper (or Skorro for that matter.) Either he dies now fighting or succumbs later due to the Harshness of nomadhood.

Keep in mind the condition those two were in when they arrived and Sabi Sands already has a large surpluss of coalitions as it is. Most of them far larger and stronger than those two.

The next couple of years are going to be very bloody.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-08-2022, 05:58 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: There is no point in running for Limper. Either he dies now fighting or succumbs later due to the Harshness of nomadhood.

Lions dont think like that. 

(05-08-2022, 05:58 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Keep in mind the condition those two were in when they arrived and Sabi Sands already has a large surpluss of coalitions as it is. Most of them far larger and stronger than those two

Skorro Jr is healthy and top specimen, unfortunately his 2 brothers where not healthy.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Yes, @Tr1x24 i agree. 
Very extreme assumptions. 
Lions are resilient and even if Skorro jr/limper are overthrown, skorro junior is only now turning 6.5 years old and losing one pride wont mean the end of his life. He is in great condition and is only now reaching his prime. Limper can still live if he has regular meals and rest.  

Lions dont think such suicidal thoughts. And nhenha/nk had a chance to kill limper but they left him alone after dominating him. 

They are not dead yet and can likely still remain pride males of the othawas depending on what happens next. 

Lets wait and hope for the best. Instead of counting them out and spreading such destructive and morbid thoughts.
3 users Like Mabingilane's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Looks like Plains Camp males where also in the area last night, 3 coalitions in 5km based of this :

This can get interesting.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Wow,so many different scenarios could unfold,positive or negative.its all so intriguing and fascinating to watch
The Females were really on point there
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-08-2022, 07:42 PM by Duco Ndona )

Keep in mind, these guys had a very rough nomadic life. They aren't looking forward to a new period of wandering around having adventures like other lions may.
Lions may not choose to commit suicide. But from Limpers perspective, fleeing may be just as much suicidal.
So its not that hard to believe he may stay and prefer to try to fight first. The odds indeed aren't that bad against them and they can always run later.

Its interesting that the PC males are there too. It makes things even more chaotic and unpredictable.