There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 09:59 PM by Hello )

Old northern pride male (ruled, 2000-2009) , Phinda, SA. Claimed to be 250 kg, plausible! Impressive girth on him!

*This image is copyright of its original author

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76435074@N03/9471611153/

6 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline

Dinokeng male, SA

7 users Like Hello's post

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

Lion cubs play whack-a-mole with geese:

Quote:This captivating sighting was filmed on the Dulini Private Game Reserve in the Sabi Sands Greater Kruger. Jem Harris shared this incredible sighting with LatestSightings.com where he witnessed lions hunting geese in the mud!

Lions are not too fond of getting into the water. They can swim, but from most experiences, getting wet is not their favorite thing to do.

But of course, when food, or rather a snack, in this case, is involved - they do not mind getting their paws dirty. Literally. 

At first, these lions are curious about the strange creatures floating in the water. But when they soon realize this could easily be a good snack, they start attempting to get to the Egyptian geese.

At first, it is not too much fun, as they are unsure of how deep the mud could be, but one eventually risks it and gets to the goose. 
3 users Like LandSeaLion's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2023, 04:15 PM by Hello )

(02-02-2022, 05:18 AM)SpinoRex Wrote: 2 monstrous males captured in the Ngorongoro Crater. The left one is absolutely gigantic... look at that body thickness.

I believe its Serengeti, Serengeti lions in general have square, rectangle heads, while craters have long, horse like heads, oblong with longer muzzle in general. I think those males are C boy and Hildur. Sons of C boy? below.

They seemed average to me 180-190 kgs , if not slightly bigger, 200 kgs, upper average.
3 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-05-2023, 04:16 PM by Hello )

Crater, long muzzled. I haven't seen a single crater lion on pics having shorter muzzle, every lion I've seen had black manes covering the shoulders and had no change in phenotype. Similar type of body, uniform exhibited by every lion and lionesses, Inbreeding I believe, much more similar to Asiatic lions, no change in phenotype.

Serengeti, short muzzled, square muzzle.

captive
east Africans, square muzzled

Simba, 375 kg, claimed to be caught from Serengeti.

Aslan, 250+ kg
4 users Like Hello's post

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 08:37 PM by Hello )

Asiatic with a crater like head.

LandSeaLion Offline
Banned

(04-16-2022, 08:36 PM)Hello Wrote: Asiatic with a crater like head.

What a fascinating lion…his head and nose almost look cartoonish. If I had drawn a lion like this while attempting to make a realistic portrait, I’d probably have thought I’d made an error!
2 users Like LandSeaLion's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

A great story about Pretty Boy from the Sohebele coalition, true Kings of Timbavati

3 users Like Leo Aslan's post

India Hello Offline

Crater
3 users Like Hello's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

2 last sons of the famous Mapogo bloodline. A mystery in itself.

2 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Italy Gabriele Offline
( This post was last modified: 05-10-2022, 12:18 AM by Gabriele )

Beautiful male black hairy belly
3 users Like Gabriele's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

credit:??
2 users Like Gabriele's post

India Hello Offline

Notch. Masai Mara, Kenya.

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

For me the biggest lions in Africa, powerful, handsome and breathtaking. New coalitions are entering the Ngorongoro Crater, the 5 Lake Quintet males are under attack. How long will they rule and survive?

8 users Like Leo Aslan's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

Tenderness
5 users Like Gabriele's post