There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Domesticated Herbivores

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM by Rishi )

Post any images, accounts or studies related to Semi/Domesticated Bovines.

Jiju Atheena

Nikon D 7100 +Sigma 70-200 mm f 2.8 lens
@ 70 mm , F 4.5 , 1/800, ISO 500 ,
Date 10 AUG 2017 
( Full screen view recommended )

*This image is copyright of its original author

Raja preying on domestic bison

Kaziranga Tiger chasing down domestic cattle

6 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-24-2019, 10:44 AM by Rishi )

Domestic Yak w/shaved horns vs Bull 

another one, this time the Yak has a full head of horns

Longhorn and a Bison

Water Buffalo Fight

2 users Like Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 01-24-2019, 10:28 AM by Rishi )

@Pckts can i change the name to "Domesticated herbivores" instead of bovines?

That way we can include all sorts of animals like horses, camels etc.
2 users Like Rishi's post

Sanju Offline

@Pckts The last video is from Telangana (Hyderabad looks like):

1 user Likes Sanju's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

No problem @Rishi
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Bull wild gaur grazing with domestic cows in Ninh Thuan Province, Vietnam.
http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/wil...39557.html
(No, he didn't "prefer" cows. The poor sod was the only gaur in the whole forest.)

Same guy.. http://greetingvietnam.com/environment/v...-gaur.html

The results...

5 users Like Rishi's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

Gopinath Kollur
Kambala – Our very own indigenous sport from Coastal Karnataka 

Photography is my passion and nothing less than photographing wildlife in their natural habitat makes me happy. Therefore, my calendar is mostly packed with trips across the country where in I select the national parks and sanctuaries according to the season that would provide me the best wildlife sightings. Seasons often play a spoilsport. Over the last few months, I have also experimented my photography skills and tested my limitations on various other parameters like historical monuments, religious places and off course the so very fluid waterfalls of Meghalaya.

I had been planning for a new location since last year and after making the necessary logistics arrangements, I found myself at the Mumbai airport waiting for a flight that would land me at coastal Karnataka. I was soon at Tulu Nadu, which formed from the districts of Dakshina Kannada & Udupi, holds the annual festival of KAMBALA. This five month long festival (November to March) celebrates the beginning of harvest season in the regions of coastal Karnataka. This festival involves the traditional buffalo race, a very popular & unique sports popular among the local farming communities.

History says the buffalo races originated as a sport for the royal family’s amusement or pleasure & was a form of showing gratitude to the Gods for a good harvest. In those days, the winner of the buffalo race was rewarded with a coconut but now as the indigenous game has gained popularity; medal & certificates bring in the name & fame to the winner.

The race is generally held on two muddy/slushy tracks, placed parallel to each other. These tracks are about 120 to 160mts in length & 8 to 12mts in width, depending on the space available. The racing buffaloes are trained throughout the year for the event. 130 to 140 pairs of buffaloes participate in the race & thousands of enthusiastic onlookers and supporters cheer from the sides of the track. The atmosphere becomes heavy & tensed with anticipation and excitement during the races.

I was happy to witness the event and got some fabulous shots. I am happy with the moments I could capture. Presenting the first of the few that I will post here. I feel the emotions as I look at them. Do they invoke the same in you too?

3 users Like Pckts's post

United Kingdom Sully Offline
Ecology & Rewilding

3 users Like Sully's post

Jimmy Offline

Sometime ago I had posted video of fiesty cape buffalo fighting and eventually chasing a white rhino in some zoo, this time it seems like cape buffalo came out second best against a Nguni bull, the video is inconclusive as the cameraman pans out and ends right at the  decisive moment! But it shows South African cattle breed 'Nguni' holding its own against a much feared and often hard nosed Cape buffalo. Nguni is an avg sized cattle with max weight of around 600 kgs, and a hybrid of Zebu cattle and European cattle

8 users Like Jimmy's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-05-2020, 01:54 AM by Pckts )

Not sure I'd say anyone came out 2nd best, the cape certainly looks more powerful though since it dictates when to lift the bull and not the other way around.
Impressive showing by the Nguni but the longer it goes the more I'd favor the cape snapping those horns or wearing it out.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(01-24-2019, 05:22 AM)Pckts Wrote: Domestic Yak w/shaved horns vs Bull 

another one, this time the Yak has a full head of horns

Longhorn and a Bison

Water Buffalo Fight

That longhorn bull looks just like an aurochs, I can imagine Pleistocene Eurasia looked something like that with both bovines living side by side.
2 users Like Balam's post

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Very cool video, and something I have never seen before. Looked like more of a playful sparring than a fight. 
I have seen buffalos and cattle go much harder than that, and then I would be baffled if the domesticated cattle came out on top.
3 users Like Pantherinae's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

first time seeing interaction between cape buff and domestic cattle
1 user Likes Rage2277's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 04-05-2020, 07:52 AM by Rishi )

(04-05-2020, 12:59 AM)Pckts Wrote: Not sure I'd say anyone came out 2nd best, the cape certainly looks more powerful though since it dictates when to lift the bull and not the other way around.
Impressive showing by the Nguni but the longer it goes the more I'd favor the cape snapping those horns or wearing it out.

I think the horn shape is playing in favour of the bull... reaching the buffaloes throat & neck over its curved horns.
If it were a real Aurochs in a real fight, bigger & with larger horns, then I suppose the cape would be at a disadvantageous position.
1 user Likes Rishi's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(04-05-2020, 07:48 AM)Rishi Wrote:
(04-05-2020, 12:59 AM)Pckts Wrote: Not sure I'd say anyone came out 2nd best, the cape certainly looks more powerful though since it dictates when to lift the bull and not the other way around.

I think the horn shape is playing in favour of the bull... reaching the buffaloes throat & neck over its curved horns.
If it were a real Aurochs in a real fight, bigger & with larger horns, then I suppose the cape would be at a disadvantageous position.

I think it's the reverse, the backward curvature allow the Cape to penetrate from behind the Nguni's horns every time he jerks his head up and lifts the Nguni.
Added on top of the fact that his bos crosses the whole front of his head, he should be able to withstand more abuse as well.
1 user Likes Pckts's post