There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Jaguar swimming under water

United States Siegfried Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

I've seen videos of tigers underwater, but this is the first video of a jaguar that I've seen.
https://www.facebook.com/warinthorn.eamp...=2&theater

4 users Like Siegfried's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

What a fantastic video, Jaguars are extremely good swimmers for sure. I guess better than tiger. TFS

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-30-2015, 10:08 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: What a fantastic video, Jaguars are extremely good swimmers for sure. I guess better than tiger. TFS

Why do you say this?

Both tigers and jaguars have partially webbed toes, do they not?
I have seen both swim under water and for long distances. I don't think their is a top speed tested between the two of them, but tigers have swam extremely long distances as I'm sure jaguars have as well.

3 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

May be you are true. I have also seen video of tigers swimming and now I see this, So my limited brain ([img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) analyze that jaguars swims better. I don't have theory but its my perception from the 2 videos. Apart from it I also recall videos in which jaguars kills caiman inside river (not on land), And very effectively. Caiman are not an easy prey and catching them inside their home is very impressive.
2 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-30-2015, 11:24 PM)'sanjay' Wrote: May be you are true. I have also seen video of tigers swimming and now I see this, So my limited brain ([img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]) analyze that jaguars swims better. I don't have theory but its my perception from the 2 videos. Apart from it I also recall videos in which jaguars kills caiman inside river (not on land), And very effectively. Caiman are not an easy prey and catching them inside their home is very impressive.

I know sumatran tigers have attacked people in boats before as well, it looks like we have no where to hide. [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
It's amazing humans evolved to this point being so heavily outmatched by predators.

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

wow. I´m impressed for how long the jaguar hold his breathe.

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 05-01-2015, 08:38 PM by GuateGojira )

(04-30-2015, 10:15 PM)'Pckts' Wrote:
(04-30-2015, 10:08 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: What a fantastic video, Jaguars are extremely good swimmers for sure. I guess better than tiger. TFS

Why do you say this?

I have seen both swim under water and for long distances. I don't think their is a top speed tested between the two of them, but tigers have swam extremely long distances as I'm sure jaguars have as well.

I agree with @Pckts, both cats are great swimmers.

Both evolved in the jungle and incredible, both have similar life stiles and hunting techniques. Sadly, while the social life of the tiger is well know in many parts (mostly Nepal and Russia), the social life of jaguars is still not well understood.

There are several stories of tigers killing people in the Sundarbans, when they are in they boats and in the deepest part of the water. That is why I think that the scene in "The life of Pi", where the tiger is unable to climb to the boat, is inaccurate.

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Just look at how confident he is! Amazing.. Tfs sieg.

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

First time I see such a video... Truly amazing ! Under the water this jaguar does really all what it wants to do...

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-17-2018, 06:20 PM by Rishi )

(04-30-2015, 06:27 AM)Siegfried Wrote: I've seen videos of tigers underwater, but this is the first video of a jaguar that I've seen.
https://www.facebook.com/warinthorn.eamp...=2&theater

I'm linking your video...

1 user Likes Rishi's post

LonePredator Offline

(05-01-2015, 08:36 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
Pckts\ dateline='\'1430412302' Wrote:
sanjay\ dateline='\'1430368683' Wrote: What a fantastic video, Jaguars are extremely good swimmers for sure. I guess better than tiger. TFS

Why do you say this?

Both evolved in the jungle and incredible, both have similar life stiles and hunting techniques. Sadly, while the social life of the tiger is well know in many parts (mostly Nepal and Russia), the social life of jaguars is still not well understood.

There are several stories of tigers killing people in the Sundarbans, when they are in they boats and in the deepest part of the water. That is why I think that the scene in "The life of Pi", where the tiger is unable to climb to the boat, is inaccurate.

Do Jaguars also have webbed feet?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-14-2022, 10:48 AM)LonePredator Wrote:
(05-01-2015, 08:36 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
Pckts\ dateline='\'1430412302' Wrote:
sanjay\ dateline='\'1430368683' Wrote: What a fantastic video, Jaguars are extremely good swimmers for sure. I guess better than tiger. TFS

Why do you say this?

Do Jaguars also have webbed feet?