There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-22-2024, 01:14 AM)Ngonya Wrote: 3 Nkhulu males boldly advanced deep into Ndzhenga territory this morning, roaring as they went. 
Roar of the Ndzhenga made them change their minds

My first thought was, ok, they now have three males marching together, that could mean trouble. In the end, I believe they made a smart decision. If they are looking for something easier than the Gijimas, they are in the wrong place for that.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States adamstocks16 Offline

Nkhulus seem to be testing the waters right now, pushing the boundaries and testing the strength of their neighbours before deciding whether or not to try make a land grab. Whatever they do they aren’t going to have it easy, Blonde Gijima is definitely on a mission to make sure they don’t!
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

Mapokser Online
Contributor

The fact Gijimas are dominating and "bullying" the Nkhulus is unreal, Avocas were already very strong and couldn't handle the pressure from challenging Nkhulu, but here the Gijimas are having the upper hand against prime territorial Nkhulus.

Sure most Nkhulu aren't as healthy as before but still, they're now territorial and in prime age, and 2 of them are fully healthy, big, strong males. I can't see any other duo but Gijimas resisting and thriving under the pressure of a coalition of 6.

We see that even young challenging coalitions of 5 like Bboys and Majingilane will "easily" defeat the strongest duos like the Mlowathi Mapogo and the S.Matimba.

And territorial coalitions then? Say the 5 Vuyelas, they didn't even try to take over the Mayambula pride but casually ousted the 2 mighty Skorro males with some casual pressure.

Hell even when it is 3v2 it is already extremely difficult, even the 2 Mbiris couldn't beat the Nhahru males after all, that despite 1 of them having a permanent limp and they being young small challenging males, not established territorial lions.

I mean that's how it is, it sounds unnatural how the Gijimas are chilling and constantly chasing off their 6 territorial neighbors for months now.

Something tells me that this isn't sustainable, the condition of the unhealthy Nkhulus is far far from bad enough that they couldn't realistically beat any duo with just 3 of them, and they are 6!

If the Nkhulu try to seriously challenge Gijimas or Ndhzenga in the future, like they did with the S.Avoca, I can't see how this can end well for the duos, I just hope that if this happens, it'll be only when the current cubs are old enough.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-22-2024, 10:33 AM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser 

Not all 6 Nkhulus are engaging Gijimas.

Just 4, of which 2 are unhealthy and not as confident or strong.

Recently only 2 healthy ones where seen in Gijimas territory, and now are joined by prob male #5 in Ndhzengas.

Its not even normal 2vs4, as only 2 are healthy.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-22-2024, 06:15 AM)Mapokser Wrote: The fact Gijimas are dominating and "bullying" the Nkhulus is unreal
I definitelly wouldn't describe it that way considering that both sides are chasing each other, not just Gijimas pushing over Nkhulus.
6 users Like Potato's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

Hello! Just saw a video on YouTube from PK Safaris about a lone young male lion. The comments seem to think it’s most likely the last S8 son from talamati pride. I took screenshots, how do I post pictures? 
I’d like to have others confirm it’s him but the age and eyes match. He has a bad back spinal injury that has been healing and he has been successful in finding/hunting food as he was in pretty good condition with a big belly. 
IF it’s him I think he has an excellent chance of making it just like wonkey eye. He was pretty far away so I’m not sure if he could ever find his way back to sabi sands.

Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Tr1x24 I pointed put the health issues, but still these lions are strong enough to clash and have done just that multiple times, it's not like they're unable to fight.

Nkhulus have clashed as 4 and 5 recently.

@Potato Well yeah, but the Nkhulu only chased Gijimas twice, with 5 and 4 members, and both times in Nkhulu territory, while I've lost count of how many times the Gijimas have chased them off, just in the last week, blond Gijima chased the 2 strongest Nkhuku twice.

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 08-22-2024, 09:14 PM by BA0701 )

(08-22-2024, 09:01 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
PHP Code:
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/76/06/11A147C0-2ADA-430F-813F-7DFDD2A9E434/74603286021__DB2F795E-15C4-4569-A1FF-5A35C50CC032.HEIC 
Test message to see if I can figure out how to post pictures…will delete or alter of successful

Nevermind, I read the post above this, and you said you have screen shots. Here is a link to the tutorial, located in our tutorial section, which I will also link, on how to upload pics. Let me know if you have any further help, we'll get you there.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-how-to-upload-image

https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tips-gu...al-problem

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(08-22-2024, 09:10 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-22-2024, 09:01 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
PHP Code:
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/76/06/11A147C0-2ADA-430F-813F-7DFDD2A9E434/74603286021__DB2F795E-15C4-4569-A1FF-5A35C50CC032.HEIC 
Test message to see if I can figure out how to post pictures…will delete or alter of successful

Nevermind, I read the post above this, and you said you have screen shots. Here is a link to the tutorial, located in our tutorial section, which I will also link, on how to upload pics. Let me know if you have any further help, we'll get you there.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-how-to-upload-image

https://wildfact.com/forum/forum-tips-gu...al-problem
Thank you thank you!! I’ll go and delete my repeated posts…Very excited to know if this lost boy is the missing S8 son.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-22-2024, 11:56 PM by Tr1x24 )

Styx young male and Kambula breakaway female stil together:

Credits: Chris Logan

*This image is copyright of its original author

Interesting how this female (just like lone Tsalala not long ago) is still not in estrus while being born in mid 2019, while some young females from SP, Styx and soon Othawas already went in estrus at ~ 3 - 3.5 yrs.

This again shows have different circumstances and experiences in life affects lions biology, thats why comparing lions in a manner "why are these males not showing territorial signs at ~6 yrs of age, while those other guys are at ~4" is not possible, because from outside, we dont know and understand those stuff.

Now we have 2 pairings like this, Styx/Kambula and NK Breakaways, if they somehow manage to link, that would be great for both boys and girls, but not very likely to happen.
11 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland NLAL11 Offline

(08-22-2024, 09:41 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Styx young male and Kambula breakaway female stil together:

Credits: Chris Logan

*This image is copyright of its original author

Interesting how this female (just like lone Tsalala not long ago) is still not in estrus while being born in mid 2019, while some young females from SP, Styx and soon Othawas already went in estrus at ~ 3 - 3.5 yrs.

This again shows have different circumstances and experiences in life affects lions biology, thats why comparing lions in a manner "why are these males not showing territorial signs at ~6 yrs of age, while those other guys are at ~4" is not possible, because from outside, we dont know and understand those stuff.

Now we have 2 pairings like this, Styx/Kambula and NK Breakaways, if they somehow manage to link, that would be great for both boys and girls, but not very likely to happen.

These two together... funny how things work out. I wouldn't say they're the same as the Nkuhuma breakaways though, as those two are siblings. Styx male and Kambula breakaway female are more likely to become a mating pair. They remind me more of the Tsalala lioness and Skorro Orpen male. Just like those two, I don't see this working out. But it's nice that they have another lion to be with for now.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(08-19-2024, 05:36 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Tsalala and the future of the Pride!

So happy for this beautiful queen. Hopefully, these little fellows make it to adulthood.
2 users Like afortich's post

RookiePundit Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2024, 07:29 PM by BA0701 )

Who are those two males? Gijimas?
2 users Like RookiePundit's post

Georgia Dreadlocks Offline

Birmingham boys Nhenha and Mfumo
2 users Like Dreadlocks's post

RookiePundit Offline

Ah, I thought it was more recent. Thanks.
2 users Like RookiePundit's post