There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Indian Leopard (Panthera pardus fusca)

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

*This image is copyright of its original author

lalawildlife

Stepping into the limelight

This stunning leopard made us reverse for a couple of kilometres, one evening in the forests of Kabini.
The sun filtering through the leaves just made the whole evening even more special.
I still get goosebumps thinking about the half an hour that we spent with him and I hope I get to see him again soon!
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

[color=var(--primary-text)][color=var(--secondary-text)]Hedayeat Ullah[/color]
[/color]

Manas leopard.

2 users Like Lycaon's post

Incogray Offline

Small indian leopard caught by hands in nepal.
https://youtu.be/FQLBMOuAfTU
1 user Likes Incogray's post

bigcatlover Offline

(11-16-2021, 03:09 PM)Incogray Wrote: Small indian leopard caught by hands in nepal.

Thats got to be a cub !!. i dont think an adult female would be this small, its even smaller than a large male clouded leopard.

Incogray Offline

(11-16-2021, 08:51 PM)bigcatlover Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 03:09 PM)Incogray Wrote: Small indian leopard caught by hands in nepal.

Thats got to be a cub !!. i dont think an adult female would be this small, its even smaller than a large male clouded leopard.

>Yeah definitely a juvenile one.

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

A big male from Aravali Biodiversity Park, India

leopards_of_aravali
2 users Like Luipaard's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

4 users Like Pckts's post

animal enthusiast

bahadur of jhalana
3 users Like Rage2277's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Big male from somewhere near Pune, Maharashtra

Siddharth Damle
4 users Like Luipaard's post

Twico5 Offline

https://www.instagram.com/awildlens/p/CYb8IXRvfC-/?utm_medium=copy_link

Big rarely seen kabini leopard
1 user Likes Twico5's post

Twico5 Offline

Leopards from Hampi’s boulder resort in Karnataka. First time seeing this pictures of this population
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_yy_aoArMm/?utm_medium=copy_link
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5rY28yAx9V/?utm_medium=copy_link
4 users Like Twico5's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-12-2022, 01:26 AM by Ashutosh )

@Twico5 Having grown up about 10 kilometres away from where this was snapped, I can confirm these are very stocky leopards (hell, these rocks are where we played and copied monkeys). They are not your forest leopards as there is very little “forest” in  the surroundings. 

Boulders and elaborate rock formations are their homes. So, these are very much ground dwelling leopards rather than tree dwelling. Also, they are the biggest carnivore around, so they are comfortable on the ground. Big prey is scarce, but the competition is also low. Sloth bears are larger but are more insectivores, whereas Striped Hyenas are more of a scavenger.

As a side note, a huge male attacked one of my father’s friends. The leopard tore a big chunk of his thigh. He shot the leopard dead in self defense. But, still the company that my father and this man worked for had to pay an enormous compensation.
1 user Likes Ashutosh's post

Twico5 Offline

(02-12-2022, 01:23 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: @Twico5 Having grown up about 10 kilometres away from where this was snapped, I can confirm these are very stocky leopards (hell, these rocks are where we played and copied monkeys). They are not your forest leopards as there is very little “forest” in  the surroundings. 

Boulders and elaborate rock formations are their homes. So, these are very much ground dwelling leopards rather than tree dwelling. Also, they are the biggest carnivore around, so they are comfortable on the ground. Big prey is scarce, but the competition is also low. Sloth bears are larger but are more insectivores, whereas Striped Hyenas are more of a scavenger.

As a side note, a huge male attacked one of my father’s friends. The leopard tore a big chunk of his thigh. He shot the leopard dead in self defense. But, still the company that my father and this man worked for had to pay an enormous compensation.
Damn that’s a crazy story. It’s amazing how diverse India is in terms of landscape. I always thought Karnataka was a really forested and hilly state didn’t think there were rocky dry areas there. But ofc leopards can be found in almost any habitat and these boulders and mountain ranges are likely where they resided back when the Indian forests were filled with both lions and tigers. 
1 user Likes Twico5's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

(02-12-2022, 01:23 AM)Ashutosh Wrote: @Twico5 Having grown up about 10 kilometres away from where this was snapped, I can confirm these are very stocky leopards (hell, these rocks are where we played and copied monkeys). They are not your forest leopards as there is very little “forest” in  the surroundings. 

I searched up this area, but could not find any major Leopard prey in this area apart from Pangolins and Birds.

Do the Leopards live on the small animals in these areas?

Anyway, I found some recent cases of men who were killed and eaten by Leopards in this region.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-man-ani...#pid162269

animal enthusiast

(02-13-2022, 03:27 AM)Styx38 Wrote:

I searched up this area, but could not find any major Leopard prey in this area apart from Pangolins and Birds.

Do the Leopards live on the small animals in these areas?

Anyway, I found some recent cases of men who were killed and eaten by Leopards in this region.

https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-man-ani...#pid162269

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city...101861.cms an article from 2017