There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

T I N O Online
Moderators

Some spectacular sightings of the Mangheni cubs and the Othawa male
[video=facebook" target="_blank" class="post_link">https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=416235772701824[/video]
]

3 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tumbela males

I met these tatty skinny lion brother's at Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sands Game Reserve today.  The one's eye is a bit buggered, they are all skinny and the one brother limps.  They are still young and not that skilled at hunting yet - let's hope they survive.

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline

It said on the video yesterday that they are good hunters ha
2 users Like Hairy tummy's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-03-2020, 10:10 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: It said on the video yesterday that they are good hunters ha

Like father like son
2 users Like T I N O's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-03-2020, 10:10 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: It said on the video yesterday that they are good hunters ha

How they look tells another story. They are way underdeveloped and small for their age. They look like 2,5 to 3,5 years old while they are 5 years old.
2 users Like Potato's post

Hairy tummy Offline

I seen on a video earlier that there is a herd of hundreds of buffalo in the area, so that should be a good food source for them
1 user Likes Hairy tummy's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(11-03-2020, 10:47 PM)Potato Wrote:

How they look tells another story. They are way underdeveloped and small for their age. They look like 2,5 to 3,5 years old while they are 5 years old.

Looks are deceiving

T I N O Online
Moderators

Torchwood lioness feeding her cubs...beautiful!!
Image by: Sipps

T I N O Online
Moderators

The beautiful Silver lady of the Talamati pride 
Image by: Ryan Lenhoff

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-03-2020, 10:05 PM)Potato Wrote: Tumbela males

I met these tatty skinny lion brother's at Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sands Game Reserve today.  The one's eye is a bit buggered, they are all skinny and the one brother limps.  They are still young and not that skilled at hunting yet - let's hope they survive.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a wild lion with crossed eyes. For instance, all white tigers have that trait, every one of them due to the inbreeding to get them. Not saying that is what caused it in this guy, and I'm sure there have been others just as in the human population I am sure it happens, I have just not seen it before. The fangs on that one that's snarling  are enormous too. The more I see of these guys, the more I see how gorgeous they really are. They have had a tough go of it so far, but short of them bringing harm to Hairy Belly I really do hope for some positive things to come their way.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I think the Tumbela male just injured his left eye during a confrontation or while hunting.... It's looking better than when he first set foot in SS!  

As far as being skinny and lanky, that's just how these boys are built.  Even the one Nharu male with the Mbiris is thinner and taller than the others....  But yes, I do see that some weight gain wouldn't hurt them.  If you recall their backgrounds, then you'd know that these males were essentially raised by 3 females.... since their fathers left them to stay with the larger Mbiri pride.  They did not lose a cub I think, raising 6 males and 3 females.... Not until 2 died during the nomadic stage... Now their 3 sisters are raising cubs of their own.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

A young lion from the Fourways pride at MalaMala Game Reserve
Image by: Nic Nel
November 2020

Gijima Offline

S Avoca Male and Sand River Pride
Dylan Royal Wildlife - 11/3/20
Tengile River Lodge

2 users Like Gijima's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-04-2020, 10:05 AM)Cath2020 Wrote: I think the Tumbela male just injured his left eye during a confrontation or while hunting.... It's looking better than when he first set foot in SS!  

As far as being skinny and lanky, that's just how these boys are built.  Even the one Nharu male with the Mbiris is thinner and taller than the others....  But yes, I do see that some weight gain wouldn't hurt them.  If you recall their backgrounds, then you'd know that these males were essentially raised by 3 females.... since their fathers left them to stay with the larger Mbiri pride.  They did not lose a cub I think, raising 6 males and 3 females.... Not until 2 died during the nomadic stage... Now their 3 sisters are raising cubs of their own.

I do not think it is just genes what makes them thin. 6th Nharu you are comparing Tumbelas to is much larger than them as you can see there at 12:00:

It is hard to say exact difference between them as 6th Nharu is standing much closer to camera, but he no doubt is bigger than Tumbelas. Moreover it is not first time at all that Tumbelas are said to be skinny. They clearly have a problem with making regular kills.
2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Singita Sabi Sands update
  • The Mhangene Pride have continued to be our most viewed lion pride. The two older cubs have now reached five months in age and are doing very well, moving everywhere with the pride.
  • We were offered an unexpected but incredible opportunity to view the two newest Mhangene cubs when their mother brought them to a hippo carcass at Castleton Dam. One of the other lionesses in the pride also seems to be lactating (potentially pregnant or denning).
  • The Othawa Pride and Matimba male lion have been found in the western parts of the property hunting buffalo. Although unsuccessful, this pride is always exciting to see.
3 users Like Potato's post