There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Leopard Predation Thread

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Leopard predation on honey badger.

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Leopard trying to sneak behind a hippo to get her calf.

Leopard eating hippo calf prey before it's stolen by lions.

1 user Likes Shir Babr's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Leopard catching catfish in Savuti.

*This image is copyright of its original author
1 user Likes Shir Babr's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Pelican prey.

Hyrax.

Wildcat and black-backed jackal.

Impala and cheetah.

Rock python.

Monitor.

Scrub hare.

3 users Like Shir Babr's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Leopard hunting and being kicked by steenbok in the process.

2 users Like Shir Babr's post

Russian Federation AlexE Offline
Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2018, 11:30 PM by Rishi )

Indian male leopard killed a big boar.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-22-2018, 02:29 AM by Pckts )

(07-22-2018, 02:08 AM)AlexE Wrote: Indian male leopard killed a big boar (Wild boar more dangerous prey than hyena. Wild boar can kill a leopard)

Where do you get this from?
Wild boar are no where near as dangerous as a Hyena, at least the Indian Variety.
They are mostly smaller in size outside of the the really large males which only make up a very small portion of the total population and all the Hyena I saw definitely out sized the boar I saw except for the really large males I mentioned, not even taking into account the weapons on a Hyena are made for killing while Boar weapons are made for defending.

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2018, 11:34 PM by Rishi )

(07-22-2018, 02:20 AM)Pckts Wrote: Where do you get this from?
Wild boar are no where near as dangerous as a Hyena, at least the Indian Variety.
They are mostly smaller in size outside of the the really large males which only make up a very small portion of the total population and all the Hyena I saw definitely out sized the boar I saw except for the really large males I mentioned, not even taking into account the weapons on a Hyena are made for killing while Boar weapons are made for defending.

You underestimate the power of boar
Quote:Graphic Content.

http://www.elcotodecaza.com/noticia/caza...ico-180115

The black bear is known to prey on feral hogs of all ages; however, the impact of predation by this bear on feral hog populations is not known. Some researchers have speculated that black bears probably kill few if any feral hogs, especially given that an adult hog would represent a formidable adversary for a black bear. In fact, in the 1920s a feral boar in the Okefenokee Swamp was reported to have killed a black bear in a fight between the two animals. Similar accounts of feral boars killing bears during fights in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas were reported in the 1880s.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/6365...feral-hogs
3 users Like AlexE's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-22-2018, 09:13 PM)AlexE Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 02:20 AM)Pckts Wrote: Where do you get this from?

You underestimate the power of boar

http://www.elcotodecaza.com/noticia/caza...ico-180115

The black bear is known to prey on feral hogs of all ages; however, the impact of predation by this bear on feral hog populations is not known. Some researchers have speculated that black bears probably kill few if any feral hogs, especially given that an adult hog would represent a formidable adversary for a black bear. In fact, in the 1920s a feral boar in the Okefenokee Swamp was reported to have killed a black bear in a fight between the two animals. Similar accounts of feral boars killing bears during fights in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas were reported in the 1880s.

http://articles.extension.org/pages/6365...feral-hogs

Wolf pack vs boar

A couple of things..
Remember, I'm only speaking on Indian Boar, they are not large by any means, very similar in size to Warthog outside of the really large Males that are few and far between which I mentioned.
Second, attacks on humans aren't an advantage for one over the other, Hyena attack Humans as well, they have killed them or caused serious injury, they have also killed villagers dogs and cattle but neither has to do with what is more dangerous towards a leopard or as a prey item which is what we were discussing. 

I'll leave it at this, I've seen both in the wild and I'm fairly confident with my opinion. Like I've stated many times, animals come in all shapes and sizes and most of the time the Boar I saw were not very large, they are fairly skinny and I have little doubt that most of the Hyena I saw would make short work out of them but that certainly isn't the case for all of them, I did see a couple of very large Male Boar but they were off in the distance so I couldn't get a great look at them but from what I saw, they would certainly be a very good match for any sized Hyena if not, they'd possibly be too much.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline

Years ago I read two different accounts of leopard predation, one of a chimpanzee and other of an African forest elephant calf that were dispatched with a chest bite that punctured the lung according to the autopsy of the chimp; I couldn't find the articles, but here are three different cases of leopards employing that technique on warthogs:

Watchlisted Member

3 users Like AlexE's post

Mexico Shir Babr Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-02-2018, 08:27 AM by Shir Babr )

Leopards preying on aardvark and cape porcupine.

Watchlisted Member

Leopard big python

Python is a very dangerous prey

1 user Likes AlexE's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

This is a thread on leopards predation, not a dangerous preys thread. 

So stay on leopards, thanks.

Ngala

Watchlisted Member
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2018, 10:41 PM by AlexE )

(08-05-2018, 05:19 PM)Ngala Wrote: This is a thread on leopards predation, not a dangerous preys thread. 

So stay on leopards, thanks.

Ngala

I'm not interested in what leopard killed a little animal or little/medium sized antelope. I like big and dangerous prey of leopard/ other cat. Not enough good videographers. It's a shame for 2018.