There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-02-2021, 10:52 PM)lionuk Wrote: Ximhungwe lioness with unknown male. I think either NK male or one of PC males..

As @Duco Ndona said, its Limper Tumbela (lump on his front right leg), he is looking better tho.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2021, 12:35 AM by Tr1x24 )

Another Kambula female bringing her newborn cubs out (not known how many yet), thats now 3rd female with cubs:

Photo Credits : gameranger_rob 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Thats now half a pride with new cubs under the control of Bboys.

N.Avocas where seen with 2 Kambula females recently, will be interesting to see how will this unfold, as females with cubs are with Bboys, while cubless are mating with Avocas.
9 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I wonder if any of these females mated with the avocas under pseudoestrus
3 users Like Tonpa's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2021, 12:50 AM by Tr1x24 )

(09-03-2021, 12:39 AM)Tonpa Wrote: I wonder if any of these females mated with the avocas under pseudoestrus

Well, obiviously some females where seen mating with Avocas around that time, but we dont know who or if it was only infertile one..

Blondie killing that cub month or so its indicator that Avocas didn't mate with that female, mother of oldest cubs,as he would recognize that female and would not kill the cub.. 

Now for this 2 idk, theres also possible that OM is father of these 2 litter of cubs just like Avocas. 

We will prob never know, unless some male cubs reach adulthood and we compare faces.. 

But as they are under control of Bboys, they will be considered to be their offspring.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(09-03-2021, 12:24 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: As @Duco Ndona said, its Limper Tumbela (lump on his front right leg), he is looking better tho.
(09-03-2021, 12:06 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I think its just Limper. He seems to be spending more time away from the others which seems to be doing him good. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76m8h8ekNys
(09-03-2021, 12:24 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: As @Duco Ndona said, its Limper Tumbela (lump on his front right leg), he is looking better tho.
Yes, that's for sure. And it seems he is brimming with confidence.
2 users Like lionuk's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

IG story from Dulini - a young male lion keeping the two Othawa youngsters from a Buffalo kill, apparently the Nkuhuma male. 

https://www.instagram.com/stories/dulini...617414796/
5 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Nkuhuma male with Othawa subadults on Buffalo kill today. No aggression there. 

9 users Like lionuk's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Picture taken today during the kill. I think NK male has lost a bit of his top mane, right? 

*This image is copyright of its original author
5 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

It seems there are only two Othawa youngsters. One would expect them to reunite over the kill.

I guess the other two really are lost.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

Update: The area that Othawa subadults were seen with NK male was just 4 miles from Othawa Pride territory. That's according to Savannah Private Game Reserve.

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(09-03-2021, 03:05 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: I guess the other two really are lost.
I really, really hope you're WRONG.
2 users Like lionuk's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

They are lost. It does not mean they are death or anything. Just that they are not in that specific area.
4 users Like Duco Ndona's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

(09-03-2021, 04:15 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: They are lost. It does not mean they are death or anything. Just that they are not in that specific area.
Ok, fair enough. Let's hope they will be located very soon, either in SS or in KNP, though I really hope in SS with the two others. 
To be honest, I find it very surprising that only two have come back home, which is cause for concern as to where are the remaining two, since all 4 of them are known to be very close.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2021, 05:43 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-03-2021, 05:30 PM)lionuk Wrote: Ok, fair enough. Let's hope they will be located very soon, either in SS or in KNP, though I really hope in SS with the two others. 
To be honest, I find it very surprising that only two have come back home, which is cause for concern as to where are the remaining two, since all 4 of them are known to be very close

Nomadic young lions can easily be separated, as they are often chased by other lions, even Nwaswitshakas separate them in Sabi Sabi when they chased them off the kill.. And its hard to reunite again as they are affraid to contact call..

They prob got separated, and 2 subadult couldn't find Junior and other male, so they returned home, in familiar area, hope Junior and other will do the same.. 

Interesting that same 2 and 2 where separated even after Nwaswitshakas chased them, Junior and more developed subadult run away, Gingerella and less developed male stayed at kill and challenge Nwaswitshakas.. So it looks like that even between the 4 was preferable bonds..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Even within coalitions there are often inner cliques and preferences. That lions cant communicate as specific as humans can also doesnt help.

Its possible Gingerella decided it was time to go home. 
That the male lion saw her leave and mistakingly thought his sister was just going on a walk and prefered to join her for it. And then ended up following her all the way home.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post