There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
History's most brutal killers, the Majingilane Male Lions

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-24-2018, 12:43 AM)Chris Wrote: Wrong, they would have stayed together just like the rest of them.

How do you know that, Chris? 

What do you think would happen if, the 3 older males had all the girls and the other two just stayed there wanting some action as well?

Don't you think that, have all the territory they amassed, those two wouldn't have use that opportunity and capitalize on it, prefering to stay more with one pride because there they would have plenty more mating opportunities?...

Now, that doesn't mean they wouldn't still hang out with each other and have the good bond they had, but I definitely think that it wouldn't have been as strong or they would have spend as much time together, for the simple reason it would have been much more effective, in a natural way, to stay separated.
1 user Likes Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Throwback time.

I don't remember posting this one before, so here it goes:

05/07/10: The New RulersPosted by: Graham

The first time I saw them was a day before it happened. 
Their eyes held a softer expression of any sub adult male lion of their age, but the expression those eyes bore the next time we met was very, very different.

Up until that time the area belonged to the gang of thugs known as the Mapogo’s. No male lion crosses into another’s domain without running a serious risk of being detected, discovered and possibly loosing your life. It was not long before two of the Mapogo males had discovered these new young up and coming males on their patch, attacking them instantly and severely mauling one of them, paralyzing him, leading to his death later on the same day. Later that afternoon the now four strong, upstarts must have been aware they had the upper hand and during a counter attack killed one of the Mapogo males, and abruptly bringing their infamous rein to a bloody end.

They had punctured his skull, breaking his zygomatic arch and removing a chunk out of the back of his cranium.
The next time we met their eyes held within an added confidence, as they now knew what they are capable of together. What is interesting is these new boys have begun their rule the same way as the Mapogo’s did just over three years ago and that is with the death of one of the old echelon. Where they came from is not important, what genes they carry is. As within in them lies the success or demise of the African Lion. I am sure we will be hearing more from these boys, as will the rest of the Sabi Sands Game Reserve.

Meet the new kings.

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

Brazil Sirius-B Offline
New Join

(04-23-2018, 05:20 PM)Tshokwane Wrote:
(04-23-2018, 04:11 PM)KGB_lion Wrote:  > Infact, both of them were chasing the 4 manginjis away. At some point in this chase, T gave up

Source for this?

It's more of a supposed thing than an actual account, mostly because he arrived minutes later to the fight, so people guess that he must have gotten lost during the chase.

(04-23-2018, 03:19 AM)HouseOfLions Wrote: And they didn't win anything over the "Mapogos", they won over 2 lions - the mlowathis. When you say Mapogo, you mean all 6.

And also again vs another 2 when the full coalition went east to challenge them, where Rasta got killed and PB was injured.

The majingilane didn't killed Rasta, they've probably didn't even fought that night, what you're affirming is pure speculation; there was sightings with all five in good condition after the alleged encounter, here's the proof that neither Rasta was killed or they've fought that night: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-mapog...389787135/

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-24-2018, 08:02 AM)Sirius-B Wrote: here's the proof that neither Rasta was killed or they've fought that night: https://www.facebook.com/notes/the-mapog...389787135/

Yeah, the "proof". From the most biased source you could have come up with.

(04-24-2018, 08:02 AM)Sirius-B Wrote: there was sightings with all five in good condition after the alleged encounter

Yeah, never mind that most of those reserves post about the sightings days after they've actually seen them, and never mind that the information is selected and manufactured to make it look as if nothing, nothing at all happened.

I guess next is going to come the silly assumption that the guides and rangers darted him, or that he was poached, and everything was done to "extinguish their lineage", right?... 

All of yours, and their stance can be resumed from this sentence of the very link you posted:
Quote:Rasta was a very proud male lion and one of the most aggressive Mapogos. It is hard to believe that he and his Twin-brother Pretty Boy, who were also a big and fearless lion, fell into a trap and lost the battle again the  inexperienced Newcomers. No way!!!

There it is. That denial, the delusion, that's all there is to it.
2 users Like Tshokwane's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

My stance on Rasta's death has been made pretty clear in past discussions about it, so we're not going to start debating about it all over again.

For what is worth, I don't really care whether they actually killed him outright, like they did with Kinky tail, or if he died from his injuries after the fight, or even if he wasn't at all killed by them in a fight and it's all "speculation", like Sirius wants to say.

History, for a lack of a better word in a natural context, says that the whole coalition went there to fight the Majingilane, to take back their land, and when they returned two of them were missing, one returned seriously injured, the other never returned, and was presumed dead.

What a coincidence that in the middle of all this there's a full hour's lenght video with sounds of lions fighting, the exact same kind of sounds that were listened when the Majingilane killed Kinky tail. 

What a coincidence, right?...

That's all I have to say on the subject, I hope there's not 200 posts following on this trying to prove to me why I'm wrong, or right, because trust me, there's a hundered plus pages on this thread and we have been there on this debate, and there's almost a hundred on the Mapogo thread, again with the same discussion.

Brazil Sirius-B Offline
New Join

(04-24-2018, 04:09 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: My stance on Rasta's death has been made pretty clear in past discussions about it, so we're not going to start debating about it all over again.

For what is worth, I don't really care whether they actually killed him outright, like they did with Kinky tail, or if he died from his injuries after the fight, or even if he wasn't at all killed by them in a fight and it's all "speculation", like Sirius wants to say.

History, for a lack of a better word in a natural context, says that the whole coalition went there to fight the Majingilane, to take back their land, and when they returned two of them were missing, one returned seriously injured, the other never returned, and was presumed dead.

What a coincidence that in the middle of all this there's a full hour's lenght video with sounds of lions fighting, the exact same kind of sounds that were listened when the Majingilane killed Kinky tail. 

What a coincidence, right?...

That's all I have to say on the subject, I hope there's not 200 posts following on this trying to prove to me why I'm wrong, or right, because trust me, there's a hundered plus pages on this thread and we have been there on this debate, and there's almost a hundred on the Mapogo thread, again with the same discussion.
I understand you, and agree that we shouldn't fill this thread with such repetitive discussion. I think all I wanted to prove is on the previous post, so it doesn't make any sense to insist on my point. Even though, just to make it clear, to me, there wasn't any fight, and Rasta disapeared after that night. But again, i respect your point of view, and agree it is nonsense to keep discussing this, so let's leave it this way. And no, i don't think that he was darted or any other stupid conspiration, he migh've been killed by the majingilanes, i don't no, but in that night, it just seems, he wasn't. And it seems to me that the elephant plains conflict, as it was told, makes no sense, and can't be prooven by anything other than a video with sounds of lions vocalizing, which doesn't necesseraly means a fight, but maybe i'am wrong. Also, i agree that my source  is not the best, but it provides considerable information, despite the ridiculous humanization and fanatism.
1 user Likes Sirius-B's post

lioncrazy Offline

No one has spotted dm?
1 user Likes lioncrazy's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(04-25-2018, 05:08 AM)lioncrazy Wrote: No one has spotted dm?

No, not that I'm aware of.

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Official statement from Singita on Scar nose's death. I had seen this before, but as a private response instead of an official one, I missed until now that it had been officially published, which was what I wanted to wait for, so here it is.

Credits to Dr. Neil Midlane Singita General Manager, Conservation - Singita Game Reserve.

Around 5pm on 11 April, Singita guides found the body of a male lion whilst out on afternoon game drive. After a closer look, it was clear that it was a member of the Majingilane coalition, known to many as Scar Nose. The lion’s body had a number of wounds, but none obviously fatal. 

There was no sign of any fight having taken place in the area, and none of our guides witnessed any fights involving this lion in the area. Our management reported the lion death to the Sabi Sand Wildtuin, who will conduct tests for disease if they deem it necessary. However, it appears certain that the animal died of natural causes. 

Although it’s always sad to lose a lion, this male and his coalition had an extraordinarily long territorial tenure, and have sired many cubs in that time. It is in the best interest of the genetic diversity of this lion population that new males now move in and produce the next generation of offspring.

France Silver60 Offline

Lasts moments of Dark Mane 

https://youtu.be/DzlGBqIDryU
1 user Likes Silver60's post

Musa15 Offline

(04-25-2018, 09:20 PM)Silver60 Wrote: Lasts moments of Dark Mane 

It's tough to watch this video and the way it's worded, very emotional to see and I must say that I haven't felt quite as intense about wild animals' passing like these fellas. 8 years of admiring them creates a bond of sorts, Too bad I never got to see them in real life. Still hoping that DM is still out there somewhere but it is reaching the point of GM soon, where too long of an absence makes it clear what happened.
2 users Like Musa15's post

United Kingdom Leroy Offline

(04-17-2018, 01:50 AM)George Wrote: I have the faith that he is going to find a meal,he is the big boss!

(04-25-2018, 10:31 PM)Musa15 Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 09:20 PM)Silver60 Wrote: Lasts moments of Dark Mane 

It's tough to watch this video and the way it's worded, very emotional to see and I must say that I haven't felt quite as intense about wild animals' passing like these fellas. 8 years of admiring them creates a bond of sorts, Too bad I never got to see them in real life. Still hoping that DM is still out there somewhere but it is reaching the point of GM soon, where too long of an absence makes it clear what happened.

Part of me hopes he is still alive reinvigorated after eating a buffalo and dotting around avoiding coalitions but the last time he was spotted i think was the 9th with signs of tb. He's probably slinked off somewhere remote, laid down and passed. The problem is these cats isolate themselves when they are dying leaving rangers with difficulty actually finding where they are and then locating the remains after hyenas have eaten it. It's not over until the fat lady sings though, the matimbas have came back from the brink many a time. Maybe dm can?

He can be proud though, he's done everything he was supposed to do. Night night sweet Prince. The valiant knight.
1 user Likes Leroy's post

United States ShakaMapogo Offline
Scythian

Here’s a painting I did of SN when he passed away... still can’t wrap my head around them being gone.
7 users Like ShakaMapogo's post

Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Craig Parsons.

The old one!

5 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(04-28-2018, 11:17 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Craig Parsons.

The old one!

Ticks on ears :)
2 users Like vinodkumarn's post