There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Felids Interactions - Interspecific Conflicts

BorneanTiger Offline
Contributor

@Balam @Rage2277 @Shadow Quite naturally, because of this case, I wondered what could be the case in the savannahs of Africa, and this video does not necessarily show a warthog doing exactly the same thing to a lion, but it's probably the best thing that I could find which comes close to that case:

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-08-2020, 12:51 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: @Balam @Rage2277 @Shadow Quite naturally, because of this case, I wondered what could be the case in the savannahs of Africa, and this video does not necessarily show a warthog doing exactly the same thing to a lion, but it's probably the best thing that I could find which comes close to that case:

"My most memorable Cat (and Warthog sighting): Lioness vs. Warthog, Sabi Sand circa 2000. During the floods of Feb 2000, a Lioness caught our Idube Game Lodge camp warthog in the riverbed in front of the breakfast deck, and a 45-minute battle ensued, with all the entire staff compliment gathered on the deck, much like a bunch of Romans at the Colosseum (except everyone was rooting for the pig). The Warthog beat off the Lioness, this photo being the defining split second in the fight. He survived for another six months, totally blind, no ears, and became immortalized in the Story of 'Samson the Great', as the local staff named him after the battle."

*This image is copyright of its original author

Warthogs are known to face predators head-on. Lions will seldom attack a warthog that is facing it. I observed a Lioness chasing a Warthog across the Chobe River floodplain and when the Lioness was within touching distance the Warthog turned and faced her. She stopped, turned and walked away. The Warthog trotted off in the opposite direction.
http://www.botswana.co.za/Botswana_Wildlife_Behaviour-travel/interspecies-dominance.html

Warthogs may not be as formidable as an Indian Boar but they still can defend themselves adequately when forced to. But regardless, either isn't killing an Adult Lion or Tiger unless some very exceptional circumstance arises.
This account is too far fetched imo, I've never once seen a fight that lead to both animals not only dying but dying within a foot of one another and facing the same direction. Next is the fact that they are at least 10 days old so who knows what actually occurred, my money would be poisoning though. And lastly is judging by the size of the Tiger, especially the skull, that is a youngster or a small female. 
6 users Like Pckts's post

Russian Federation Diamir2 Offline

(09-07-2020, 10:17 PM)Balam Wrote: Tiger and boar die in a fight at Kaziranga:

Kaziranga, September 7: The world-famous Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve recently saw an unusual fight between a royal Bengal tiger and a wild boar. The fierce battle ended with the wild boar inflicting fatal injuries on the tiger. Both the animals died in the clash. Officials said that the first time they had witnessed a royal Bengal tiger dying fighting with a wild boar in Kaziranga National Park and Tiger Reserve. 

"This happened for the first time in the history of Kaziranga that a royal Bengal tiger died fighting a wild boar. We have never been witness to such an incident," Kaziranga Research Officer Robin Sarmah was quoted by TOI as saying. The fight took place near Teteleguri anti-poaching camp in Kohora forest range. Officials found the carcasses of the two animals during patrolling on September 5.

"We got a foul smell from the Teteliguri highland area and started a search. Later, we found two carcasses of a Royal Bengal Tiger and a wild boar at the spot. Both carcasses have been decomposed and we believe the fight may have happened about 10 days ago," Kaziranga National Park Director P Shivakumar said.

According to Sarmah, the tiger sustained grievous injuries in its belly and the wild boar had multiple injury marks on its body. With this, Kaziranga National Park has so far lost three royal Bengal tigers this year. Besides, 18 rhinos and 135 wild animals were killed in flood.

Source

The image posted in the article is blurred so it's hard to see the details from the fight. I'm curious to read others' opinion on this article. Boar shouldn't be underestimated at all.

the article does not say anything about the cause of death of the tiger - the necessary conclusion of the reserve veterinarians is missing
and not only the conclusion
so far all these are only hypotheses of Mr. Robin Sarmah
4 users Like Diamir2's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

It’s just lazy and incompetent from the forest department to enact this coverup so shabbily. Seriously, how are they a foot apart?! If you are going to cover up, you need to use a bit of brain. I can see why Kaziranga officials have done this. After the floods, there have been a few poaching cases, and a couple of rhinos died who were in the care of kaziranga. I am guessing they didn’t want a case of poisoning or poaching added to their scrutiny.
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

they also claimed noor's daughter translocated from ranthambore to mukundra died from a fight with another tiger a reserve with only four adult tigers,plenty of room.
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(09-08-2020, 12:51 PM)BorneanTiger Wrote: @Balam @Rage2277 @Shadow Quite naturally, because of this case, I wondered what could be the case in the savannahs of Africa, and this video does not necessarily show a warthog doing exactly the same thing to a lion, but it's probably the best thing that I could find which comes close to that case:

All predators have bad days. There was just posted in lion predation thread a case in which a wildebeest and a lion encountered and that lion really failed big time. It seemed to get out of the situation unharmed, but it was a close call. Was it inexperience or sloppiness or whatever, who knows. But that kind of mistakes or accidents can be sometimes the difference between life and death.

As it can be seen with this latest case here, many kind of speculations and opinions. What is the truth, who knows, but there we have a dead tiger and a dead wild boar. Many things could have lead to the situation seen in photos and one is, no matter what people say or think, that they fought and injured each others so badly that both died. I´ve seen way more odd things than it, which have looked like impossible to be true, but nevertheless they have been true. But from available photos alone it´s quite impossible to say anything certain really, imo. If it´s as told in media, then it´s truly a rare case.

Overall I don´t be too surprised to see cases in which big cats die sometimes in situations in which they normally don´t. They are flesh and blood just like all mammals and sometimes, so to say, shit happens even to the apex predators. It would be interesting to know more. But it seems to be so, that when these things happen reporters don´t follow up too much, if more accurate information later from veterinarians etc. 

Personally I think, that this latest case is either a fight as told or then case of poisoning. Especially the carcass of the tiger seemed to be in really bad shape, which looks a bit odd.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Yes I agree that looks like a cover up, does not look like they where killed at the same time, I think this is the case with other cases from Kaziranga as well. Rhinos with clear snare injuries are described as being attacked by a tiger. And also I find the dead rhino and tiger suspect as well.
2 users Like Pantherinae's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-12-2020, 06:29 PM by Balam )

Small rumble between a female tiger and a jaguar at BJWT looks to be a sanctuary, both cats are extremely agile with fast reflexes

3 users Like Balam's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-12-2020, 04:32 PM)Balam Wrote: Small rumble between a female jaguar and a tiger at what looks to be a sanctuary, both cats are extremely agile with fast reflexes

Michael is the male Black Jaguar and Tierra is the Tigress.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Argentinian cougar cornered by dogs

By Guanaco Hills
4 users Like Balam's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-12-2020, 04:32 PM)Balam Wrote: Small rumble between a female tiger and a jaguar at BJWT looks to be a sanctuary, both cats are extremely agile with fast reflexes

Where can I find the original video?

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Pantherinae I don't have it either, this is the only short clip I was able to pull.
2 users Like Balam's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

young gir lioness and python
2 users Like Rage2277's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

When I read "Felids interactions" I suppose it's between felids ans other carnivorous species (because it was spoken about warthogs and wild boars just below at #1066, 1067, 1068, even if warthogs and boars sometimes are able to eat some flesh...), thus it would be the good place for this:

Despite a desesperate attempt to protect its kill, a cheetah had to leave it to a stronger spotted hyena.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

2 users Like Spalea's post