There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Jaguar Predation

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-16-2020, 02:41 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Onçafari    https://oncafari.org/2013/08/01/jaguars-fight-over-kill-portuguese/

Year: 2013

Written and photographed by Adam Bannister

Pantanal jaguars fighting over carcass.

A female jaguar killed a cattle. She dragged it into the bush to get it a little more hidden. But she didn't drag it enough into the woods and in a few hours hundreds of vultures were already delighting and relishing the carcass. A message had been blown up in the air that fresh meat was available.

This female is known to us as Teorema. She is one of the jaguars studied and has a collar with VHF, GPS and satellite transmission, which allows us to know her territory besides several other information that will be important in the conservation of her species. These animals are very little known and these informations are essential.

Following the VHF signal we realized that the Teorema was there. It got dark. We stayed in the car about 50 meters from the carcass and waited. It's a game of patience!
Fifteen minutes later we heard a movement near the dead cattle. As we light up the carcass we saw a jaguar feeding on it. With one hand I light up the carcass and with the other I held the binoculars.

That jaguar had no collar!

I thought I was seeing it wrong and once again I looked with the binoculars. Again I saw that the jaguar that was feeding had no collar. I took the VHF receiver and pointed it at the carcass. It accused the Teorema's signal. I was very surprised! I took a good look at the jaguar's spots and rosettes and as if they were fingerprints I could find out that the feeding jaguar was Garoa female, Chuva's cub.

young Garoa female starts feeding on cattle carcass.

*This image is copyright of its original author

My heart was beating at thousand times an hour, two unrelated jaguars meters away from each other. Did Teorema know that another jaguar was feeding on her carcass? The answer came instantly. It was so fast that I didn't have time to get my camera. Teorema exploded from the woods towards Garoa. At an unbelievable speed!

I heard more than I saw... growlings and roars... Garoa had no chance. She's much smaller and younger than her opponent. Her only option was to accept the defeat. She did it quickly. She turned her belly up with her back to the ground with her paws up and her chest exposed, she was submissive. Teorema was smoking through her mouth out of anger, with her canines showing and ready to attack. But felines usually avoid physical confrontation and a few growls and it was enough for Teorema to regain her carcass.

She calmly turned and went to feed…

But it didn't end there... A group of white-lipped peccaries curious about the commotion, came to investigate what was happening. Garoa calmly got up, cleaned up and she started to show interest in the white-lipped peccaries. She ran and hunted down a huge female white-lipped pecari 100 metres from where Teorema was feeding.  The noise of that hunt was very impressive.  But Teorema didn't even seem to hear it, she continued eating her carcass quietly.

Here you can see Teorema a large female feeding.

The next day, images from a photographic trap showed us that 2 hours later, Teorema walked away. Only 10min passed, Garoa appeared and also fed on the cattle carcass. For some reason she had left her pecari kill and came to feed on Teorema's carcass... It's Hard to explain.

What a privilege to have witnessed this interaction between two wild females! Aggressive but at the same time tolerant to each other.

We'll keep finding out more about the mysterious life of jaguars...

BRIEF OFF TOPIC

Note: There's a report of Onçafari from that same year 2013 in April when they caught Teorema to monitor her she weight 95 kilos and she showed physical signs of a possible pregnancy as you can see on her pic (swollen breasts and distended abdomen) Later her pregnancy was confirmed and ALSO later that year in October they caught another female named Troncha with incredible 110 kilos but she also showed signs of pregnancy (swollen breasts and distended abdomen). Onçafari didn't put her weight in their modern website ( only in their old yearly report which the pic of her lied down sedated on truck can't be copied  Upset Disgusting when she was most definitely pregnant. she had a cub named Mion in 2013 ) but they also say in their modern website Troncha is old now but she was always very strong and slender. So now we all can at least assume how big a pregnant pantanal jag might get.

Let's also remember that Garoa the young female in this post is that same female that unfortunately had a very sad end, I posted her weight as an adult a few days ago in the thread https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-modern-weights-and-measurements-of-jaguars?page=8

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-21-2020, 09:37 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Mick vs Caiman

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-30-2020, 04:33 PM by Dark Jaguar )

In case the 2 pics don't show up click here in these 2 links: http://www.faunaparaguay.com/images/Panthera%20onca%20kill%20hans%20hostettler%20procosara%20nov%2006.jpg

http://www.faunaparaguay.com/images/Panthera%20onca%20prey%20dragging.jpg                                                

faunaparaguay

Paraguay Jaguar kill.

Paraguayan Jaguar predation in San Rafael National Park - Paraguay.

Evidence of dragging of prey of a Paraguayan Jag.

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

Jaguar dragging anaconda over 6 meters long: VIDEO

Belgium AfricanLeo10 Offline

The feral pig as prey for jaguars: A reply to the ‘Letter from the Conservation Front Line’ by Verdade et al.

Due to habitat loss, poaching and high hunting pressure on their prey, the jaguar Panthera onca is one of the most endangered top predators in the Americas (Galetti et al., 2013; Treves & Bruskotter, 2014). The population of jaguars in the Brazilian Atlantic Forest was estimated to be less than 250 mature individuals, split into many isolated populations (Haag et al., 2010; Beisiegel, Sana & Moraes, 2012). In addition, most of its prey, white‐lipped peccaries Tayassu pecari and tapirs Tapirus terrestris, are extinct or restricted to only a few areas (Jorge et al., 2013). In their ‘Letter from the Conservation Front Line’ published in Animal Conservation, Verdade et al. (2015) suggested that feral pigs (Sus scrofa) (Pedrosa et al., 2015), could be an alternative prey for jaguars and may help their populations to recover in Atlantic forest.

Although jaguars are known to prey on feral pigs in Pantanal (Cavalcanti & Gese, 2010), we are skeptical that the jaguar's population size would increase and the distribution expand based upon preying on the pigs, and we doubt that jaguars will control the invasion of feral pigs in Brazil. First, feral pigs in the Pantanal are much smaller (body mass ~40 kg, Desbiez et al., 2009) than in the Atlantic forest (body mass ~100 kg, Oliveira, 2012), where they are therefore less likely to be preyed upon by jaguars, unless jaguars selectively prey upon juveniles and piglets. Second, prey's behavior is as important as their body size in determining the predator's success (Hopcraft, Sinclair & Packker, 2005); feral pigs are more aggressive (Graves, 1984) than native species or cattle (Montenegro, 1998; Cavalcanti et al., 2010; Cavalcanti & Gese, 2010). Third, although prey availability is one of the main issues for recovering top predator populations (Galetti et al., 2013; Ripple et al., 2014), jaguars are seen as a significant threat to cattle ranching (Ripple et al., 2014; Tortato et al., 2015). Currently, there are 10 million head of cattle in São Paulo state (Bueno, Martins & Caser, 2015) and they are probably a more logical choice for jaguars (Cavalcanti et al., 2010; Cavalcanti & Gese, 2010). Although cattle are bigger than feral pigs, they are constrained within fenced fields and are less aggressive due to domestication (Cavalcanti et al., 2010). Therefore, any increase in the population of jaguars is likely to negatively impact the attitude of farmers to this predator.

We believe that the most effective means of garnering support for controlling invasive feral pigs is to demonstrate their socioeconomic impacts (Jeschke et al., 2014; Massei et al., 2015). Increasing human hunting pressure on feral pigs may decrease hunting pressure on jaguar's prey (Desbiez et al., 2011), thus indirectly benefiting jaguars.
References
https://zslpublications.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/acv.12312
3 users Like AfricanLeo10's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Onçafari Association

Tapir Skull. This skull is from a big Tapir that was hunted by Fantasma, a powerful Jaguar male that leaves here at Refúgio Ecológico Caiman.

Bigcat Enthusiast

Bigcat Enthusiast

3 users Like Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-07-2020, 03:10 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Southern Pantanal Female Jaguar vs Dogs

Bigcat Enthusiast

Incredible leap from tree onto a Caiman
4 users Like Pckts's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(04-07-2020, 05:44 AM)Pckts Wrote: Incredible leap from tree onto a Caiman
Incredible Jaguar incredible video
2 users Like epaiva's post

United States Sauron Offline
Banned

Hoooly shit. That was incredible. Confused Like

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-08-2020, 04:55 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Perforation/puncture of jaguar's canine into the skull of an adult cow, indicating predation. Photo: Panthera Brasil

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Jaguaress takes down bull Brahman over ten times her size

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Jaguar-cubs-feeding-on-a-bull-killed-by-their-mother-on-a-Pantanal-ranch-Photo-by-Jaguar_fig3_228831792
1 user Likes Balam's post