There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lion pictures and videos

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Paultje: " Brothers ! "

4 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Lucien Beaumont: " Survival of the fittest. "

Of course, rules of etiquette don't exist at all when the lions are eating together a freshly killed prey. Nevertheless here, an adult male, the leader - or one of the leaders - of the pride, is eating with young cubs, all are seemingly hungry. But the male doesn't beat them with its paws, for example he could effortlessly prevent the cub close to him gleaning some pieces of flesh just under his mouth. Of course the "gif video" is very short, we cannot clearly state that.

Perhaps too, the male has repeled the females just before starting to eat and allowed the cubs to eat with him.

What do you think about ?
6 users Like Spalea's post

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

Real-life versions of Mufasa & Scar, at Masai Mara, Kenya:

4 users Like BorneanTiger's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

King of the Beasts. 

I have posted this incident before, but I put it here again because this is one of those cases why it´s easy to understand why lion is called as King of the Beasts. I can´t imagine any other predatory (and not many herbivorous either) animal able to be so nonchalant while eating surrounded by crocodiles. And these crocs aren´t small ones. Confidence and even kind of arrogance which male lions so often show is time to time just astonishing. Often alone enough to keep competitors in line and not pushing their luck too far. Seeing an animal just lying there and eating in situation like this with crocodiles, quite something.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Some video footage of this incident.

6 users Like Shadow's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-02-2020, 07:17 PM)Shadow Wrote: King of the Beasts. 

I have posted this incident before, but I put it here again because this is one of those cases why it´s easy to understand why lion is called as King of the Beasts. I can´t imagine any other predatory (and not many herbivorous either) animal able to be so nonchalant while eating surrounded by crocodiles. And these crocs aren´t small ones. Confidence and even kind of arrogance which male lions so often show is time to time just astonishing. Often alone enough to keep competitors in line and not pushing their luck too far. Seeing an animal just lying there and eating in situation like this with crocodiles, quite something.

Some video footage of this incident.

Wow, what an amazing video of such an incredible interaction. The crocs certainly appear to be showing some respect (the ones lying behind the lions), while the only recognition the lions give to them is when one slaps a croc from getting over zealous. Absolutely incredible video @Shadow !
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Wildanimal Lover

@Shadow  @BA0701

About #1805: quite amazing video ! But I remember having read an interpretation of this kind of interaction between lions and crocodiles. The crocs are unable to dismember and carve a freshly killed prey as the lions do (into the water several crocs hold the prey and twirl around themselves in order to dismember it, impossible action on the ground). Of course I don't know if it's really the case (a freshly killed prey), but if it's true, and if the lions are in a sharing mood, thus why not ?
2 users Like Spalea's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(11-03-2020, 01:53 AM)Spalea Wrote: @Shadow  @BA0701

About #1805: quite amazing video ! But I remember having read an interpretation of this kind of interaction between lions and crocodiles. The crocs are unable to dismember and carve a freshly killed prey as the lions do (into the water several crocs hold the prey and twirl around themselves in order to dismember it, impossible action on the ground). Of course I don't know if it's really the case (a freshly killed prey), but if it's true, and if the lions are in a sharing mood, thus why not ?

As I wrote I shared this incident because of the way how nonchalantly these lions eat while crocodiles are there all around them. I don´t now quite understand what the things you wrote have to do with it, because no matter what crocodiles can or can´t do on land or in water, this kind of view is rare. 

While some animals sometimes can eat carcass at same time with crocodiles, surrounded like this and not even seemingly paying attention to crocodiles is what makes it impressive for me. That male lion acts almost like those crocodiles would be some impalas etc. totally meaningless to lions. Sharing mood is one thing, but acting like no danger at all is another. I find it hard to imagine some other predatory animal in the middle of crocodiles and act with that level of confidence and even "arrogance". That was my point.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Wildanimal Lover

(11-03-2020, 02:17 AM)Shadow Wrote:

As I wrote I shared this incident because of the way how nonchalantly these lions eat while crocodiles are there all around them. I don´t now quite understand what the things you wrote have to do with it, because no matter what crocodiles can or can´t do on land or in water, this kind of view is rare. 

While some animals sometimes can eat carcass at same time with crocodiles, surrounded like this and not even seemingly paying attention to crocodiles is what makes it impressive for me. That male lion acts almost like those crocodiles would be some impalas etc. totally meaningless to lions. Sharing mood is one thing, but acting like no danger at all is another. I find it hard to imagine some other predatory animal in the middle of crocodiles and act with that level of confidence and even "arrogance". That was my point.

Of course the lions' behaviour is amazing... Do I say the contrary ? I just told that it isn't the first time that lions and crocs are sharing a feast, and a scientific observer interpreted so this interaction. If the prey is enough big and could be shared by several big predators, amazing feats can happen.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(11-03-2020, 02:35 AM)Spalea Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 02:17 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Of course the lions' behaviour is amazing... Do I say the contrary ? I just told that it isn't the first time that lions and crocs are sharing a feast, and a scientific observer interpreted so this interaction. If the prey is enough big and could be shared by several big predators, amazing feats can happen.

I asked a bit more because I didn´t quite get your point and what you tried to say.

Sharing some carcass isn´t a new thing and I didn´t post this because of it. But if you find this kind of situation, some other predatory animal eating a carcass surrounded by crocodiles like in this case and acting as calmly as these lions it is something else. You can think about some other predator(s) badly outnumbered by equal or even bigger competitors and what it usually looks like. A lot of tension and nervous movements.

Then comparing it to what can be seen on this video. I find this situation extraordinary because of the way animals act, not because sharing carcass would be something never seen before.

The Panther Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2020, 04:53 PM by The Panther )

Male on the prowl in Ngorongoro Crater, in my native Tanzania.

3 users Like The Panther's post

The Panther Offline

Two males in Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda.

5 users Like The Panther's post

The Panther Offline

Male lion in the Busanga plains, Zambia.

7 users Like The Panther's post

The Panther Offline

Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania.

4 users Like The Panther's post

United States Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-01-2020, 06:11 PM by Cath2020 )

Beautiful Japanese production of the harrowing experience of 5 newborn lion cubs in the Maasai Mara.

Shows some interesting behaviors of the mom.

I didn't know about elephants making lion cubs 'smelly'.

Note: Part II is suddenly not available....right after I viewed it myself!    

Found it!  Another link I think :))

4 users Like Cath2020's post