There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-19-2019, 01:43 AM by Tr1x24 )

Handsome N'waswishaka male at Lion Sands

*This image is copyright of its original author

New video of 2 of them ( Blonde one reunite with his 3 brothers) :

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=428602467829626&id=181324685890740

This males origin from N'waswishaka pride, and made N'waswishaka breakeaway pride, 4 males and 1 female, their sister, its unknown where that female is atm. I find that their visit of Sabi Sabi 3 months ago isnt the first time as we belived. They where seen in Sabi Sabi even last year, in late 2018 , as 3 males and 1 female, very nervous and unfamiliar of vehicles. 

N'waswishakas pride teritory is around S1, close to Phabeni Gate. Charleston males where seen in that area a lot in 2017, but its unknown if they had contact with that pride, regardless, those males are to old to potentialy be sired by Charleston males.

They where most likely sired by old N'waswishaka male, here is his photo from late 2016 when he too visit Sabi Sabi, he was 9 yrs old at that time.

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

"N'waswishakas pride teritory is around S1, close to Phabeni Gate. Charleston males where seen in that area a lot in 2017, but its unknown if they had contact with that pride, regardless, those males are to old to potentialy be sired by Charleston males.

They may be pushed out by taking over Charlestons. It is adding up.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

https://www.malamala.com/game-reports/

THE TORCHWOOD PRIDE = 17* 
1 ADULT FEMALE UNKOWN AGE
 8 SUB ADULT FEMALES UNKNOWN AGES (TBC) 
1 SUB ADULT MALE UNKNOWN AGE (TBC) EYREFIELD, MALAMALA. 
* We believe that the pride’s full complement is 17 and that a ‘breakaway’ is in progress.
 (5 sightings) We really are struggling to make heads or tails of this pride. Here is what we do know: On the 7th we viewed eight females in Clarendon Open Area. On the 12th we found five females and two males on Maphonyoleni Drive. A small cub was briefly spotted crossing north over our boundary near the KNP Break. Four females and two males killed a zebra along the southern parts of Rhino Loop on the 23rd. Five females and two males brought down a buffalo bull just south of Matshapiri Dam. These lions are regarded highly by the ranging team and we hope that they do indeed make the northeastern section of our reserve their home. 

Creazy dinamic of Torchwood pride.  By the beggining of 2019 Torchwood sub adult seemd to be spliting off their netal pride and spent a lot time in northen Mala Mala, then from the couplle of months back only few sub adults were vived on their own. This is strange brokeawway prrocess. Also Torchwood pride seem to have some cubs and adult males in company. It is sad that we do not have updates from Torchwood region.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-19-2019, 11:58 PM)Potato Wrote: https://www.malamala.com/game-reports/

* We believe that the pride’s full complement is 17 and that a ‘breakaway’ is in progress.
 (5 sightings) We really are struggling to make heads or tails of this pride. Here is what we do know: On the 7th we viewed eight females in Clarendon Open Area. On the 12th we found five females and two males on Maphonyoleni Drive. A small cub was briefly spotted crossing north over our boundary near the KNP Break. Four females and two males killed a zebra along the southern parts of Rhino Loop on the 23rd. Five females and two males brought down a buffalo bull just south of Matshapiri Dam. These lions are regarded highly by the ranging team and we hope that they do indeed make the northeastern section of our reserve their home. 

Creazy dinamic of Torchwood pride.  By the beggining of 2019 Torchwood sub adult seemd to be spliting off their netal pride and spent a lot time in northen Mala Mala, then from the couplle of months back only few sub adults were vived on their own. This is strange brokeawway prrocess. Also Torchwood pride seem to have some cubs and adult males in company. It is sad that we do not have updates from Torchwood region.

Its impossible to track down Torchwood pride,i was trying for months with very little sucess. They are massive pride with main territory further east into KNP, and when they do show up in north east Sabi Sands, sightings are all messed up with lions all over the place, just like in this report.

About this Torchwood breakeaway, yes, for months Torchwood young male was seen with only 3,4 lionesses, prob his sisters. 

But now recently they where seen all together again it seems :

Thats a report from around 2 weeks ago,they where 13 members, here i find their picture from late 2018,drinking at a dam, there where 13 back then too:

I think they have 6 or 7 older lioness, rest are younger lionesses with 1 young Torchwood male sired by Bboys.
Apperantly they have 5 cubs now too, and by this report 2 adult males, very interesting. 

Looking foward for new info and sightings of this pride.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

It seems that 1 Southern Pride lioness returned from Kruger and join the second lioness in Sabi Sabi, leaving the 4 young boys in Kruger, who prob start their nomadic journey of searching for their territory and prides. And with 4 N'waswishaka males settling in Lion Sands i dont have much of a hope for 2 Talamatis and 2 SP males to return in Sabi Sands.

On other hand, 2 SP lionesses would be a perfect fit for a first pride of 4 N'waswishaka males, and girls would have so much needed stability and potentialy rise a cubs, after a years of chaos which almost wiped out once biggest and strongest pride in Sabi Sands.

We can only hope for that scenario.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States Matimbalani Offline

(11-20-2019, 01:54 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 11:58 PM)Potato Wrote: https://www.malamala.com/game-reports/

Its impossible to track down Torchwood pride,i was trying for months with very little sucess. They are massive pride with main territory further east into KNP, and when they do show up in north east Sabi Sands, sightings are all messed up with lions all over the place, just like in this report.

About this Torchwood breakeaway, yes, for months Torchwood young male was seen with only 3,4 lionesses, prob his sisters. 

But now recently they where seen all together again it seems :

Thats a report from around 2 weeks ago,they where 13 members, here i find their picture from late 2018,drinking at a dam, there where 13 back then too:

I think they have 6 or 7 older lioness, rest are younger lionesses with 1 young Torchwood male sired by Bboys.
Apperantly they have 5 cubs now too, and by this report 2 adult males, very interesting. 

Looking foward for new info and sightings of this pride.

It just seems to be a weird time with lion prides moving all over the place. Earlier today I read on a Facebook page that the Kambula's are far south close to the Sparta pride and Southern Avoca boys. I wonder if Torchwood and the presence of these new males is drawing them south?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-20-2019, 03:58 AM)Matimbalani Wrote: It just seems to be a weird time with lion prides moving all over the place. Earlier today I read on a Facebook page that the Kambula's are far south close to the Sparta pride and Southern Avoca boys. I wonder if Torchwood and the presence of these new males is drawing them south?

I dont think so, Torchwood pride was in that area for years now, and nothing to do with new males either. 

Lions and prides move around a lot, they occasionaly roam out of their "usualy" territory, but come back shortly. This is normal.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

N'waswishaka on hunt in Llion Sands

Mhangenni male moving south into Londolozi

6 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-22-2019, 08:34 PM)Potato Wrote: N'waswishaka on hunt in Llion Sands

Mhangenni male moving south into Londolozi

They renamed N'waswishaka males into Ndzhenga males.

Its seems that coalition of Mhangeni and NK male is unfortunately less and less likely,i think NK male is still with his sister because all this time 1 lioness is missing from the pride. 

Lets hope we dont lose Mangheni male into Kruger, too many young males left SS in past years,and he is special lion who survived against all odds, hes meant to be iconic lion of Sabi Sand. 

If hes going south, best case scenario is to find those new N'waswishaka males, if they would be willing to accept him.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Last hope of the legendary Tsalala pride lies on this girl and her mother, they are doing rly well atm. 

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-23-2019, 07:47 PM by Potato )

"Its seems that coalition of Mhangeni and NK male is unfortunately less and less likely'

Well, they always can just find other coalition partner. If  they are alive and well then I would say it is good enough. Also they are still in about same arena so they deffinitelly still can make coalition together.

'Lets hope we dont lose Mangheni male into Kruger, too many young males left SS in past years,and he is special lion who survived against all odds, hes meant to be iconic lion of Sabi Sand. "

Some will go away to Kruger, others will move from Kruger into SS. I am persnally fine with it. Also so far I do not think Mhangeni male even once left SS,

"If hes going south, best case scenario is to find those new N'waswishaka males"

I would say it is very bad scenario and I do not see who could end up well for Mhangeni male. N'waswishaka/Ndzhenga males has no reason at all to allow him into coalition and would rather atack if Mhangeni would get into theeir way.
2 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-23-2019, 07:22 PM)Potato Wrote: I would say it is very bad scenario and I do not see who could end up well for Mhangeni male. N'waswishaka/Ndzhenga males has no reason at all to allow him into coalition and would rather atack if Mhangeni would get into theeir way.

That depends, those males are still nomadic and young,they could see in him valuable partner. 

He was seen with Southern Pride and their 4 young males some months ago in south, he is definetly a "social" lion.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Torchwood young male (sired by Bboys) with some members of the pride few weeks ago, at Nhlanguleni picnic site ~2 km east from northern Sabi Sands into Kruger.

Young male is getting big and impressive. 

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Sparta pride

2 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Southern Avocas vs Birmingham males is on the table. From Mala Mala:

Lions: With the bulk of the Kambula pride and both Gowrie males spending so much time in the south, one has to wonder if an encounter with the 2 Avoca males is on the cards? These lions last encountered each other a few years ago and today was the closest they’ve been since. The Kambula pride and their males were viewed near Calabash Crossing, while the Avoca males were at KK Crossing... just over a kilometer away. The 4 youngest cubs in the pride and their mother were seen near Rattray’s Camp.