There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake safari at Periyar Tiger Reserve, 2010

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2020, 01:30 PM by Rishi )

Ten years ago, during a family trip of Kerala I visited Periyar Tiger Reserve. 
Due extremely dense vegetation they don't have a car-safari system because sighting chances would be near nil. Tourism is only as a nature trail near the entrance at Thekkady & the famous boat safari at parts of the reservoir on the Periyar river. 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Malabar giant squirrel. 

Lion-tailed Macaques. 

100-150ft high trees. Look massive up close. 

The boat jetty... if any of you ever go there and make sure to only do the afternoon safari from 4pm. Morning safari is much drier. 

First catch was a small gaur herd. There's more in the undergrowth to the left... You may see silhouettes.

Wild pigs on field. (During Monsoon water rises up and reaches up to the tree-line.)

My first ever elephants herd. 

Sambars came in after they moved away.

2nd sambar herd. Much farther away. 

Waterbirds perched on the tree trunks that died after the reservoir was formed. Some are Cormorants, rest I still don't know.

3rd sambar herd. This one came very close, the bost was only 50-70m away. 

4th sambar herd.

A lone bull gaur. Almost sunset by now.

3 users Like Rishi's post

United Kingdom Juzion Offline
New Join

I love your photos. I am pretty sure that you had great time at Periyar Tiger Reserve. I am supposed to sort out my new property in Greece by the end of this month and I plan to go to Tanzania with friends. Never been there and it was my dream for a while.
1 user Likes Juzion's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-08-2020, 08:51 PM)Juzion Wrote: I love your photos. I am pretty sure that you had great time at Periyar Tiger Reserve. I am supposed to sort out my new property in Greece by the end of this month and I plan to go to Tanzania with friends. Never been there and it was my dream for a while.

You'll love Tanzania, which parks are you going to?

United Kingdom Juzion Offline
New Join

(09-08-2020, 10:29 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 08:51 PM)Juzion Wrote: I love your photos. I am pretty sure that you had great time at Periyar Tiger Reserve. I am supposed to sort out my new property in Greece here by the end of this month and I plan to go to Tanzania with friends. Never been there and it was my dream for a while.

I would really love to go to Ngorongoro Crater, I saw many picture of it and I find it really beautiful. Do you recommend any specific which is better to visit?
1 user Likes Juzion's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-09-2020, 02:40 PM)Juzion Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 10:29 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(09-08-2020, 08:51 PM)Juzion Wrote: I love your photos. I am pretty sure that you had great time at Periyar Tiger Reserve. I am supposed to sort out my new property in Greece here by the end of this month and I plan to go to Tanzania with friends. Never been there and it was my dream for a while.

I would really love to go to Ngorongoro Crater, I saw many picture of it and I find it really beautiful. Do you recommend any specific which is better to visit?
You'll love the Crater, its a must.
What I did was Tarangire to the Serengeti then finished off with the crater.
We stopped at Oldapi Gorge *birthplace of man* on the way.
After the safaris we ended at Zanzibar.
To this day it was one of my most memorable experiences of my life.