There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

The Spice Boys, a coalition formed by the male Lions Ginger & Garlic

3 users Like Leo Aslan's post

SpinoRex Offline
Banned

(02-08-2022, 03:35 PM)The Panther Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 12:43 AM)SpinoRex Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 03:50 PM)Hello Wrote: Inverdoorn reserve, South Africa

*This image is copyright of its original author

Are they wild?
These lions are from a private game reserve in the Karoo region of Western Cape, which is near Cape Town, so they're not exactly wild unfortunately. They could however, be a good foundation population for wild lions to return to the Cape region, which is also true for lions in Aquila Game Reserve. 

Semi-wild can mean they were born in captivity but then sent out to the wilderness, usually under close supervision, they can hunt animals within the vicinity.

"Semi-wild can mean they were born in captivity but then sent out to the wilderness"

I would consider that as wild. If they live like wild lions there arent any problems.
1 user Likes SpinoRex's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-09-2022, 06:48 AM by Pckts )

(02-08-2022, 04:11 PM)The Panther Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 04:04 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 04:48 AM)SpinoRex Wrote: 2 monstrous males captured in the Ngorongoro Crater. The left one is absolutely gigantic... look at that body thickness.

Are you sure this is the crater? 
Landscape looks sparse for the crater but the one male has the notorious shoulder mane so I’m thrown.

Also, you should give credit to the photographer whenever possible.
This is simply the dry season. Ngorongoro Crater after all changes depending on the season, so it's at it's greenest during the wet season. Manes like elsewhere vary in size, so some won't be as impressive as others. This is more evident in Ngorongoro Crater, where the cooler high altitude temperatures allows for a greater range of mane sizes, so males with massive manes covering their shoulders and arms can be in the same group as males with more "medium" sized manes that only cover up to the tips of their shoulders.
The crater doesn't have a dry season the same way the surrounding Conservation Area does. Of course it dries out with little to no rain but the cooler temps and lush volcanic soil keep the water holes filled and have much more green foliage year round. 
In regards to Mane size, generally speaking it's the Crater that produces the most shoulder covering manes and while some don't have as much as others, prime males usually have it. What really threw me off about this photo was the lack of green anywhere as well as no visible crater rim as far as the eye can see which is what leads me to believe it's the surrounding Conservation area which was far more dry and open. I could be wrong but I never once got a view like this when I was in the crater.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

5 users Like Rage2277's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 02-13-2022, 09:34 AM by BA0701 )

(02-08-2022, 11:52 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 04:48 AM)SpinoRex Wrote: 2 monstrous males captured in the Ngorongoro Crater. The left one is absolutely gigantic... look at that body thickness.

Landscape looks sparse for the crater but the one male has the notorious shoulder mane so I’m thrown.

This is simply the dry season. Ngorongoro Crater after all changes depending on the season, so it's at it's greenest during the wet season. Manes like elsewhere vary in size, so some won't be as impressive as others. This is more evident in Ngorongoro Crater, where the cooler high altitude temperatures allows for a greater range of mane sizes, so males with massive manes covering their shoulders and arms can be in the same group as males with more "medium" sized manes that only cover up to the tips of their shoulders.
The crater doesn't have a dry season the same way the surrounding Conservation Area does. Of course it dries out with little to no rain but the cooler temps and lush volcanic soil keep the water holes filled and have much more green foliage year round. 
In regards to Mane size, generally speaking it's the Crater that produces the most shoulder covering manes and while some don't have as much as others, prime males usually have it. What really threw me off about this photo was the lack of green anywhere as well as no visible crater rim as far as the eye can see which is what leads me to believe it's the surrounding Conservation area which was far more dry and open. I could be wrong but I never once got a view like this when I was in the crater.

Not sure if you have seen the documentary about the Vumbi Pride, on Lion Gangland. They are shown in the documentary to be a desert pride, and their dominant males were C-Boy and his brother Hildur, Serengeti males (edited for incorrect information). If you haven't seen the documentary, I highly recommend it, it is one of my personal favorites.

1 user Likes BA0701's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-13-2022, 04:30 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Not sure if you have seen the documentary about the Vumbi Pride, on Lion Gangland. They are shown in the documentary to be a desert pride, and their dominant males were C-Boy and his brother Hildur, Crater males. If you haven't seen the documentary, I highly recommend it, it is one of my personal favorites.

They were actually Serengeti males, not Crater.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

The Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-16-2022, 02:53 PM by The Panther )

The Crater can indeed get pretty dry and yellow during the dry season as you can see in these videos. You can also see the Crater rim in the background.

So you can see that it's far from green during the dry season, in fact the top video even says it was filmed in August, which is during the dry season. As for the manes, yes Ngorongoro Crater lions are bound to have fuller manes more often due to the constant cool temperatures, plus it helps that the Crater floor on average is higher than much of the Highland plains in both Tanzania and Kenya. Certain Southern African lions also have impressive manes like that, especially on the Plateaus. The biggest manes would've consistently occurred in the country of Lesotho and the rest of the Drakensberg mountain range of South Africa, but unfortunately lions are no longer found in those areas.
1 user Likes The Panther's post

The Panther Offline

(02-08-2022, 07:49 PM)SpinoRex Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 03:35 PM)The Panther Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 12:43 AM)SpinoRex Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 03:50 PM)Hello Wrote: Inverdoorn reserve, South Africa

Are they wild?
These lions are from a private game reserve in the Karoo region of Western Cape, which is near Cape Town, so they're not exactly wild unfortunately. They could however, be a good foundation population for wild lions to return to the Cape region, which is also true for lions in Aquila Game Reserve. 

Semi-wild can mean they were born in captivity but then sent out to the wilderness, usually under close supervision, they can hunt animals within the vicinity.

"Semi-wild can mean they were born in captivity but then sent out to the wilderness"

I would consider that as wild. If they live like wild lions there arent any problems.
Yes, they are pretty much like wild lions but under closer supervision. They're generally not sent far out into the wild where they can encounter other lions or Hyenas, which is definitely a good thing in the short term. Like I alluded to before, this can be a great way to reintroduce lions into areas they've not been seen in for almost 200 years, like much of the Western Cape or the Drakensberg mountain range and so on.

Cath2020 Offline

(02-13-2022, 04:30 AM)BA0701 Wrote:

Not sure if you have seen the documentary about the Vumbi Pride, on Lion Gangland. They are shown in the documentary to be a desert pride, and their dominant males were C-Boy and his brother Hildur, Serengeti males (edited for incorrect information). If you haven't seen the documentary, I highly recommend it, it is one of my personal favorites.

Is this the pride that Snyggve is from?  The Vumbi Pride?  The time scale is about right to when he would have been born or within a year or two.  Absolutely the most magnificent specimen of a male lion you'll ever see in his prime...

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

It is not easy to be the king of the jungle. Great sighting of one of the Kgalagadi lions which they distinguished by their big size and black mane appears recently with new scars after a territorial battle to protect what he have. He is part of two brothers known as the Polentswa males.

Kgalagadi, South Africa.
Photographer Credit: @bornmannick

6 users Like Cunaguaro's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

Great shot of two massive male lions known as the dominant Manyoni males “Ghost in the front and his brother Charger” during a patrol mission.

Manyoni PGR, South Africa.
Photographer Credit: @mavela_game_lodge @danstevens_wildlife

5 users Like Cunaguaro's post

The Panther Offline

Nice close up shot of a male in the Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya.

Does anyone recognize him by chance?
4 users Like The Panther's post

The Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-17-2022, 03:58 PM by The Panther )

Beautiful shot of Notch. Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya.

4 users Like The Panther's post

BigLion39 Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-18-2022, 06:02 AM by BigLion39 )

@Panther do you have a time and more specific place in the Mara of when this pic was taken? It might be an older pic of one of the current Kisinja males,  Osidai.. maybe.

BigLion39 Offline

@Panther...

Yes it isa (young) pic of Osidai, 1/3 Kisinja males, originally 4 males but Hailey unfortunately was killed in a human/wild animal conflict.
1 user Likes BigLion39's post