There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Romania The Infamous Offline

(12-01-2018, 11:09 PM)Potato Wrote: No sons beside 2 Othawa males which went into Kruger and nobody knows if they made it. Only grandsons from the prides I mentioned.

There are on a FB page some pictures of themLolthawa M and Othawa T.Back from 2013, they seemed to had  a pride at a certain time by their ones in KNP.They were not very well documented(KNP is huge), hoping some day we will have more information about their saga.

Canada Pbonz Offline

(12-04-2018, 02:53 AM)Herekitty Wrote: The Mangheni females have two sets of cubs, the older ones are Birmingham sired, not sure of the younger ones. Video by Quinton Paul Josop at Singita, December 3, 2018

We had a great sighting of the Talamati pride this morning. Video by Cheetah Plains Game Reserve, December 3, 2018

Are the bboys still in this territory ? Or is this where the avoca boys have turned up?
1 user Likes Pbonz's post

Australia Herekitty Offline

(12-04-2018, 10:40 PM)Pbonz Wrote: Are the bboys still in this territory ? Or is this where the avoca boys have turned up?

The Avocas are now in the north - Djuma, Chitwa, Arathusa, Nkorho and Cheetah Plains - where the Talamatis are.

As far as Singita goes where the Mangheni pride is, the BBoys sired the older cubs, but it's possible that the younger cubs were sired by the Othawa male. Nhenha passed through Singita 3 months back, but they seem to stick almost exclusively to Mala Mala and Londolozi now.

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(12-04-2018, 04:46 PM)The Infamous Wrote: There are on a FB page some pictures of themLolthawa M and Othawa T.Back from 2013, they seemed to had  a pride at a certain time by their ones in KNP.They were not very well documented(KNP is huge), hoping some day we will have more information about their saga.

Those are fake, they were not seen again, as far as we know.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Canada Pbonz Offline

https://www.instagram.com/p/BimOJxxHRV6/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1odepsks0euz1

Not sure if this is how you copy links. This is. Beautiful picture of my favourite Lion.
2 users Like Pbonz's post

PBonz try this - type [insta]followed by the url from the instagram post you want, ending with[/insta]

Yeah he's a beautiful lion, he just needs some mates, cos even the baddest lion on the planet will come unstuck when confronted by even 2 aggressive males.
4 users Like Herekitty's post

Canada Pbonz Offline

(12-05-2018, 08:06 AM)Herekitty Wrote: PBonz try this - type [insta]followed by the url from the instagram post you want, ending with[/insta]

Yeah he's a beautiful lion, he just needs some mates, cos even the baddest lion on the planet will come unstuck when confronted by even 2 aggressive males.

Thank you. Does it work for Facebook too? 
I have a video for the new pride of 5 males and 5 lionesses in Djuma. Anyone know who they are? And who’s in Djuma that they will run into. The more lions that live the happier I M lol 
https://www.facebook.com/1210773652334744/posts/2024402214305213/
1 user Likes Pbonz's post

( This post was last modified: 12-05-2018, 02:36 PM by Herekitty )

Those 10 lions in Djuma are supposedly the Nharu pride (unconfirmed) who usually inhabit Manyeleti Game Reserve and are typically 11 lions - 3 females and 8 sub adults (3 subadult females and 5 subadult males) who are about 3 years old. Perhaps 1 female was killed in Manyeleti explaining why there are now 10 and on the move. Perhaps they were being pressured by the Orpen males.

They have similar numbers to the Nkuhuma pride who are the resident pride of Djuma and I'm not sure how a meeting between the two would pan out, except that the Nkuhumas are wily and tough females with half a dozen - 2 year old subadults and a handful of subadult males from the Mangheni and Talamati pride hanging around them (although as we speak I believe the Avocas are putting more pressure on these subadult males to move on with one of the young Talamati males being trailed by an Avoca yesterday at Djuma). I guess if the 10 Nharu lions meet the Nkuhumas they would keep moving until they find suitable and unoccupied land.

Here's the footage from Djuma yesterday that shows the Talamati lion after been run out of town the an Avoca male. Its starts at about the 16 minute mark. He's a beautiful lion.

Facebook videos are problematic, I've had no success with them, nor seen anyone else successfully post one.

United States Peteporker Offline

Herekitty Wrote:Those 10 lions in Djuma are supposedly the Nharu pride (unconfirmed) who usually inhabit Manyeleti Game Reserve and are typically 11 lions - 3 females and 8 sub adults (3 subadult females and 5 subadult males) who are about 3 years old. Perhaps 1 female was killed in Manyeleti explaining why there are now 10 and on the move. Perhaps they were being pressured by the Orpen males.

They have similar numbers to the Nkuhuma pride who are the resident pride of Djuma and I'm not sure how a meeting between the two would pan out, except that the Nkuhumas are wily and tough females with half a dozen - 2 year old subadults and a handful of subadult males from the Mangheni and Talamati pride hanging around them (although as we speak I believe the Avocas are putting more pressure on these subadult males to move on with one of the young Talamati males being trailed by an Avoca yesterday at Djuma). I guess if the 10 Nharu lions meet the Nkuhumas they would keep moving until they find suitable and unoccupied land.

Here's the footage from Djuma yesterday that shows the Talamati lion after been run out of town the an Avoca male. Its starts at about the 16 minute mark. He's a beautiful lion.

Facebook videos are problematic, I've had no success with them, nor seen anyone else successfully post one.
I remember the Nharu sub adults had ventured downed to sabi sand last year I think when the Old Avocas showed up after the demise of the Thanda Impi Coalition, so it could be the Nharu pride again in Djuma. Also, Tintswalo had reported that a Nharu lioness had been mating with the Old Avoca, so the missing lioness could be with the Old Avoca again to buy time for the subadults. When new cubs arrive, I think the male subadults will be kicked out.
1 user Likes Peteporker's post

Canada Pbonz Offline

(12-05-2018, 12:43 PM)Herekitty Wrote: Those 10 lions in Djuma are supposedly the Nharu pride (unconfirmed) who usually inhabit Manyeleti Game Reserve and are typically 11 lions - 3 females and 8 sub adults (3 subadult females and 5 subadult males) who are about 3 years old. Perhaps 1 female was killed in Manyeleti explaining why there are now 10 and on the move. Perhaps they were being pressured by the Orpen males.

Does the Talamati sub adult have a few brothers with the Nkuhumuas ? Wouldn’t they also be kicked out, or the Mhangenhi sub adults? 
I fear for all the cubs in the nkuhuma pride.

Mohawk4 Offline

Growing with pride

The lions have been extremely active this month. The Mhangene pride is growing in size and they are gaining numbers, as there is a constant change within the pride families.
Here is a quick recap of what has been happening, at least of what we can understand. Of the four original Mhangene lionesses, there are now only three adult lionesses within the pride. We are unsure as to the disappearance of the fourth lioness, but it is probable that she met an untimely fate early in the year. The three adult lionesses have accepted a single lioness, which was part of their second litter, often referred to as the ‘Mhangene sub-adults’. This has been one very fortunate lioness, as acceptance into a pride after gaining independence rarely occurs. It has been interesting to watch the changes in behaviour within the pride when the older lionesses interact with the sub-adult lioness. Even though the sub-adult has been accepted it is noted that she is often the last to move in to feed on a carcass and rarely shows much bonding with the older lionesses, which generally would involve head rubbing or mutual grooming, strengthening bonds with the pride. The one interesting observation has been that the sub-adult is very accepting of the new cubs and often shows a great deal of affection to the younger cubs, and her tolerance levels seem far higher than the mothers as the young cubs bite her tail or use her as an obstacle whilst playing amongst each other.
A very interesting change, has been the acceptance of the Othawa male by the three adult Mhangene lionesses. In normal circumstances another adult male being in the same vicinity of young cubs would be a direct threat as the male would instinctively kill the cubs, since they are not biologically related and he would not want to spend energy ensuring that other lions’ genes will be passed on. Lionesses also will not be receptive to mating with a new male lion while they are nursing, so killing the cubs enables the male lion to procreate, ensuring his genes are with the generation of cubs whilst he reigns over the territory.
Two weeks ago, after following a single lioness track into the Sand River, it turned out that I was walking on the very same path that the lioness was using to return to her well concealed den-site. After standing still and listening for a few minutes before proceeding with following the tracks, I could hear the grunting sounds of newborn cubs. With a quick retreat to the vehicle, I maneuvered into the Sand River to conclusively see what I was hearing. As I ventured down into the dry riverbed, I noticed two lionesses lying on the sand not too far from where I had been tracking. I stopped and within a short period of time, a third lioness appeared out of the reed thickets with three very small cubs following closely behind her. Finding the lionesses was rewarding alone, but being able to say that you had found a den-site for the first time in your guiding career was truly a gem of a reward that will not easily be forgotten. As the cubs are now approximately two months old, they can now be viewed with strict protocols. This is a highlight and a unique opportunity to watch these cubs interacting with the older cubs and exploring their new surroundings.
Even though the male has no direct involvement in parental care of the cubs, the security of a territory is vital to the safe-keeping of the cubs until they reach sub-adulthood. Another facet to watch has been the interactive behavior of the Othawa male lion with the lionesses and the cubs. The cubs have yet to be seen moving close to the male. The handsome male will often snarl and growl at the cubs as they venture over to him with curiosity and often the snarl is enough of a warning to suggest it may not be a good idea to interact at all.
Now this is where is gets really interesting. The Matimba male coalition of two aging males continues to remain west of Singita and on occasion they move slightly east due to following the Othawa pride. The Othawa pride consists of three lionesses, three young cubs with an approximate age of six months, and to add further exciting news a new litter of cubs has been reported with one of the Othawa lionesses. There have been no visual signs of the cubs yet, thus indicating that they are too small to be moved at present.
So with all this happening the Matimba males seemingly ignore the roars from the Othawa male at present, however as the Othawa male spends a great deal of his time with the Mhangene lionesses which are currently moving in a small spectrum around the south eastern areas of Singita, this results in his roars being heard by the neighbouring Birmingham male lions which could result in some serious trouble if they move across further west to investigate the roars.
Until now, there has been a quietness amongst the demographics of the lions, however it could change overnight. I guess that is the wild for you, it can be cruel and kind, however we continue to relish being a part of it every day.
Mhangene lioness (photographed above) successfully hunts a warthog on her own, soon to be overpowered by the Othawa male. The male capitalises on staying with the females, knowing their success rate will only benefit him greatly as he gains the most from their food source due to his strength and size.

Credits: Ross Couper, field guide at Singita Sabi Sand

https://singita.com/wildife-report/growing-with-pride/
1 user Likes Mohawk4's post

Interesting developments @Mohawk4. Sounds like the Othawa boy may have some young cubs of his own. Image by Chené Wales-Bailie at Singita

*This image is copyright of its original author

@Pbonz there's one Nkuhuma young male to whom the Talamati boy is unrelated, he is a year younger than the Talamati males and presents no threat to the Avocas at this stage. Probably the Mangheni males will be the next to be evicted.
2 users Like Herekitty's post

Mohawk4 Offline
Heart 

Othawa male and Mhangeni female in Londolozi

Credits Anthony Goldman

Sassy(sister of Young Othawa male daughter of Majingilanes) with her 6 weeks cubs(Matimbas are the fathers)
Wow Like Heart

credits: David Blumberg

Savanna Private Game Reserve, 12.05.2018

https://www.facebook.com/othawamale2015/...399822962/
4 users Like Mohawk4's post

Canada Pbonz Offline

So the Othawa male is a Majingilane son correct?
The Mhangenis are from Mapogos? 
The talmati subs and mhangeni subs are who’s? 
So confusing keeping up with it all lol. 

Also, in the Mapogo documentary, the selati males were seen in it. What happened to them? And the last Tsalala male cub was Mapogo which was killed by Majingilane?

Canada Pbonz Offline

(12-06-2018, 01:14 AM)Herekitty Wrote: Interesting developments @Mohawk4. Sounds like the Othawa boy may have some young cubs of his own. Image by Chené Wales-Bailie at Singita

@Pbonz there's one Nkuhuma young male to whom the Talamati boy is unrelated, he is a year younger than the Talamati males and presents no threat to the Avocas at this stage. Probably the Mangheni males will be the next to be evicted.

Thx. How many subs with Nkhumas then? 3 Mangheni (who are there fathers,Majings?) and then the 3 Talamati? Who are their fathers. 
Thanks