There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2014, 01:00 PM by Pantherinae )

male leopard show's young hyena who's boss

large female hyena who appers to be a dominant clan member because of her attitude and that she seems to have eaten alot. Her she dominantes a young male leopard

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2014, 01:20 PM by Pantherinae )

here a single hyena is dominanted by a cheetah who he/she could have killed with ease. 

When i brought up dominant hyenas with confidence is different than hyenas low in The ranking system here i wanna show som clipps of how extreame these cases can be, a hyena low innthe ranking system of The clan, will be bullied and dominated even by higher ranked females puppies 

hyenas are very interesting animals, here one single likely highly ranked dominates five cheetah's.
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Again just show's how amazing male Lions can be! Incerdible to watch 
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Male leopard vs wild dogs 

1 user Likes Pantherinae's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Great posts Pantherinae. TFS
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Norway Jubatus Offline

Wow hyenas are beeing underestimated, by me included. 

Thats some enjoyable moments captured on film tfs :-) 

Norway Jubatus Offline

I miss tigers here so i can start if with: a Male tiger steals a leopards kill, in what appares to be Ranthambore :-) 

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-03-2014, 03:16 AM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: It is also important to say that leopard and hyena competition really depends on where in Africa. Zambia a leopard male stands no chance the biggest hyenas are from Zambia and leopards have some big male there, but no 75-90 induviduval's and there I have seen a hyena just chasing a mating pair of leopards with no reasons. But in Kruger where hyenas are also big and leopards said to be huge The balance is more even. 

I think it's more even than You think, hyenas I have seen chasing large male leopards and also The other way around. I do not think a large dominant hyena has any fear of a leopard just respect. Also less dominant hyenas are easaly scared as they lack confidence, but hyenas with alot of confidence and a good size is a very dangous animal, remember they can kill Massive animals up to three times their size alone! Hyenas can't defend themselves as good as a cat no doubt, but I have seen a hyena survive attacks from 4 lionesses and would have a good chance of surviving a attack from 5 leopards aswell. Also hyenas can survive with three legs, and can take bigger risk's than a leopard because The can fall back on The other clan members, that's probably also a good factor why some hyenas are so bold and are willing to take so big risk's! And leopard's are more carefull, a god bite from a hyena in The paw could mean death for The leopard! 

I think if leopard's where a normal threat to hyenas it would have been captured on film and hyenas would be more carefull around them, but some male leopards can ofcourse adapt The habbit of learning The skill's of killing them, but it's probably very rare, and it must be a massive leopard still I doubt a dominant animal. 

Either way both animals are very powerfull animals and deserves a lot of respect! 

You would have to show me leopard sizes from Kruger compared to Zambia for me to agree with size differences.
No matter the size of the Hyenna, it will be outmatched by a Leopard. Hyennas are usually larger than leopards any way or very close in size, yet they are easily defeated. The lone leopard defeated 5 hyennas, that is proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.
At the end of the day, the Leopard is the One who is killing the Hyenna, not the other way around. Smaller leopards standing its ground against 4 hyennas, 5 hyennas, etc. That is too much proof of a dominate animal. Maybe a leopard chooses to run than to fight, maybe it doesn't, but it will always be the leopards choice. Just a like a lion vs hyenna(s), it's the animal that has an advantage, wether #'s or weaponary that will decide its own fate.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Cheetahs and Hyenna

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-03-2014, 09:55 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: Great discussion, 2 point to remember
1st - Leopards are lone animal. so they avoid any injuries
2nd - Hyenas have one of the most powerful jaws in animal world. More powerful than any big cats.

Hyena tear the flesh while big cats penetrate it.

Social characteristics of hyena (dog like) are much better than big cats (Lions)

I believe BF is ranked by square each I believe, a hyennas jaw is far smaller than a Lions. Also, GWS and Crocs have far higher BF than any land animals I believe.

Remember, when you see a Lion bite a hyenna, it is usually death. When you see a Hyenna bite a lion, its usually a nip. Just look at how long it takes a hyenna clan to defeat a lone lion, yet look at how fast a male lion will storm a entire clan and grab one hyenna and kill it with in seconds.
A animal with that much more mass is going to have far more power.

I also don't think I agree with hyennas being better as a team than lions, they both are unreal social animals, and lions take down far more impressive prey and use teamwork extremely well.  I wouldn't say one is better than another. Nor do I think anybody else can say that either.

2 users Like Pckts's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

A leopard desperat does something like that, but will also run from 1 sometimes. A leopard has been photagraphed once suffucateing a sub-adult hyena. Ofcourse a leopard can kill a hyena, but hyenas can do The same, with just a serious bite. Leopards are not The dominant animal it's a even match, depending on induviduvals. And hyenas are in general The second most dominant animal in Africa after The Lions, because of their big clan's. 

Bigcat Enthusiast

Leopard beats a hasty retreat

Leopard and Hyenna share a kill till the leopard decides to give it a nice wack

Two Lion males kill a Hyenna

BHOPAL: A pregnant leopard was killed by a tiger in Panna Tiger Reserve (PTR) on Wednesday. Its carcass and two fetuses were found in Mandla range, PTR officials said.

This was the seventh such case at PTR, where leopards were killed over a war of territorial supremacy.

"Spotting leopard in its territory, tiger (T-4) attacked the small cat and broke its skull bone," said R Shreenivas Murthy, PTR director.
Leopards often take shelter on fringes of forest killing animals like dogs and generally avoid encounters with tigers, he said, adding the leopard had entered T-4's territory.

"Pugmarks of a tiger were detected on the spot where the carcass of the leopard was recovered. Canine injuries on forehead, front leg and below neck substantially indicated that the leopard was killed in tiger attack," Murthy added.

Poaching has been ruled out as its hide and nails were found intact. For further investigations, the fetuses were embalmed and other samples were sent for forensic examination.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/...442359.cms

Lakhimpur: A leopard, whose carcass was recovered from Devipur beat in Mohammadi range, was killed in an attack by a tiger."Pugmarks of a tiger were detected on the spot where the carcass of the leopard was recovered. The hunting pattern which disclosed attack on leopard`s hips, canine injuries on a front leg and below the neck substantially indicated that the leopard was killed in tiger attack," Divisional Forest Officer Neeraj Kumar said.The DFO denied any poaching marks on the carcass.
Carcass of the male leopard was yesterday recovered from the jungles of Devipur beat under south Kheri forest division.PTI
http://zeenews.india.com/news/eco-news/l...84367.html

"Noted tiger scientist and director of Centre for Wildlife Studies, K Ullas Karanth, said, “There have been cases in the past where a lion or a tiger have killed a leopard. This happens due to inter-specific competition. Usually a tiger finds it hard to catch a leopard as the latter climbs trees and escape. But once it gets hold of a leopard, the tiger kills it. This is because the leopards are 3-4 times smaller than tigers. Similar killings have been spotted in Khana and Ranthambore. Once a Y radio-collared tigress had held a leopard on a tree for an entire night, and the next day the leopard was found dead.”
http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report...se-1499213

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-03-2014, 11:35 PM)'Pantherinae' Wrote: A leopard desperat does something like that, but will also run from 1 sometimes. A leopard has been photagraphed once suffucateing a sub-adult hyena. Ofcourse a leopard can kill a hyena, but hyenas can do The same, with just a serious bite. Leopards are not The dominant animal it's a even match, depending on induviduvals. And hyenas are in general The second most dominant animal in Africa after The Lions, because of their big clan's. 

Once again, there are 3 other hyenna deaths from leopards that are not said to be "sub adult" not sure why you try to limit it to just that, when Its not the case.
Hyenna(S) meaning more than 1. A hyenna is far less dominate than a leopard. Proven by the fact that a lone leopard takes on 5 at a time and wins, may be rare but it has happened.
And so far, I have found one account of a hyenna killing a sub adult leopard and thats it.

All I am saying is this, A leopard dictates if it stays and fights or runs. It has to make a rash decision that could effect the solitary hunter and even kill it, so the same leopard could run at times or stay and fight, every situation will dictate it. But big cats show something a long the lines of "resentment" so maybe its just fed up with being hounded by Hyennas or its having a "bad day" and it says "Ok, I have had enough, Its time to teach them a lesson" just like a human us, most of the time we turn the other cheek, avoid being arrested or doing something we know is wrong, but maybe we are having a terrible day and we do something out of character. Its just the nature of animals, every day brings different reactions, sometimes our emotions get the best of us.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

It's not true that leopards are far more dominat animal than hyenas, when you can find just as many occasions where leopards are chases away by hyenas, as The other way around. 

I think some male leopards can kill hyenas, but not all hyenas. Then You would have seen hyenas have way more respect than they actually has. Videos tells me one thing and old book records tells me other things. To me it's a 50/50 only depending on induviduvals. 

United States Siegfried Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Again, the surgical ambush kill of a hyena by a leopard in predatory mode is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than a frontal dispute over food or just about anything else.   

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2014, 03:34 AM by Pckts )

(09-04-2014, 03:04 AM)'Siegfried' Wrote: Again, the surgical ambush kill of a hyena by a leopard in predatory mode is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than a frontal dispute over food or just about anything else.   

Again, the Leopard that stole and fought off 5 hyennas was full frontal. Just because you use one account and none of the others means what exactly?
Also, can you tell me which direction they are facing?