There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Lions from Botswana

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-05-2024, 08:06 AM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Fixed spelling error )

One of the drawbacks of a coalition controlling numerous prides. I don't know which coalition the male belongs to (said to be 4 strong) or which pride the lionesses are from nor what pride the young male is from. What is known, is that young male is the son of the adult male but he's not a member of the pride the lionesses make up, and he may have ended up paying the ultimate price (no exact word on the final outcome) for trying to get a piece of the buffalo kill his father and the unrelated females were on.

5 users Like Mwk85's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(09-05-2024, 08:05 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: One of the drawbacks of a coalition controlling numerous prides. I don't know which coalition the male belongs to (said to be 4 strong) or which pride the lionesses are from nor what pride the young male is from. What is known, is that young male is the son of the adult male but he's not a member of the pride the lionesses make up, and he may have ended up paying the ultimate price (no exact word on the final outcome) for trying to get a piece of the buffalo kill his father and the unrelated females were on.

An innocent mistake, as his father was on the kill with them. I hope the young male is ok.
3 users Like BA0701's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-07-2024, 12:29 PM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Fixed spelling error )

(09-05-2024, 06:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-05-2024, 08:05 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: One of the drawbacks of a coalition controlling numerous prides. I don't know which coalition the male belongs to (said to be 4 strong) or which pride the lionesses are from nor what pride the young male is from. What is known, is that young male is the son of the adult male but he's not a member of the pride the lionesses make up, and he may have ended up paying the ultimate price (no exact word on the final outcome) for trying to get a piece of the buffalo kill his father and the unrelated females were on.

An innocent mistake, as his father was on the kill with them. I hope the young male is ok.

Looked for an update and found that he didn't survive. Don't know if they killed him outright at the kill site or if he succumbed to his injuries at some point after.
2 users Like Mwk85's post

Super Moderator

(09-07-2024, 12:28 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(09-05-2024, 06:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Looked for an update and found that he didn't survive. Don't know if they killed him outright at the kill site or if he succumbed to his injuries at some point after.

Poor little fella, he saw his pops on a kill, and thought, this is great, I could use a bite, prances up happily, only to find he'd made a fatal mistake.

KM600 Offline

A short video on the Renegade / Northern Alliance and the Northern Pride. Very full circle how these boys are the ones to get this pride back to where they belong after their fathers abandoned it after ousting the 5 Kawhi males.

Lil history lesson on the Northern Pride from as much as I’ve heard, after Sekekama and TornNose abandoned it, a new coalition started to take control of the pride and mate with the lionesses, either two or three males I can’t exactly remember. Anyways, one of these males killed its own cubs and this was documented in Savage Kingdom, whether this was because he had done less mating than his brothers or controlled another pride and was never as familiar with the same lionesses, it’s unknown.

It was largely reported that these males were most likely chased out the area by no other than Sekekama and TornNose. This created a power shift and left this pride vacant once again, which was perfect for the Rebel Coalition, older brothers of the Renegades to takeover. They didn’t rule this area for long as they split up but successfully sired some offspring and that helped the pride avoid becoming extinct, the same daughters of these boys began mating with the Renegades and helped this pride get back on top. Now a powerhouse, with the strongest coalition in Savuti as their protectors and hopefully it stays this way.

3 users Like KM600's post

Super Moderator

(09-08-2024, 11:07 PM)KM600 Wrote: A short video on the Renegade / Northern Alliance and the Northern Pride. Very full circle how these boys are the ones to get this pride back to where they belong after their fathers abandoned it after ousting the 5 Kawhi males.

Lil history lesson on the Northern Pride from as much as I’ve heard, after Sekekama and TornNose abandoned it, a new coalition started to take control of the pride and mate with the lionesses, either two or three males I can’t exactly remember. Anyways, one of these males killed its own cubs and this was documented in Savage Kingdom, whether this was because he had done less mating than his brothers or controlled another pride and was never as familiar with the same lionesses, it’s unknown.

It was largely reported that these males were most likely chased out the area by no other than Sekekama and TornNose. This created a power shift and left this pride vacant once again, which was perfect for the Rebel Coalition, older brothers of the Renegades to takeover. They didn’t rule this area for long as they split up but successfully sired some offspring and that helped the pride avoid becoming extinct, the same daughters of these boys began mating with the Renegades and helped this pride get back on top. Now a powerhouse, with the strongest coalition in Savuti as their protectors and hopefully it stays this way.

Good Lord, those are some huge cats!

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-08-2024, 11:31 PM by KM600 )

If u have ever wondered why a coalition of 5 split in the first place, this photo right here is the sole reason why. I’ve seen the video but think it might have been deleted as it was years old or something, still if I find it anytime soon I’ll link it below here. Anyways, as the tweet says this was the altercation that led to Sekekama and TornNose splitting from their brothers. I’m not one to necessarily say everything ‘happens for a reason.’ but if Sekekama and TornNose really are gone, and seeming as it’s been more than a year since they were last seen, it just seems right how both these brothers left the world together. That right there is the kind of loyalty that very few animals and ppl alike will ever experience and in my opinion, the reason they were so successful.

KM600 Offline

(09-08-2024, 11:19 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(09-08-2024, 11:07 PM)KM600 Wrote: A short video on the Renegade / Northern Alliance and the Northern Pride. Very full circle how these boys are the ones to get this pride back to where they belong after their fathers abandoned it after ousting the 5 Kawhi males.

Good Lord, those are some huge cats!

I agree, I think they’re the most impressive coaltion I know of, in terms of size and the area they control and have been controlling since a young age.

KM600 Offline

M1 and M2 patrolling two months ago. ‘These boys are dominant males in the Mababe depression and the biggest lions in the area according to reports despite lacking further development’ which would be because of their age. Should have turned 5 recently. It then goes into how these boys may have killed and ousted Sekekama and/or TornNose as they were seen in the same area last year and these boys were seen with battle wounds.

I’ve never heard of these boys being responsible for the disappearance of their fathers, however I have heard one report from a very respectable source who claims they prolly ousted their fathers from the pride they become dominant over and sired cubs in after leaving Marsh Pride. Unfortunately the news is hard to follow in Botswana in the more popular areas, never mind in Mababe, so I’m unclear as to whether they control the same pride Sekekama and TornNose had claimed.

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 09-17-2024, 10:18 PM by BA0701 )

Some background on the Renegades, Sekekama, and some of his other sons. Says Tsekedi disappeared in 2021, too bad, as he was a gorgeous, strong willed male.

2 users Like BA0701's post

KM600 Offline

Sekekama 11 years ago, he always had one of the best blonde manes around until it started seriously darkening. Easily one of my favourite lions of all time.

2 users Like KM600's post

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 09-18-2024, 03:48 AM by KM600 )

3 of the 4 Renegades / Northern Alliance. A little bit off topic here, but whenever I’ve thought about seeing lions up close, I’ve never had a doubt in my mind it would be at Sabi Sands. They’re the lions I have the most knowledge about and the greatest connection to but man I’d love to see these boys in real life too.

I hope we are lucky enough to get consistent updates on them, whether that’s because ppl have taken a liking to them specifically or just because they’re the offspring of one of the most successful duos of all time. We wasn’t fortunate enough to witness their upbringing like we can with lions in Greater KNP, Masai Mara etc but hopefully we can see how it ends.

KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: Yesterday, 12:20 AM by KM600 )

Update on the Renegades / Northern Alliance. I think what might be happening is that the 3 younger brothers just have more ambition to claim more whereas Sekoti, now 9, isn’t as motivated. Last year when they entered Marsh Pride territory and chased away Gaam and Tsunami, Sekoti and Romeo returned to their territory meanwhile Waziba and Pretty Boy II stayed in Marsh Pride territory for days, signifying to me they might be the more dominant males. It’s also assumed the very first litter sired by these boys, cubs from Satau who I’m sure @BA0701 remembers from Savage Kingdom, were sired by Pretty Boy II.

I’m also very appreciative of lions who pay special attention to the youngsters, Lorkulup is one of my favourite lions for that very reason, Makhulu too. As long as the bond doesn’t get completely broken, and I don’t think it will, then Sekoti barring any illness or sudden rapid decline in health will thrive.

As for what territories they could take next, I was thinking M1 and M2, their brothers, are extremely fortunate Marsh Pride territory stands between them and the Northern Alliance. I can’t see many males wanting to see this coaltion at their doorstep.

*This image is copyright of its original author

1 user Likes KM600's post

Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: Yesterday, 12:34 AM by BA0701 )

(Yesterday, 12:14 AM)KM600 Wrote: Update on the Renegades / Northern Alliance. I think what might be happening is that the 3 younger brothers just have more ambition to claim more whereas Sekoti, now 9, isn’t as motivated. Last year when they entered Marsh Pride territory and chased away Gaam and Tsunami, Sekoti and Romeo returned to their territory meanwhile Waziba and Pretty Boy II stayed in Marsh Pride territory for days, signifying to me they might be the more dominant males. It’s also assumed the very first litter sired by these boys, cubs from Satau who I’m sure @BA0701 remembers from Savage Kingdom, were sired by Pretty Boy II.

I’m also very appreciative of lions who pay special attention to the youngsters, Lorkulup is one of my favourite lions for that very reason, Makhulu too. As long as the bond doesn’t get completely broken, and I don’t think it will, then Sekoti barring any illness or sudden rapid decline in health will thrive.

As for what territories they could take next, I was thinking M1 and M2, their brothers, are extremely fortunate Marsh Pride territory stands between them and the Northern Alliance. I can’t see many males wanting to see this coaltion at their doorstep.

Those young males are certainly ambitious, and appear top fear nothing and nobody. Sekoti sure has been through some tough times, though.

Wasn't Satau the female who broke away? If so, they almost tried to make her out to be the evil type sister, along the lines of Scar from LK, I never cared for the way they presented that breakaway female. There was also a female who had some cubs, the pride happened upon her den site, and they killed the cubs, but I don't recall which female that was either, I guess it is time to break out my DVDs again, it's been awhile.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

KM600 Offline

(Yesterday, 12:33 AM)BA0701 Wrote:
(Yesterday, 12:14 AM)KM600 Wrote: Update on the Renegades / Northern Alliance. I think what might be happening is that the 3 younger brothers just have more ambition to claim more whereas Sekoti, now 9, isn’t as motivated. Last year when they entered Marsh Pride territory and chased away Gaam and Tsunami, Sekoti and Romeo returned to their territory meanwhile Waziba and Pretty Boy II stayed in Marsh Pride territory for days, signifying to me they might be the more dominant males. It’s also assumed the very first litter sired by these boys, cubs from Satau who I’m sure @BA0701 remembers from Savage Kingdom, were sired by Pretty Boy II.

Those young males are certainly ambitious, and appear top fear nothing and nobody. Sekoti sure has been through some tough times, though.

Wasn't Satau the female who broke away? If so, they almost tried to make her out to be the evil type sister, along the lines of Scar from LK, I never cared for the way they presented that breakaway female. There was also a female who had some cubs, the pride happened upon her den site, and they killed the cubs, but I don't recall which female that was either, I guess it is time to break out my DVDs again, it's been awhile.

Satau was the Northern Pride lioness but I don’t think she ever broke away from Marsh Pride, I don’t think she’s related to them, maybe very distantly through other coalitions many many years before the Selinda boys ended up taking over. Like u said it was weird how she come across in SK, they also made her out to be a threat to Sekekamas existence. She disappeared two years ago I believe. 

The other lioness you’re on about is Matsumi. Last I heard, from a year ago, she was alive and mating with either Gaam or Tsunami.
1 user Likes KM600's post