There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

6 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 08:26 PM by Potato )

(04-09-2021, 08:13 PM)Potato Wrote:

It is hard to judge look male on the left, but to my eye it is Nharu male vs Snip Tail Mbiri. Here is the video of all 4 of them on buff kill from while back where faces of the all 4 are nicely visible for comparison. 

3 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-09-2021, 08:40 PM by Tr1x24 )

@Potato theres your confirmation that Snip Tailed male is the most dominant male, he beat up Nharu male over female..

It looks like Tintswalo males are really here to stay, they behave like dominant males now and will mate with their sister/mothers..

Inbreeding doesnt happen that often in lion worlds but it happens from time to time, theres no males to oust these guys as Orpens died off, so they will claim this territory..

These guys are beasts,except Nharu who is 5, Mbiris are only around 4 yrs old..

It looks like these guys will be dominant force in Manyeleti for many years..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-09-2021, 08:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: theres your confirmation that Snip Tailed male is the most dominant male, he beat up Nharu male over female..
There is confirmation that he is more dominant than at least 1 of the other Tintswalo males. It doesn't mean he is more dominant than the other ones. Even underestimated in the debate on order of dominance among Tintswalo males, the shortest maned male looks to be on pair with other what it comes to body size and I think he shouldn't be underestimated. Just look at him at the pond with other Tintswalos beside Snip Tailed one at 13:23

Also it is not like I am 100% sure it is Nharu male. It is realle hard to say from that angle.

(04-09-2021, 08:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: It looks like Tintswalo males are really here to stay, they behave like dominant males now and will mate with their sister/mothers..

Inbreeding doesnt happen that often in lion worlds but it happens from time to time, theres no males to oust these guys as Orpens died off, so they will claim this territory..
So it seems.
2 users Like Potato's post

RookiePundit Offline

Yeah, it is not a great situation, maybe they get gready later and move on to claim another pride, but as long as they don't abandon Mbiris for good, as a 4 strong coalition (perhaps 3 but he probably re-emerges) they have good shot to sire 2 rounds of cubs with good chance to make, unless those with some genetic drawbacks already. I guess the silver lining is that he last Orpen cubs, if there is a male among them, he would get a good chance to be leader of his younger Tintswalo brothers if their road is somewhat untisted and uneventful and they would make a colalition together, which could help with him siring more than his share of that coalition cubs at least initially. Then again Thanda Impi and related genes might be less represent around than Matimba's and related ones, just in Manyeleti that seems to be different atm. Ofc that ibreeding situation might lead to the would be cubs not surving pregnancy or first weeks after birth.

What is Mbiri pride lionesses origin again? The younger, Tintswalo sisters, are obvious, but was Mbiri pride always there or do we know more baout its inception like in case of Nharus?

RookiePundit Offline

I have to say, I like the current hierachy among them though, I kind of liked Snip Tail before already, for selfish reasions - I am sucker for easily distinguished individuals. I agree the youngest Short maned male has potentially more impressive frame to fill, his head is aleady massive. I by no means expect their pecking order to remain always the same, but it seems quite settled right now. What is it that seemingly so many distinctly mohawked males seem to be assertive/aggressive among their peers? As for the discussion above, I think in his case it is clearly confidence not a physical strenght that is the difference and it might be like that to some extent of a while if the other two are used to being followers. The youngest male might grow up into more impressive specimen and might become more of a factor when his younger age won't be a factor. But anything can happen anytime that coul change the dynamics greatly, which is also part of the draw.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-09-2021, 08:47 PM)Potato Wrote: Also it is not like I am 100% sure it is Nharu male. It is realle hard to say from that angle.

It is 100% Nharu.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(04-09-2021, 11:06 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 08:47 PM)Potato Wrote: Also it is not like I am 100% sure it is Nharu male. It is realle hard to say from that angle.

It is 100% Nharu.

Why are you so sure?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-09-2021, 11:14 PM)Potato Wrote: Why are you so sure?

Because i see, thats Nharu, he and 3rd male are not that similar in face..

Hairy tummy Offline

Who sired these guys?

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-10-2021, 02:13 AM by Tr1x24 )

(04-10-2021, 02:05 AM)Hairy tummy Wrote: Who sired these guys?

Thanda Impi males, Skorro and Sizanani, same as Tumbela males, Nharu male in this coalition is brother of Tumbelas.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Hairy tummy Offline

Thanks tr1x24

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

4 users Like Potato's post

Gijima Offline

That Mbiri cub doesn’t look like it’s going to make it. Also... whose cubs would they be if Mbiri lionesses are denning now? Juniors cubs should be two months old by now. If a lioness is still denning she definitely didn’t conceive in November. Or am I getting my dates mixed up?
1 user Likes Gijima's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(04-13-2021, 03:09 AM)Gijima Wrote: That Mbiri cub doesn’t look like it’s going to make it. Also... whose cubs would they be if Mbiri lionesses are denning now? Juniors cubs should be two months old by now. If a lioness is still denning she definitely didn’t conceive in November. Or am I getting my dates mixed up?

Cubs are usually in the den for atleast 1-2 months before introduced to the pride, and lioness is pregnant for atleast 3 months.. So if theres cubs they they are prob from Orpens still..

But are we sure that Mbiri lionesses are denning? I think its only a speculation from the rangers because they dont see them around..

We didn't see whole 6 Mbiri lionesses in ages it feels like, since Orpens passed away, atleast what i know..
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post