There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
We have upgraded the system, and this might cause some weird issues. If you face such issues, please report here.

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

(12-27-2017, 09:58 PM)stronghold Wrote: I just have to ask does anyone know what happened to the 2 remaining first generation mhangeni and one talamati male?

Last I read about them they were doing fine in the kruger, they might even have been seen with some females, but I don't remember exactly.
3 users Like Tshokwane's post

United States Fredymrt Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 05:56 AM by Fredymrt )

Credits:
howard.cleland

JOCK MALE LION COALITION
Found three of the five Jock Lodge male brothers in Biyamiti territory before a big thunderstorm early morning. Very dominant group in the area. Lightning chased them away into thick bush. Was hoping to get some closer sibling interaction. Maybe next time.

Edit: The rangers of the jock concession have misidentified this male. It wasen't one of Jock males. The male sighted is one of the Mpondo males.
2 users Like Fredymrt's post

United Kingdom Mabingilane Offline

(12-03-2017, 04:35 AM)Fredymrt Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 01:24 AM)Mistry109 Wrote: Are the shishengaan males and the shishangeni males two different coalitions?

They are 2 different coalitions:

•The 4 Shish males are usually seen in the area of Gudzani Dam, in the singita or on the S100.

•The 4 Shishangeni males dominate the H4-2, and the S28 towards the Crocodile bridge. South of kruger

Map of kNP

*This image is copyright of its original author

Red circle The Shish Males
Blue circle The Shishangeni Males

(12-03-2017, 01:24 AM)Mistry109 Wrote: I know there is a very impressive coalition called the shish males who are huge and have very dark manes. Are these the same males who killed that one intruder earlier this year?

Yes same males, you can read about this battle here:

Thanks all u guys for ur replies. Much appreciated. It is very confusing having more than 1 coalition with the same name. But this helps alot guys so thanks.
1 user Likes Mabingilane's post

Young Shish male lions including  "Casper" the White lion  at Singita Lebombo by Coman Mnisi

Singita Lebombo By Brian Rode

Shish Male TBSNature Photography.
5 users Like Fredymrt's post

Jock Males. Photo by Neil card

4 Shishangeni Males.
By Megaaania
7 users Like Fredymrt's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 01-11-2018, 04:00 PM by Ngala )

Photo and information credits: Nombekana Safaris and Wildlife Photography
"My guests and I were recently treated to a beautiful sighting of the Biyamiti pride . A few days ago i decided to drive to one of my favorite routes and we were privileged to find the Biyamiti pride with some of the cubs. As if that was not enough we also found the pride males (Eastern Bank Males ) 

The Eastern Bank males were originally a coalition of 5 Males and they were born in 2012. They came from the Eastern Bank pride. Fathered by the 3 Toulon males. (info by William Elsworth )

This is one of the males and what a beautiful boy he is. The Kruger National Park is indeed a special place and i always look forward to hosting my guests here."

5 users Like Ngala's post

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Photo and information credits: Nombekana Safaris and Wildlife Photography
"One of my recent Safaris in the Kruger National delivered a coalition of two males . These males are known as the Mluwati males as part of their territory is in the Mluwati concession. they also spend a lot of time in the Kruger Park particularly on the S125 where i saw them .
(reference William Elsworth )."

3 users Like Ngala's post

Credits: Quintessential Wildlife Photography

Incredible Recovery by Male Lions. I only realised today...
The 2 Male Lions known as the Renosterkoppies Males, that I saw yesterday, I also saw exactly 1 year ago to the date. These are the Lions that suffered from Mange Skin Disease last year, and they looked absolutely terrible...
But they have recovered incredibly well. Below is a video compilation of last year, and yesterday. You can clearly see how well they are doing now.

Read more on Mange by following the link below. Mange Share and Enjoy!
Thanx

United Kingdom sigball Offline
New Join

(05-25-2017, 10:38 AM)LionKiss Wrote:
(05-25-2017, 04:55 AM)sik94 Wrote: I can't believe those 2 males decided to chase after 4 adult males. Don't know if it's stupidity or bravery. Its the survival of the fittest and lions with unfiltered-aggression won't get far I guess.

MrT and KT chased away the 5 majingilane, isolated and killed -Sad- one of them.

it was confidence of fighting four before and never losing a fight and a lot of courage

2 Males just north of leeupan H1- 2 KNP. Images by Inus Du Preez

Location - H4-2, 4km from Crocodile Bridge camp
Tinged by Rudi

One of the Shishangeni males

This huge male lion was seen roaring this morning just outside Crocodile Bridge
Shishangeni male roaring

4 users Like Fredymrt's post

Eastern Bank Males – Lions of Kruger

January 19, 2018 Big On Wild
Today’s featured lions are the Eastern Bank Males,
The Eastern bank males were born in 2012 which makes them 6 years old, they were fathered by the 3 Toulon males.

They come from the Sabi Sands Game Reserve and formed a coalition of 5.
They used to be a coalition of 5 males sadly one of the males died after suffering a long standing injury.
The first time we saw them was near Renosterkopies in 2015 they were 3 years old at the time.

Since then they have been taking over a lot of territory, back in March of 2016 they mauled and killed one of the Stolsnek males and they injured the other two male in their attempt to oust them from the Byiamati Weir area.

They now dominate the Byiamati Weir region and they took over the Byiamati pride from the Stolsnek males and they were often seen mating with the lioness which means they should have cubs soon.

They are branded for research purposes and you can find their marking on their back and it has the shape of a ‘U’
They are usually seen on the S114 as well as the Jock Concession and of course around the Byiamati Weir area.
You can also follow the page “Eastern Bank Male Lions” on Facebook for the latest updates.

Look out for them next time you are in the area
Thank you for reading our post
*All images and videos belong to Big on Wild unless otherwise stated
6 users Like Fredymrt's post

Austria Lionpower Offline

(01-19-2018, 10:17 PM)Tshokwane Wrote: Credits to Twiga Travel Africa.

Nkuhuma male and his brother.

Junior is looking more and more impressive. He reminds me of Hairy Belly - I think he was fathered by him.

WILDLIFE REPORT
SINGITA KRUGER NATIONAL PARK, SOUTH AFRICA

For the month of December, 2017

Photo: Jacques Briam

Temperature Rainfall Recorded Sunrise & Sunset Average minimum: 20°C (68°F) For the period: 58 mm Sunrise: 05h08 Average maximum: 33°C (91°F) For the year to date: 464 mm Sunset: 18h44 Minimum recorded: 14°C (57°F) Maximum recorded: 40°C (104°F)
In the final month of 2017, we experienced soaring temperatures and the increased promise of rain. The summer sun in the early morning brought with it the call of a multitude of bird species, that were in full song throughout the month.

Lions
As is the case more often than not in this area, we are proud to report that the lion sightings have been regular and high quality yet again. No kills were viewed this month by guide or guest, but lions were seen feeding on kills on at least four occasions. The reason we are seeing kills and feeding sessions a little less than usual we attribute to the fact that until late in the month, most of the large herbivores were still on the rich grasses growing west of the concession, on the previously burned areas. This means that the smaller prey is eaten before we find the lions in the morning, with the only evidence being pinkish jowls and full bellies.
The Shishangaan Pride is in many regards the flagship pride of this area, not only because of the massive number of lions in the pride (as many as 19), but also because the pride contains a young male white lion. Sadly, we have not seen this pride many times this month, as there have been few buffaloes to follow onto the concession. Towards the end of the month, they were seen a few times out on the H6 public road. Interestingly, the young males in the pride, who are now older than three-and-a-half-years-old, continue to live in the relative lap of luxury of life in their natal pride. They have now passed the usual age for male lions to be removed from the area of their birth, and with each month it will become more difficult for the
Shish Males and lionesses to remove them, as they are becoming a force to be reckoned with in their own right.

Photo: Sean Bisset
the Mountain Pride Sightings of the Mountain Pride has been very regular this month, as much effort is made to find them in the absence of the Shish Pride. The young lioness in the pride continues to grow from strength to strength and it is not long now before we will begin to see her actively taking part in hunts. For the most part, the unusual pattern of a fully grown male lion spending nearly all of his time with this pride continued throughout the month. In the last week, however, one of the mountain pride lionesses split off from the group with the Shish Male that has a limp, giving the pride some respite from his presence. Whenever a lion and lioness split off in such a fashion, the assumption is that the lions are mating, during which the separation period from the rest of the pride can last for more than a week. At the time of writing, the lioness had not yet re-joined the Mountain Pride.

Grumpy Shish male

The Shish Males seem to have had an interesting time of it in December 2017. One of the older males in the coalition of four who has a bad leg, spent most of the month with the Mountain Pride, as mentioned above. His direct brother, with only one eye, has not been seen for more than a month now, and we fear that he has been killed. Adding weight to this assumption is the fact that the younger pair of males in the Shish Coalition were seen on the concession near the beginning of the month bearing severe and fresh wounds from a fight. These wounds included a clear bite mark on the shoulder blades of one of them, and the only time that lions get bitten on the back is when they are outnumbered. It is too early for confirmation, because the resilience of lions is legendary. Also, knowing the character of that individual, we would not be surprised if he walked onto the concession bearing a few new scars, but otherwise none the worse for wear.

Interestingly enough, there have been no sightings of the Southern Males at all in December. They have, however been heard from the lodges on a few occasions, adding to the chorus of the night.
Articles by Blaine Moolman & Brian Rode
Photos by Sean Bisset, Jacques Briam Singita Kruger National Park, South Africa Thirty-first of December, 2017

This is The "one eye" male (Photo taken by nick dup in 2014)

Here is what Brian rode  wrote: "unfortunately we have not seen the 1- eyed male in approximately 2 months now and fear that he may not be around anymore..  I think they may have been fighting with the N,wanetsi Males that occur further West"
Note: This is not confirmed!

Italy Ngala Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

One of the two Renosterkoppies males.

From Latest Sightings - Kruger, 13 Jan. '18:
06:40 
2 big Male lions walking on the road for about 1km
H1-1, 5km S of Skukuza 
Tinged by The Shipmans

2 users Like Ngala's post