There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinct Big Cats Series Announcement!!

smedz Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-22-2019, 08:17 AM by Rishi )

Greetings my fellow human beings a.k.a Homo sapiens, as some of you may know, I do have my own YouTube channel. 
This channel is about animals in general, and I've decided to make a series about extinct big cats. The first episode will be on the American Lion (Panthera atrox). I will take any suggestions anybody has for an episode. 

So stay tuned!
3 users Like smedz's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

I will love to help you in that series. Happy

Just tell me what information do you need. Like
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

smedz Offline

(02-26-2019, 01:53 AM)GuateGojira Wrote: I will love to help you in that series. Happy

Just tell me what information do you need. Like

Why thank you. I'll need the following. 

1. Habitat 
2. Actual size (weight especially) 
3. Social structure 
4. Preferred prey 
5. How the heck they coexisted with Smilodon and Dire wolves (Pretty sure that may have been habitat preference but I'd like to be sure) 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a correlation between pride size and mane size?
1 user Likes smedz's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@smedz :

About #3

You told " Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a correlation between pride size and mane size? ".

Yes but not exclusively. I think the range of available preys is important too. And also the kind of climate and the altitude (extinct Barbary lions, Ngonrogonro lions...).

Tsavo park: small prides and maneless male lions. Buffalos are the main preys.
West Africa: idem, but because the prey range isn't as plentiful...
Extinct Barbary lions: well-maned lions but wild preys rather scarce, thus small prides ? Perhaps an effect of the altitude on the mane size.
Extinct Cape lions: beautiful manes too, mediteranean climate like for the extinct Barbary lions... Size of the pride ? I don't know, very difficult to determine within the XIXth century during which they were exterminated.
East and south Africa: big prides, large range of wild preys and most handsome-maned lions even in the Namibian desert (perhaps the seal's flesh has an effect on the mane size too).
Asiatic lions: well maned male lions but the prides aren't that big.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

smedz Offline

Thank you Spelea, I have come up with a title for the series, I shall call it..................................

"WALKING WITH (WELL NOT REALLY) (DUH) WITH EXTINCT BIG CATS"

Not only will there be episodes on prehistoric cats, but also cats that died out recently like the Caspian Tiger and the Barbary Lion.
2 users Like smedz's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 02-26-2019, 07:44 AM by GuateGojira )

(02-26-2019, 03:25 AM)smedz Wrote: Why thank you. I'll need the following. 

1. Habitat 
3. Social structure 
4. Preferred prey 
5. How the heck they coexisted with Smilodon and Dire wolves (Pretty sure that may have been habitat preference but I'd like to be sure) 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a correlation between pride size and mane size?

Give me time to next monday and with pleasure I will provide the information that I have. Like

smedz Offline

(02-26-2019, 07:44 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 03:25 AM)smedz Wrote: Why thank you. I'll need the following. 

1. Habitat 
3. Social structure 
4. Preferred prey 

Give me time to next monday and with pleasure I will provide the information that I have. Like

Take all the time you need. No worries.
1 user Likes smedz's post

Expert & Researcher

(02-26-2019, 05:51 AM)smedz Wrote: Not only will there be episodes on prehistoric cats, but also cats that died out recently like the Caspian Tiger and the Barbary Lion.

It will be perfect. There are a hundred of myths about the Caspian tiger, the Cape lion and specially the Barbary lion. Is a shame that many youtube channels in Spanish are spreading those lies and the people believe it like facts.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

smedz Offline

(02-26-2019, 07:46 AM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(02-26-2019, 05:51 AM)smedz Wrote: Not only will there be episodes on prehistoric cats, but also cats that died out recently like the Caspian Tiger and the Barbary Lion.

It will be perfect. There are a hundred of myths about the Caspian tiger, the Cape lion and specially the Barbary lion. Is a shame that many youtube channels in Spanish are spreading those lies and the people believe it like facts.

Seriously!? Well then, when I get to those, I'll do my best to put an end to those myths.

Expert & Researcher

(02-26-2019, 07:51 AM)smedz Wrote: Seriously!? Well then, when I get to those, I'll do my best to put an end to those myths.

That will be perfect, and you will have all my data available, if you need it. Happy

smedz Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-27-2019, 04:53 AM by smedz Edit Reason: I had to assure those helping with the series that they will get credit )

I have a list of episodes for season 1 so far at least. 

1. American Lion 
2. Homotherium (that animal I know pretty well) 
3. Ngandong Tiger 
4. Smilodon (know them pretty well too) 
5. Amphimachairodus ( know the perfect source for that) 
6. Eurasian Cave Lion  
7. Machairodus 
8. Giant Cheetah 
9. Megantereon  
10. Caspian Tiger

For those who want to help, I will give lots of credit to you. It wouldn't be right to hog all the credit.

Pakistan fursan syed Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast

The Magnificent Caspian Tiger. 
Extinct by the hands of human 

cheetah Offline
Banned

American Lion Panthera leo atrox 
Weight:256-420 kg
When lions migrated to north america through beringia because of competiton from the smilodon they evolved into the giant american lion.
They were the second largest species of non-hybrid big cats.

cheetah Offline
Banned

https://redlory23.wixsite.com/wildcats/prehistory
This is my website info I collected.

cheetah Offline
Banned

Here are more sites
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_lion
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xlfg9
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xlfg8
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6xlfga