There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Dirk Postma.

Nossob hide - Brown hyena playing dead. A lady later told me that he got up,drank water and walked away.

*This image is copyright of its original author

8 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Credits: Grehard Skeenkamp Photography

A quick greet from the Kalahari.
Munro this morning busy with his morning stroll.
First time I saw him since Oct 2017. He gave me one of his famous roars to let me know he is okay.

4 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

We are starting the new year now, be as brave as this little Lion cub! 
Credits: Latest Kruger

7 users Like vinodkumarn's post

United States TheLioness Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Lol
1 user Likes TheLioness's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@vinodkumarn :

About #993: This cub has already some perverted wishes ! Confused
1 user Likes Spalea's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

Credits to Stephen Kangisser 
Hungry lioness and her cubs rip the limbs from a buffalo for dinner

A hungry lioness and her cubs were snapped ripping the limbs from a buffalo after it is brought home for their dinner.
Stephen Kangisser captured the pack tucking into the feast while taking photographs on the Kruger National Park in South Africa.And an adorable cub - which looks just like Disney's doe-eyed Simba from the Lion King - was photographed tenderly cradling its mother's face and staring into her eyes with admiration after the pride were seen devouring a buffalo.

An adorable cub is snapped holding onto his mother's face as if to say 'thank you' for the buffalo
Stephen, 63, from Johannesburg, is particularly proud of the heartwarming snap.He said: 'The photograph is a really cute one. 'The lions were relaxing after eating a buffalo.'I was around 50 metres away and I was clicking away on my camera. 

'The lions had killed the buffalo the day before and they were still eating it. It wasn't a pretty sight, but that is just nature.'We were there for quite a few hours and I was taking lots of photographs. The adult lions were relaxing and the cubs were playing together.'He added: 'I managed to take the photograph of the cub affectionately holding onto its mother's face. It was very cute. 'I have never seen a lion show such affection before, it was like he was thanking her for bringing the buffalo to the pride.' 

The lions prowl about on top of the gigantic beast as they tuck in to its flesh for dinner
6 users Like Fredymrt's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

This photo perfectly captures the intensity of coming across a magnificent beast like this, in the dark of the night.
(Photo: Singita Kruger National Park Field Guide, Jacques Briam)

6 users Like vinodkumarn's post

( This post was last modified: 01-31-2018, 09:01 AM by Fredymrt )

In this video the Buffalos were not saving the Elephant, this isn't love or compassion, they were chasing the lions buffalos don't tolerate lions.

Credits to: Jill Mathew

Buffaloes Rescue Baby Elephant from Lions 

January 30, 2018

This is the brave moment a herd of buffaloes runs in to save a helpless elephant calf that is being defeated by a pride of hungry lions!
Hospitality expert, Jill Mathew, captured the unpredictable turn of events in the Kruger National Park, South Africa, on the 23rd Jan 2018.
Jill, 63, told LatestSightings.com the full story: “Early on Tuesday morning, my husband, Jim and I, left Punda Maria camp and headed to the almost-dry Klopperfontein Dam. As soon as we arrived, we saw 2 large bull elephants protecting a small baby elephant. There were also buffalo, zebra & impala trying to find the last remains of moisture from the dam.”

“After a while, we unexpectedly noticed a pride of lions sitting on rocks above the dam. They were very well camouflaged in the shade of some trees. From the pride, there was one lioness who was particulalry alert and and looking for opportunities for a kill. Nothing happened for a long time, so we decided to leave the sighting and return later. Usually, when lions hide by a waterhole, their plan is to hunt whatever comes to drink, so we felt sure a kill was being planned.”

“At 17:15 we arrived back at the waterhole, to find the lions still where we left them earlier. We felt a sense of anticipation, knowing that the lions were strategically positioned for an attack on anything that walks too close. But we also felt a bit confused that the animals down at the water already weren’t of interest to the lions. Finally, we were in shock and disbelief as a baby elephant emerged alone & unprotected, from the bush. The pride of lions ambushed the baby and pounced!”

“Watching all of this happen, our hearts were pumping! The baby elephant was helpless and we were sitting and wondering where the mother was to come and help the poor baby.
From the waterhole, a group of buffaloes heard the commotion and decided to come and investigate. Buffaloes and lions are eternal enemies of the wild, so when they saw the lions, they weren’t happy. The buffaloes decided they wanted the lions out of there and proceeded to chase them away.”

“One by one, all the lions escaped and the little elephant got up and ran for his life. He ran towards the two bull elephants that were near the dam. These two bull elephants didn’t protect the scared baby elephant, the lions noticed this and closed in & attacked again. This time it was unfortunately behind a bush, out of our sight.”

“The bull elephants sounded a loud trumpeting sound, almost showing their heartfelt emotions of loss as they noticed what was happening. My husband and I felt similar heartfelt emotions as the sole witnesses of this sighting.”

“The sighting ended with the large pride of 15-18 lions seizing the baby elephant. We presume that they finally succeeded in killing it...”

“This was extremely rare! We even think it is unrepeatable and was most definitely once in our lifetime!
Leaving this sighting, we would like to give others advice: At any sighting, read the signs that the behavior of the animal portrays and anticipate what is going to happen and be ready to video the entire scene, emotional as it may be. I regret not capturing it all as it was fast-moving and partially obscured by bushes.”
WATCH:

“Lastly, we would like to open a discussion and hear from others regarding answers to the questions of elephant-behaviour surrounding this event: Why would this baby have been abandoned? Could it be that the mother was killed by poachers?
Did anyone else hear about /see the sequel to this the following day, as we had to leave and couldn't return.”

6 users Like Fredymrt's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Neels du Plooy‎.

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member

1 user Likes AlexE's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member

Marsh pride lioness grabs hyenas
1 user Likes AlexE's post

THE BLACK-MANED BROTHERS OF LEKGABA
by
Thea Felmore
Friday, 26 January 2018

The famous Kalahari black-maned lion brothers located in the Lekgaba section of Tswalu. This is the only section where these lions can be found © Thea Felmore

A wonderful moment of the bond between a lion and his cub
3 users Like Fredymrt's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Cheetah Tented Camp.
Photo: Jorge Alesanco

1 user Likes vinodkumarn's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Johan de Wet.

Kgalagadi has a new "Scarface". Lion with freshly acquired scars resting at Craig Lochart waterhole.

Side view of the scars. Zoom in for an appreciation of how deep they are.

9 users Like Tshokwane's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Tshokwane :

About #1006: Really impressive scratches ! Luckily, his left eyes remained intact, but perhaps he will become an iconic animal too.
1 user Likes Spalea's post