There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girth Comparaison of Animals

Indonesia P.T.Sondaica Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-19-2018, 07:51 PM by sanjay )

Tiger have more muscle than bear..so in same size tiger is more strong than brown/grizly bear? (Tiger memiliki otot yang kuat dari coklat beruang dalam ukuran yang sama?)

Edit: Sanjay
This thread has been renamed and the most discussion is around Chest girth of Carnivora

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

If possible post in in English so that most of us can understand

Should be start a section on wildfact for Indonesian ?

Tiger have more muscle than bear..so in same size tiger is more strong than brown/grizly bear?
1 user Likes P.T.Sondaica's post

United States Polar Offline
Polar Bear Enthusiast

(03-24-2018, 05:42 AM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Tiger have more muscle than bear..so in same size tiger is more strong than brown/grizly bear?

No, it is much harder than that. Different morphological forms and molecular muscular differences dominate here. I find that bears are stronger than tigers in most aspects (due to thicker back, neck, shoulders, arms, etc...), but tigers are stronger in regards to bite force and (probably) pulling strength since they have greater elasticity in their back (with weaker back muscles, but still) and equally flexible hip region.

In fact, muscle percentage is the smallest portion of what makes up the difference between big cats and bears. Muscle percentage starts to matter more if the animals are more similar in form.
1 user Likes Polar's post

Where data?

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

(03-28-2018, 06:44 AM)Polar Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 05:42 AM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Tiger have more muscle than bear..so in same size tiger is more strong than brown/grizly bear?

No, it is much harder than that. Different morphological forms and molecular muscular differences dominate here. I find that bears are stronger than tigers in most aspects (due to thicker back, neck, shoulders, arms, etc...), but tigers are stronger in regards to bite force and (probably) pulling strength since they have greater elasticity in their back (with weaker back muscles, but still) and equally flexible hip region.

In fact, muscle percentage is the smallest portion of what makes up the difference between big cats and bears. Muscle percentage starts to matter more if the animals are more similar in form.

@Polar: I can sum up by telling that bears are physically stronger, whereas tigers (and lions) are more armed to kill theirs preys (bite force, retractable claws, better suppleness and agility) ?
2 users Like Spalea's post

I need data

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(03-24-2018, 05:42 AM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Tiger have more muscle than bear...

Where did you get this from?
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Polar say to me @Rishi
1 user Likes P.T.Sondaica's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-28-2018, 03:54 PM by Rishi )

(03-28-2018, 01:27 PM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Polar say to me @Rishi

@Polar?? 

As far as i know Tigers' bite-force isn't stronger either, than that of Browns & Grizzlies.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Wow how psi bite of jaguar Rishi
2 users Like P.T.Sondaica's post

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

Just as with cats, some bear species are pound-for-pound stronger than others. Polar bear and grizzly at the pinnacle.
1 user Likes brotherbear's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 03-28-2018, 03:55 PM by Rishi )

(03-28-2018, 03:07 PM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Wow how psi bite of jaguar Rishi

Ohhhh... my apologies. It's not an absolute value... Their's is highest pound for pound. I overlooked it!

Anyways the values comes something like this...

*This image is copyright of its original author

(03-28-2018, 03:45 PM)brotherbear Wrote: Just as with cats, some bear species are pound-for-pound stronger than others. Polar bear and grizzly at the pinnacle.

Amongst the bears it's the Sun bears that have highest pound4pound bite-force!

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Rishi's post

Ok @brotherbear in same size who more strong grizlly/alaskan vs polar bear?

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

(03-28-2018, 04:03 PM)P.T.Sondaica Wrote: Ok @brotherbear in same size who more strong grizlly/alaskan vs polar bear?

I would lay claim that pound-for-pound, the grizzly. He often spends his days overturning logs and boulders. The shoulder hump is in evolutionary response to about one million years of digging and sometimes excavating huge cavernous holes in hard ground usually riddled with rocks and tough roots. That same shoulder hump reinforces the grizzly's upper-body strength. The grizzly has a shorter more robust neck with a larger broader skull. 
I have heard that the polar bear has larger arms; although I have neither read any data nor seen any comparisons as evidence of this. I believe that between the two biggest bears, it is a close contest. 
The bite-force issue, between the grizzly and the tiger has yet to be resolved on the site. However, my nickel would be on the tiger.
1 user Likes brotherbear's post