There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jaguars of Brazil - Dynamics,Lifestyle,Datas,Studies,Reports

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-24-2021, 05:00 AM by Dark Jaguar )

2 males fight for female in Cáceres - North Pantanal

Douglas Trent

''A couple of jaguars is photographed mating in an area of the Paraguay River, in Mato Grosso.''(Photo: Divulgação/Douglas Trent/Projeto Bichos do Pantanal)

*This image is copyright of its original author

''From the middle of the bush, it is possible to see only the head of a jaguar'' (Photo: Divulgação/Douglas Trent/Projeto Bichos do Pantanal).

''In another image, a couple of jaguars can be seen mating'' (Photo: Divulgação/Douglas Trent/Projeto Bichos do Pantanal).

''Record shows two males fighting to conquer a female specimen'' (Photo: Divulgação/Douglas Trent/Projeto Bichos do Pantanal).

''While the males ''yell'' at each other throwing paw swipes at one another, the female seems not to care about the dispute'' (Photo: Divulgação/Douglas Trent/Projeto Bichos do Pantanal).

''Jaguar swims in the Paraguay River and goes towards the vegetation area'' (Photo: Divulgação/Douglas Trent/Projeto Bichos do Pantanal).

''Photographer Douglas Trent's click shows a jaguar eating a Sucuri snake (anaconda)'' (Photo: Divulgação/Douglas Trent/Projeto Bichos do Pantanal).

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Really sad news, Peter Crawshaw has passed away due to complications from Covid.

RIP Legend
4 users Like Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

That's very sad news, I'll never forget everything I had learned from him.

He'll never be forgotten.

RIP LEGEND
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

This is extremely sad, I knew he was in very bad shape but was hoping he'd bounce back. Another legend in jaguar conservation has been lost after Panthera founder Alan Rabinowitz. May he RIP and we couldn't be more grateful for the mentoring he provided to us here.
4 users Like Balam's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 03:54 AM by peter )

(04-25-2021, 08:02 PM)Pckts Wrote: Really sad news, Peter Crawshaw has passed away due to complications from Covid.

RIP Legend

Another victim of the virus. Poor man. 

Thanks for the info, PC. We didn't know. 

Can you, Dark Jaguar, tell his collegues and friends that his knowledge about jaguars is much appreciated by our members? Tell them he opened many doors we were not even aware of. The world needs people like Peter Cranshaw. He will be badly missed.  

Our thoughts are with his family and his friends.
5 users Like peter's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 07:13 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Great words @peter . His legendary legacy he had left will never be forgotten and shall be inspiration for many. As I was once talking about measurements of jaguars with him I told him about our passion on wild animals in the forum as I also told him twice that there are people from all over the world in the forum sharing the same passion and infos and he said its good to see the interest of us on wild animals in the forum.

I am gonna drop here an interview of Crawshaw done between 1-2 decades ago probably in around 2006.

BY LUIS PATRIANI

With Peter Crawshaw

https://lpatriani.files.wordpress.com/20...-terra.pdf

O Amigo das Onças (The friend of the Jaguars)

''After 30 years of dedication to the preservation of the largest feline in the Americas, Peter Crawshaw has some good news for you: the jaguar population has increased again in Brazil.

The man is a beast. Nobody in Brazil knows more about pumas and specially jaguars than Peter Crawshaw. Despite his gringo name, this Paulista man from São Vicente has dedicated 30 of his 55 years of age to the study of the largest Brazilian feline and third in the world behind only the tiger and the lion. Some say that he even looks like a jaguar, such is his passion for the bush and for field work. Together with his master, German George Schaller, Peter introduced telemetry into the study of animals monitoring their movements with the help of radio transmitters installed in collars. In three decades of chasing - in the best sense - jaguars, the researcher has been through suffocations worthy of adventure movies. On another occasion he was attacked by a jaguar escaping with abrasions. But he has no grudge about his attacker. "She was provoked and reacted. That's all" he minimized.''

When did your interest in jaguars begin?

Peter Crawshaw - ''It goes back to when I was a kid in Rio Grande do Sul, when I went out with my father to hunt marsh harrier bird. When I was 15, I read everything I could find about hunting and adventures in the woods. The highlight of the emotion was the chases made by the hounds or an unexpected encounter with the beast. That really excited me and I became interested in the preservation of these wild animals. I decided to study biology.''

How was your first professional job?

Peter Crawshaw - ''I was in my last year of college in 1977 when I learned that the German researcher George Schaller was coming to Brazil to study jaguars in the Pantanal. After all, it was unlikely that a world biology icon would pay attention to a simple student. I couldn't believe when he answered me with an invitation to meet him in Brasilia and on top of that, to be his assistant and accompany him in the fieldwork.''

What was the importance of working with George Schaller for the feline research in Brazil?

Peter Crawshaw - '' For me, his legacy was the love for field work and respect for animals. He used to say that we should not regard biology as a profession but as a religion. His importance for Brazilian research is undeniable. He introduced telemetry in the country and from this we were able to discover many things about the habits of the jaguar. Before that, the information was only in the book by Toni Almeida, a Brazilian hunter who killed jaguars and then wrote down information such as their weight, size and stomach contents.''

How long did the project last?

Peter Crawshaw -
''George stayed a little over a year in Brazil. He could not stand the pressure from the ranch manager in Acurizal (MS) who was afraid that the area would become a reserve and incited the ranchers to kill the three jaguars that were being monitored. All of them died and George felt responsible. He went to China to study giant pandas. I continued the work with the American biologist Howard Quigley, but in the Miranda region. In the end, in 1984, we had in our hands the largest study on jaguars in the region.''

What did you discover in practice at the end of the work?

Peter Crawshaw - ''We learned for example that jaguars cover territories of 100 square kilometers. Unlike other cats they have diurnal habits and their diet is individualized, that is, an inheritance brought from their parents.''

At that time, how was the situation of the jaguar in the Pantanal?

Peter Crawshaw - ''It was practically extinct. After 30 years of drought and increase of pastures it was very difficult to find any. The ranchers killed them indiscriminately to preserve the cattle even before there was any attack. There were only considerable groups of jaguars in the regions of Acurizal, Miranda and Porto Jofre, on the banks of the São Lourenço river. ''

Is the reduction of territory and consequent lack of food a bigger threat than predatory hunting?

Peter Crawshaw - ''No, hunting is still the biggest threat. This became very clear during the five years that I spent researching jaguars in the Iguaçu National Park where the vegetation cover was large and stabilized.''

You went back to the Pantanal and recently finished a study to evaluate jaguar populations in the region. What is your conclusion?

Peter Crawshaw -
''The number of jaguars has grown again. We still don't have consolidated figures but we could see the increase from the sightings of animals, footprints and photos taken by camera traps, but their proliferation was not due to the awareness of hunters which is worrying. In fact, the animals have benefited from the great floods that have inundated three quarters of the Pantanal pastures in the last 30 years compromising farming and cattle raising in the region.''

So the risk of extinction has not been averted?

Peter Crawshaw
- ''Not yet and that is my fear. We cannot go back to the dramatic situation of the 1970s. Everything indicates that the flood cycle is over and now a dry period has begun again. And the pastures will return to the region, taking over space.''

How can we prevent ranchers from hunting jaguars to protect their cattle?

Peter Crawshaw - ''We've started a project in the region of Corumbá to show ranchers a series of measures to make it harder for the jaguars to get access to the cattle, in addition to evaluating the behavior of the animals when faced with these containment measures. For example: electric fences, guard dogs, lighting, night grazing, not leaving the pasture near the edge of the woods and driving calf cows close to the headquarters. There is no magic formula but specific solutions for each case. The most important thing is to show the owners that there are creative solutions to the problem, not just complaining about the attacks and killing the jaguars.''

What about the idea of compensating farmers who lost their cattle?

Peter Crawshaw -
''Unfortunately, it didn't advance. This would require a federal fund to pay these indemnities but the government didn't want to finance it. Besides, the idea would only reward the attacks done by the jaguars and not those committed by pumas which are more numerous and aggressive.''

Are the ranchers who have opened their properties to ecological tourism realizing that jaguars can also be good business?

Peter Crawshaw -
''In fact, some have already realized that the eventual damage that jaguars cause to livestock is offset by the attraction that they exert on guests interested in photographic safari.''

What is the main difference between jaguars and pumas?

Peter Crawshaw - ''Despite being smaller, the puma is responsible for the vast majority of unprovoked attacks. They are also more flexible and can survive in forest fragments which is not the case with the jaguar which needs large areas. The pumas have even learned to use eucalyptus forests (where diversity is low) to hunt and serve as a corridor between small patches of forest.''

How are the cats captured and monitored?

Peter Crawshaw - ''We start by tracking the signals emitted by the radio antenna installed on the collar of one of the jaguars belonging to the research group. Then we chase it by boat or on horseback. Once located, we capture the jaguar using traps or dogs to corner them usually high up in the trees. Then we shoot anesthetics with a rifle to make it sleep so we can examine it.''

In these 30 years, have you ever suffered any kind of attack?

Peter Crawshaw -
''I was attacked only once and in a completely unusual situation. I had to interpose myself between a jaguar that I was monitoring and a woman who was photographing us inappropriately in a restricted area. The jaguar got annoyed with the flash from the camera and went after her, but luckily the animal who had just woken up from sedation slipped and gave me time to intervene. I only got a bite on my index finger and a few scratches but luckily I managed to run back to the car and escaped from it. But I want to make one thing very clear: we must not think that jaguars go around out there attacking people. In this case she was provoked and reacted.''

The attack case of his last answer right above that I have once posted here, the jaguar was indeed CG atlantic forest female from Iguaçú Parque as I was suspecting, it was confirmed by Sandra Cavalcanti who was part of that capture campaign with Crawshaw, she was near the area in the moment of the conflict as she also described the case. About the name she said CG stands for ''Curta e Grossa'' which is a slang we use here in Brazil to say one is kinda like ''straight to the point on a rough/brute way''.

Anyways its very interesting how Dr.Crawshaw mentions the terrible times it was for jaguars in the 70's.

Lastly I am gonna repeat it here the same I just mentioned in the Modern Weights thread that Peter Crawshaw was finishing writing his book and in December last year he finished the last chapter of the creative write and there was only one chapter left to be finished but I don't know if he finished it or if it will get published but I am looking forward in case it does.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-29-2021, 07:51 AM by Balam )

Edu Fragoso had a chat today where he discussed the data on ecology Onçafari has gathered throughout the years and some really interesting insight was shared.
As discussed previously by me, jaguars are not solitary cats. Here's a map showing the spatial overlapping of jaguars of both sexes throughout Caiman:

Further, Edu showed how big carcasses that supply large amounts of food (e.g. cattle, horses), allow for jaguars who oftentimes are unrelated to share the same carcass without a problem. So much so that one time he witnessed 5 different unrelated males at one carcass at the time and two females, so 7 jaguars in total in one single area. No other cat other than lions congregate together in this way (albeit I've shared before footage of cougars in Patagonia congregating very similarly around a kill before, see the South American cougar thread), though it is more common to see related jaguars who come from one specific mother lineage sharing kills and interacting with each other:

The high amount of prey availability in the Pantanal likely allows these jaguars to increase their level of tolerance for each other in ways that would not be possible in less prey-dense areas such as the Cerrado where IOP data shows a lesser degree of spatial overlap.

One interesting phenomenon witnessed by the Onçafari team involved the long clusters of time that Natureza would spend in one area. This proved to be her nesting place when she had her cubs Felino and Felina, and the most interesting thing is that the team was obvious of Felino's existence for weeks because Natureza created two dens where she kept her two cubs separated, probably wanting to lower the risk of losing both of them at the same time when they were young.

In terms of intraspecific aggression, these were the number of fights that have been able to register at Caiman, surprisingly females fought 4 times more often with each other than males did between them. In 100% of times females fought with each other the presence of cubs was registered (see Fera vs Gatuna and her cub Vitor), which likely suggests a level of high protection when their cubs are in the presence of an unrelated adult:

Here's a register of Nusa showing her dominance over the smaller female Isa. Isa wandered off her territory into Nusa's who at the time had Juju as a cub, in order to avoid a full-on battle Nusa opted for "flexing" her size in front of Isa to let her know she was the boss in the area and to keep her distance:

In the case of malo-to-male fights, in 100% of the cases females were present in the area, meaning that the fights between them are triggered by the access to females in contrast to females fighting to protect their cubs.

Prey preferences of jaguars at Caiman (free-roaming animals only), unsurprisingly caiman was overwhelmingly selected, feral hog was selected over collared peccary and cervids:

There was much more information shared but these were the highlights for me. The full webinar can be accessed here:

2 users Like Balam's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

That is one interesting addition to the agglomeration of jaguars, in areas with high population density of jaguars these encounters occurs with the simple presence of a carcass, as it was shown on Balam's post. these moments are also some of the ones infanticides happens by female jaguars in areas of high populated density jaguar indivuals.

That interaction between Nusa and Fera is also included in my post 306#, it was a good one as the possibility of risks over young Juju was high so Nusa in this moment reminding her fearsome big mom Teorema decided to not take chances and drove Fera away as she was still nearby showing signs of possible anger or frustration as David Higgs described Fera after the interaction grabbing and ripping down branches from overhead.

Not that it happens all the time but IMO nowadays these are the interactions that gotta be observed and discussed the most as a Priority of behavior study of the species and science is already well aware of these so extracting and registering the maximum from these interactions so we can understand a bit more about jaguars social behaviors and as I said a while ago, installing cameras Africam-Like would be really good for this but it gotta be installed upwards uptrees in case of intra or inter specific interactions they can register it by capturing the whole ''arena/stage scenario'' thing that we can't do with camera traps installed downwards close to the ground with the same vision/angle quality and one of the ideal areas they gotta choose I'd say would be  specific places where main preys resides more often.

One good example of these cameras is the register of a jaguar being chased by a group of pecaries in the Chaco. We need more of that.

But one single ''moveable/rotates'' camera like that is way too expensive here so I get it very well in case the idea (if they thought of it) hasn't been put on the works if it was for this reason.

Anyways I am gonna watch this live video in order to get informations about Maned Wolves and their behaviors, it looks like in the video there are some valuable infos about them as well.

Jaguar Enthusiast

NEWS ON CRAWSHAW'S BOOK

Peter Crawshaw managed to finish his book and it will be published soon.

On a special edition homage in memory of Peter Crawshaw of the live brazilian radio podcast Desabraçando: that talks about ecology, wild animals and conservation that receives special guests, wildanimals biologists and experts.

It was an amazing tribute with special written and voice messages for Crawshaw by experts from all over the world such as K. Ullas Karanth, Rafael Hoogesteijn, Agustín Paviolo, George Schaller, Howard Quigley and others as well as obviously messages by the tons of brazilian biologists and experts who are the heirs of Crawshaw.

Crawshaw was really worried he wouldn't finish his book but thankfully he did and Rogério Cunha de Paula said in the radio podcast that the book is a massive encyclopedia and it will be published soon.

Mwarcaar Offline

Jaguar coalition ?

3 users Like Mwarcaar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Young Juru vs Hollyfield

Year: August 2016

Sue Roehl

Confrontation between Two Male Jaguars

''This incident took place along the shore of the Cuiabá River. The young male jaguar in the shadows was still trying to seek out his own territory when he crossed paths with the older male. They tussled in the undergrowth for about five minutes. The older male finally decided to let the younger one be and came out of the undergrowth closer to the shore as you see him in this image. Eventually the older male left and so did the younger male. It was rather unfortunate that I did not actually see the confrontation clearly in the undergrowth but saw movement and heard growling sounds. This was the first time I've seen two male jaguars engaged in any sort of combat even if the event was rather brief. ''

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast

Cáceres - Pantanal - MT

Douglas Trent

July 2020

''This old jaguar seems to have cataracts which certainly reduce his ability to hunt, to survive. His right eye is reflecting the natural light. This could well be the last time we see this individual.''

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

This is an excellent thread by the author of a peer-reviewed paper that studied the dynamics of jaguars in Taiama and more specifically their reliance and fish as one of their main prey. Jaguars from this area feed almost entirely on fish and caiman, almost entirely ignoring mammalian prey like capybara or marsh deer.

Jaguars as social creatures were solidified in this study as well

3 users Like Balam's post