There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lions of Manyeleti

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Mbiri male with the Birmingham pride:

6 users Like Mapokser's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Red Road in the company of what I am told is the last remaining son still w the Pride.   This was yesterday about ten KMs away from where the Kambulas were later seen in Manyeleti and had downed a Buffalo Kill.

W Tristán now departed from Tintswalo, I’ve lost a good contact on gaining information from this reserve.   I am not sure who will replace him in his duties and how often we can get information moving forward.  

I’m hoping the second son that had been w the Pride is ok, and maybe w a separate group and it explains why he has not been sighted.

Credit.  Vestment

Attached Files Image(s)

6 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(07-02-2024, 07:42 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Red Road in the company of what I am told is the last remaining son still w the Pride.   This was yesterday about ten KMs away from where the Kambulas were later seen in Manyeleti and had downed a Buffalo Kill.

W Tristán now departed from Tintswalo, I’ve lost a good contact on gaining information from this reserve.   I am not sure who will replace him in his duties and how often we can get information moving forward.  

I’m hoping the second son that had been w the Pride is ok, and maybe w a separate group and it explains why he has not been sighted.

Credit.  Vestment

That other son was almost the same size as RR, he was turning into a really impressive male, I do hope he is OK.
2 users Like BA0701's post

DE_66 Offline

(06-18-2024, 04:47 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 04:19 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: He's been dominant for like 5 years now, definitely one of the longest reigns of a solo male ever. I think it was speculated at one point that he was a son of the Matimbas, which would add more to the already legendary bloodline of the 6-male coalition. Do we know how many male subs sons does he have?

Yeah, I made the comment earlier, that RRM is the lion by whom all future solo males will be judged. He has set the level of success bar really high. An incredible male lion! I don't know how many sons he has had in total, sorry.

I think that lion who controlled his pride for so long that he ended up mating with his great granddaughters might have something to say about that, lol.  Looinkito?  I can't remember his name.

Mapoza also deserves a mention.  He's done quite well for himself since his brother died.  He did get an assist from the Xikukutsus in taking over the Monwanas, but he's been on his own for years now.  I'm sure he wishes they'd return right about now, though.  Does anyone know how many offspring Mapoza had in the Avoca Pride?

The Solo Giraffe Male (father of BDMs, younger brother of Avoca Giraffes) had a great run.  I wish he'd never gone into that reserve.  I fear the Xikukutsus may have suffered his same fate.

Black Dam Male had a really good run as well.

The Last Roller Coaster did well after losing all his bros.  Held multiple prides as a solo male for some time.  

Not to take anything from Red Road.  He has done really well.  One of the best-looking lions of all time IMO.  Also very scrappy.
3 users Like DE_66's post

Super Moderator

(Yesterday, 11:41 AM)DE_66 Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 04:47 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(06-18-2024, 04:19 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: He's been dominant for like 5 years now, definitely one of the longest reigns of a solo male ever. I think it was speculated at one point that he was a son of the Matimbas, which would add more to the already legendary bloodline of the 6-male coalition. Do we know how many male subs sons does he have?

Yeah, I made the comment earlier, that RRM is the lion by whom all future solo males will be judged. He has set the level of success bar really high. An incredible male lion! I don't know how many sons he has had in total, sorry.

I think that lion who controlled his pride for so long that he ended up mating with his great granddaughters might have something to say about that, lol.  Looinkito?  I can't remember his name.

Mapoza also deserves a mention.  He's done quite well for himself since his brother died.  He did get an assist from the Xikukutsus in taking over the Monwanas, but he's been on his own for years now.  I'm sure he wishes they'd return right about now, though.  Does anyone know how many offspring Mapoza had in the Avoca Pride?

The Solo Giraffe Male (father of BDMs, younger brother of Avoca Giraffes) had a great run.  I wish he'd never gone into that reserve.  I fear the Xikukutsus may have suffered his same fate.

Black Dam Male had a really good run as well.

The Last Roller Coaster did well after losing all his bros.  Held multiple prides as a solo male for some time.  

Not to take anything from Red Road.  He has done really well.  One of the best-looking lions of all time IMO.  Also very scrappy.

So many truthful comments in this post. Yes, Loonkito may well be the King of solo male lions, he for sure lasted longer than any others that I know of, and he won what remains the single longest, most brutal fight between two males I have ever seen. The problem with Loonkito is updates on him were infrequent at best, we got so little information on the surrounding lion dynamics, that it makes it difficult to know just how good he was. We know he could fight, and had absolutely no quit in him, both from the fight I mentioned and from his very longevity.

All of these other males you mentioned are/were top shelf solo males, for sure, nobody can argue that. Mapoza is still building his legacy today, so it is yet to be determined if he or RRM will have created a better legacy, but both of them have done themselves proud. 

Sandrigham, I believe is the name of the reserve that Giraffe Male disappeared to. Thanks to @Tr1x24 superb detective skills, we found out just how dangerous that reserve is to lions. He too was a fantastic solo male.

BDM had a great run, and he remains the 3rd largest lion ever measured in Timbavati, an enormous beast of a lion. That photo of him standing near that truck is forever seared into my memory, the same way that fight Loonkito had, is. Had he not been gored by that buffalo, who knows how strong his legacy may have been. Had everything gone well, he should have had years, yet, to continue building his legacy. He even got many cubs to adulthood, including the two Monwana males, with whom he then had a few skirmishes with in the weeks before his untimely death.

There are many great solo male lions, for sure, and my comment was not meant to belittle any of their accomplishments. I made it, simply because of the frequency of updates we receive on RRM, so we are able to closely view his accomplishments, and all he has endured, and continues to. That includes battling more than one lion, on more than one occasion.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Actually the BDM's skull was the largest ever measured including all wild lions anywhere.

His body was never measured but he was darted and head guide of Timbavati said he was the largest they had ever darted with a tail girth as thick as his ankle.

This is very impressive since Timbavati had weighed Ximpoko at 283kg with a full stomach ad well as 1/3 Timbavati males at 259kg with little stomach content.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Super Moderator

(7 hours ago)Mapokser Wrote: Actually the BDM's skull was the largest ever measured including all wild lions anywhere.

His body was never measured but he was darted and head guide of Timbavati said he was the largest they had ever darted with a tail girth as thick as his ankle.

This is very impressive since Timbavati had weighed Ximpoko at 283kg with a full stomach ad well as 1/3 Timbavati males at 259kg with little stomach content.

I got my information from @T I N O, that it was the third, maybe he can help clear it up.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Oops sorry I meant third largest ever, not the largest ever or third largest in Timbavati.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 4 hours ago by BA0701 )

(5 hours ago)Mapokser Wrote: Oops sorry I meant third largest ever, not the largest ever or third largest in Timbavati.

No worries my friend, yeah, that is exactly what I said, I should have, however, clarified that it was the skull. I do not believe they got any further measurements from him, or at least ones that they shared.
1 user Likes BA0701's post