There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Jaguar Predation

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Jaguar Kills Caiman in "Spectacular" Attack:
On August 25, photographer Paul Donahue got a call: A large male jaguar had been spotted on the hunt in central Brazil's Tres Irmãos River. Here is the event:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Source of the pictures and the full article from Nat Geo here: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...00x450.jpg

There is no doubt about the power of the great jaguar, the apex and most formidable predator in all America.

4 users Like GuateGojira's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

New video - Jaguar caught and kill Crocodile (Caiman)

A DEADLY jaguar stalks along a riverbank with its sight set on a caiman. The incredible footage was captured in Pantanal wetlands in Brazil in September, 2013, by Andrew Melhuish, Berkshire.

Videographer / Director: Andrew Melhuish
Producer: Tom Midlane
Editor: Joshua Douglas / Jack Stevens

All rights and credits belong to Barcroft TV

3 users Like sanjay's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

A really short video of a Jaguar, eating a Tapir. From here, it's in spanish: Misiones Online
Basically, it says that concerned over the care of the jaguars in Misiones(it's a province right in the north of Argentina) because of several deaths that happened in road accidents, the rangers were excited to see the results of one of the cameras they put in the Parque Nacional Iguazú, near an internal road and a few kilometres from the Iguazú Falls.
They put the cam tuesday noon and it was there until wednesday in the afternoon and "when we saw that part we were very excited because it's a beautiful specimen, and adult male in excellent condition, of a 100 kg".
They also said "you can see that the male hunted a tapir of good size and started to eat it near the camera".
"The idea of putting cameras inside the Park is precisely to capture the movement of the animals so we are able to intensify the protection for the different species".

Here is the video:

Sorry for the lame translation, but it's basically what the article says and those of you who don't speak spanish can understand it. 
It's amazing to see Argentinian Jaguars, see them in excellent condition and hopefully the can be better protected.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

France vizions Offline
Lion Enthusiast

5 users Like vizions's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Hey @vizions , How are you ? It's long time to see you again
We are missing your contribution in lion section, You have some awesome posts and currently it is going very well, I hope you will add your information there soon
1 user Likes sanjay's post

France vizions Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Hello @sanjay, i'm fine, thanks.
I'm passing from time to time to read the new posts but i don't have much time to comment at the moment.
3 users Like vizions's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 11-27-2015, 01:00 PM by sanjay )

Got this new amazing video of Jaguar killing a caiman from facebook, I am surprised by seeing how efficiently and quickly jaguar kills caiman. Though caiman are deadly predator but they treat them like fish. I thing Jaguar are only predator which include other predator in his regular diet
Note: if you dont see playing button, then just click on it, it will start playing video. this video is inserted from facebook so it has some problem

5 users Like sanjay's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

It's a great video Sanjay. I'm always amazed at how easy it seems for them to take on such a dangerous competitor as a caiman.

Guate, do you understand portuguese? I know some people here that say they somewhat understand what they say, but for me, yeah I speak spanish but I never got around it. I just don't get what they're saying Grin
Anyway thanks for clarifying it.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Yes, I understand it, but that is because Spanish is my native language and these two (Spanish and Portuguese) are very similar (just like with the Italian), so is somewhat easy for me to understand them. Wink
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

chaos Offline
wildlife enthusiast

They're quite skilled, with a specialized technique tackling caiman. Very impressive. Although, large black caiman are capable
of turning the table on them.
2 users Like chaos's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding
( This post was last modified: 12-18-2015, 11:16 PM by Sully )

Any pics vids or data on jaguar predation.

4 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/~w3bio/bio464...ntanal.pdf
2 users Like Sully's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

3 users Like Pckts's post

Ecology & Rewilding

The most famous Jag attack, an amazing capture that one.
2 users Like Sully's post

Ecology & Rewilding

3 users Like Sully's post