There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Seeing lions on the move is quite impressive because you get to see how big they really are! It's misleading when they are laying down and I've had a lot of people say that they're not that big until they actually stood up! Credits to Craig Parsons.

Dark Mane

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Chris M. Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2016, 12:32 PM by Chris M. )

(07-03-2016, 12:54 AM)Anthony Wrote: If the Maj had ever met up with a full contigency of Mapogo I doubt they would have been anymore than a brief footnote the history of SS.
In my opinion, I don't think the Mapogos need to have full force to won the confrontation; I believe even 5 vs. 5 they still would have won the battle. Fighting isn't particularly the strong point for the Majingilane. However; the Mapogos are far much more willing to fight. Besides, they were bigger, more experienced and more aggressive. I can imagine if the 5 Magingilanes met 5 Magopos then they would certainly retreat; if they met the Mapogos at full force and stay to fight then there would be good chance that the Majingilanes would have suffer casualty (however I doubt that they would want to stay and fight).

(06-09-2016, 11:33 PM)Packs Wrote: I don't think one was more or less brave and neither better or worse as a team.
I think it was a matter of circumstance, Mr T and KT left their pride to start their own, that is only natural, when coalitions are too large they disperse into smaller prides, then the majingilanes came in at the right time, was it planning, was it luck?
Probably a mixture of both and it worked out in their favor but they paid a price as well.
It's just the nature of their lifestyle.
"Live by the sword, die by the sword"

Nature is raw and beautiful at the same time.

Well said Packs. I do believe luck is a big factor which favor on Majingilane's side. Thanks to the Mapogos who wipe out the other coalitions in the eastern sector; thus the 4 Majingilanes could have a good start after their take over. They got a huge territory from the Mapogos without much warfare. Imagine if they had to do the conquest by themselves then everything wouldn’t go that "smoothly"... I'm not trying to deny their effort to become a successful coalition by themselves but fact is fact.

Last thing: I'm wondering why this post called - History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions. They might be the brutal killer but MOST brutal is far too exaggerated. It was because we got the video that showed they brutally take down Kinky Tail that's why they have been giving this title? Honestly, talk about brutal killer in the lion world, there has many other coalitions much more cruel and brutal than the Majingilane. We all know that the Majingilane is best to work as team so in my opinion, I believe the title should be called - History most unify coalition, the Majingilane Male Lions sounds more appropriate.
3 users Like Chris M.'s post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

@Chris M.
Sometimes threads are started before we are educated enough on the individuals or information involving the individuals and thus we may be a bit hasty in naming threads, regardless if they are 100% correct or not, they tend to stick. I understand where you're coming from but I doubt most members here truly believe one coalition to be greater or weaker than another. 
But I agree, maybe a title change is in order, we've done it before.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Quote: Fighting isn't particularly the strong point for the Majingilane.
Isn't it? 6 years in power say otherwise.

Quote:Thanks to the Mapogos who wipe out the other coalitions in the eastern sector; thus the 4 Majingilanes could have a good start after their take over. They got a huge territory from the Mapogos without much warfare. Imagine if they had to do the conquest by themselves then everything wouldn’t go that "smoothly"...
What other coalitions did the Mapogos wiped out? There were only 2 sick males, the Golf course males, 1 Rollercoaster male, 1 Sand river male, 2 Nkuhuma males, 2 Gijima males...

That was the only competition the six Mapogos had.

So what was the threat, really?

As anyone who has read enough pages of this forum, 4 young males looking to expand are much more than any 2 males coalition or lone lion can handle, so the Majingilane wouldn't have had much trouble wiping them out.

So the point really gets lost.

Quote:Last thing: I'm wondering why this post called - History most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions. They might be the brutal killer but MOST brutal is far too exaggerated. It was because we got the video that showed they brutally take down Kinky Tail that's why they have been giving this title?
Basically.
5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Singapore Skybed Offline
( This post was last modified: 07-19-2016, 01:06 PM by Skybed )

(07-19-2016, 03:30 AM)Chris M. Wrote:
(07-03-2016, 12:54 AM)Anthony Wrote: If the Maj had ever met up with a full contigency of Mapogo I doubt they would have been anymore than a brief footnote the history of SS.
In my opinion, I don't think the Mapogos need to have full force to won the confrontation; I believe even 5 vs. 5 they still would have won the battle. Fighting isn't particularly the strong point for the Majingilane. However; the Mapogos are far much more willing to fight. Besides, they were bigger, more experienced and more aggressive. I can imagine if the 5 Magingilanes met 5 Magopos then they would certainly retreat; if they met the Mapogos at full force and stay to fight then there would be good chance that the Majingilanes would have suffer casualty (however I doubt that they would want to stay and fight).

I feel that these comments are totally disrespectful to a coalition that has been dominant for so long. To say that fighting is not a strong point of the Majingilanes and they are lucky is just bias and unfair. And to those who keep stressing that the Majingilanes only fight outnumbered opponents, i wish to reiterate that it is not a matter of choice. They are a coalition of four so naturally they have the advantage in numbers. Do anyone really thinks a lion would go and seek out rival male lions alone if he has other coalition partners? The truth is when the Mapogos ran riot, they were a coalition of 6. So why doesn't anyone demean them by saying that they fight outnumbered opponents and they are less brave then this or that coalition.

Well said Packs. I do believe luck is a big factor which favor on Majingilane's side. Thanks to the Mapogos who wipe out the other coalitions in the eastern sector; thus the 4 Majingilanes could have a good start after their take over. They got a huge territory from the Mapogos without much warfare. Imagine if they had to do the conquest by themselves then everything wouldn’t go that "smoothly"... I'm not trying to deny their struggle and effort but fact is fact.

Totally disagree. To give credit to the Mapogos for what the Majingilanes have achieved is plain wrong in my opinion.

And what struggle? What effort? The fact is you do not know what will actually happen even if these coalitons remain.
3 users Like Skybed's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

Majingilane, you are in the US now? The flag beside your username shows so.
3 users Like Polar's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

There are no doubts that the Majingilane lions are aggressive and combative. Must a title be placed under a microscope? When a fisherman claims to have caught a whale-sized big-mouth bass, he does not actually mean the size of a whale. Just put things into perspective and add a dash of common sense.
4 users Like brotherbear's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Being a dominant male lion comes with its scares etc, a while a go he got into a fight and got hit on his right eye and not sure if he's completely or partially blind in his right eye, that's why he has two different coloured eyes.

Credits to Craig Parsons

7 users Like Gamiz's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast

Hip Scar Majingilane 
Credits:Irus Brawn

5 users Like Gamiz's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(07-19-2016, 04:52 PM)Polar Wrote: Majingilane, you are in the US now? The flag beside your username shows so.
No, I live in Argentina. 

But when I access the forum from my cellphone, which I bought a couple of months ago, for some reason, it shows the us flag. No idea why.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Greece LionKiss Offline

a recent Londolozi report is very unfavorable for the Majingilane.
It states clear that they avoided the fight with the Matimbas and Marshiparis.
2 users Like LionKiss's post

Mexico Gamiz Offline
Lion Enthusiast
Smile 

(07-20-2016, 10:20 AM)LionKiss Wrote: a recent Londolozi report is very unfavorable for the Majingilane.

The report is on the thread of the Matimbas.
1 user Likes Gamiz's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

I have no knowledge of the specifics of this incident, but avoiding a fight is sometimes the best call, even by the courageous.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(07-20-2016, 10:20 AM)LionKiss Wrote: a recent Londolozi report is very unfavorable for the Majingilane.

(07-20-2016, 07:42 PM)brotherbear Wrote: I have no knowledge of the specifics of this incident, but avoiding a fight is sometimes the best call, even by the courageous.

Why is it "unfavorable"?

Yes, they retreated from a 2 vs 2 confrontation but what is not being taken into consideration is that it did not happen in their territory.

It happened in Matimba territory.

As @brotherbear says, it was clearly in their best interest to avoid a fight that would bring them nothing, because I don't think they are looking to expand into Londolozi again.

If they would, they would have showed up with force, 3 at least or better yet, the 4 together. 

But they didn't, so what I think it happened is that Black Mane and Scar Nose were simply patrolling the shared border between both territories. When they roared and scent marked, there was no answer so they decided to press a bit more and eventually the Matimbas responded.

Remember what we were talking about some months ago, about the defining of the territories?

Well, I think that's what happened here, no more.

The Majingilane know they are strong in their territory, and no coalition of less than 4 males is going to cause them trouble, at least not yet because they're still strong.

At the same time, the Matimbas have a small territory(smaller than the 4:4/Robsons male leopard, as per Londolozi) and know they can't really expand, because they're surrounded by stronger coalitions. But where they are, they are strong and to me their only real threat are the Birmingham males, not the Majingilane.

Both seniors coalitions are better off where they are, they have no need to expand.
6 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-21-2016, 03:08 AM by Tshokwane )

Credits to Leopard Hills and Hugo Breed. 

Submission...

One of the Othawa youngsters being disciplined by one of the males.

The Othawa pride and two of the Majingilane males have been spending the last couple of days very close to the lodge. 

8 users Like Tshokwane's post