There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-29-2023, 07:20 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Top 5 biggest males Neil Jennings have seen:

This is his subjective opinion, without messuring, or seeing them side by side, its impossible to rank them, as size diff is prob very close.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-29-2023, 07:20 AM)Mapokser Wrote: He says he doesn't think PCM are as big as their fathers.
Young Mantimahle males on the other hand seemed to be on pair with 5th Mantimahle when it come to body size. Might be they are biggest males in Sabi Sands right now.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2023, 06:34 PM by Tr1x24 )

(11-29-2023, 06:05 PM)Potato Wrote: Young Mantimahle males on the other hand seemed to be on pair with 5th Mantimahle when it come to body size. Might be they are biggest males in Sabi Sands right now.

5th was arguably smallest of Mantimahles.

Also, I dont think its possible to judge size of PCMs compared to their fathers just by looking at them separetly, few years apart on top of that.

PCMs and Mantimahles are prob around the same size, both big and impressive males.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(11-29-2023, 06:33 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 06:05 PM)Potato Wrote: Young Mantimahle males on the other hand seemed to be on pair with 5th Mantimahle when it come to body size. Might be they are biggest males in Sabi Sands right now.

5th was arguably smallest of Mantimahles.

Also, I dont think its possible to judge size of PCMs compared to their fathers just by looking at them separetly, few years apart on top of that.

PCMs and Mantimahles are prob around the same size, both big and impressive males.

I think the Mantimahle's are probably bigger. PCMs are thick bulky lions with probably not the biggest frames, the two Mantimahles look like big boys frame wise and have decent builds. It's just a feel thing I guess but the 2 Mantimahle's give me that same raw vibe as the original 5 did at their absolute peak. 

I have noticed recently that I don't get that same wild and intense feeling from following or seeing a lion on video like I used to, those old live safari videos with the Mapogos on youtube were so intense the first time I watched them. They have become characters to me in a show almost, I almost forget that it's a wild lion that will probably give me a heartattack if it even looked in my direction for too long. These Mantimahle boys have this intensity about them that I get that same feeling from them as I did when I first started following lions.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

@Gavskrr @Tr1x24 I agree 100%, I've seen other opinions ranking the males differently than Neil's, it's basically impossible to rank them accurately in this context, and the difference between many of them is likely not big.

@Potato They might very well be, the lighter mane male seems to be the more impressive of the 2.

From seeing photos and videos, PCM usually leave a stronger impression on me though, and it helps that we've seen PCM with females and other random males to compare.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Switzerland Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

The 6 Nkulhu males always together are forming a very huge coalition... And with them, after having escaped to a brutal death, great return of a veteran, Dreadlocks.

" A male lion coalition that needs absolutely no introduction, are the mighty Nkulhu males of Sabi Sands.

Recently, they took the old De La Porte male, Dreadlocks, as part of their coalition, making them an astonishing 7 male lions in total.

The Southern Avoca males in Sabi Sands, singled Dreadlocks out one night, and attacked him, and nearly killed the well known male lion. Dreadlocks somehow survived the attack, and re united with the mighty Nkulhu males. A revenge mission was one the cards.

Again, the old De La Porte male lion was found alone, and badly injured, with no sign of the Nkulhu's in sight. Is it possible that the Tshokwane/Mazhiti males will get to Dreadlocks first this time, as he finds himself in their prime territory? Or will the Nkulhu's come to his aid once more, and rescue the old veteran De La Porte male?

One thing is for sure, these 6 Nkulhu males are growing in confidence daily, and that's a dangerous thought, and brings back many memories on their ways of doing things.

Numbers, Strength and experience combined.......big BIG trouble, for all male lions around.....
 "
4 users Like Spalea's post

Ngonya Online

(11-30-2023, 01:27 AM)Spalea Wrote: Numbers, Strength and experience combined.......big BIG trouble, for all male lions around..... "
Great post. The boys got a lot of potential.
Excited to see what future holds for them, it's not possible to know what move they will make next... Lately it seems to me that they are not going to expand to Sabi Sand.
It seems like they've been expanding most of their time in Skukuza and other areas of Kruger...
But as i said its impossible to predict, so i'll avoid going into conclusions.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

People sure love their grand naratives.

The Avocas were just lucky to have found Dreadlocks on his own and there is no evidence that the Avoca died due to some revenge for that.
Anything is still possible with the Nkhulus. People are already picturing some grand conquest of Sabi Sands. But its just as likely that the coalition falls apart or disapears into Kruger in a few months
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2023, 04:14 AM by afortich )

(11-30-2023, 01:27 AM)Spalea Wrote: The 6 Nkulhu males always together are forming a very huge coalition... And with them, after having escaped to a brutal death, great return of a veteran, Dreadlocks.

" A male lion coalition that needs absolutely no introduction, are the mighty Nkulhu males of Sabi Sands.

Recently, they took the old De La Porte male, Dreadlocks, as part of their coalition, making them an astonishing 7 male lions in total.

The Southern Avoca males in Sabi Sands, singled Dreadlocks out one night, and attacked him, and nearly killed the well known male lion. Dreadlocks somehow survived the attack, and re united with the mighty Nkulhu males. A revenge mission was one the cards.

Again, the old De La Porte male lion was found alone, and badly injured, with no sign of the Nkulhu's in sight. Is it possible that the Tshokwane/Mazhiti males will get to Dreadlocks first this time, as he finds himself in their prime territory? Or will the Nkulhu's come to his aid once more, and rescue the old veteran De La Porte male?

One thing is for sure, these 6 Nkulhu males are growing in confidence daily, and that's a dangerous thought, and brings back many memories on their ways of doing things.

Numbers, Strength and experience combined.......big BIG trouble, for all male lions around.....
 "

Very nice video. The part that talks about Dreadlocks is very similar to the video I posted recently in the Nkulu thread, probably because it is by the same channel.

Switzerland Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@afortich

You wrote: " Very nice video. The part that talks about Dreadlocks is very similar to the video I posted recently in the Nkulu thread, probably because it is by the same channel. "

Yes, thank you, I discovered it (your video) after having posted this one. Thus I wanted to delete it here, in order to put in the Nkulu thread. But for one reason I don't explain, it wasn't possible.

By the way it's interesting to see how old male lions are able to enter into an alliance. It would be interesting too, to see if Dreadlocks can change its habbits (no more roaming solitary as much) just in order to be less vulnerable against an aggression.
1 user Likes Spalea's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2023, 04:49 AM by afortich )

(11-30-2023, 04:40 AM)Spalea Wrote: @afortich

You wrote: " Very nice video. The part that talks about Dreadlocks is very similar to the video I posted recently in the Nkulu thread, probably because it is by the same channel. "

Yes, thank you,  I discovered it (your video) after having posted this one. Thus I wanted to delete it here, in order to put in the Nkulu thread. But for one reason I don't explain, it wasn't possible.

By the way it's interesting to see how old male lions are able to enter into an alliance. It would be interesting too, to see if Dreadlocks can change its habbits (no more roaming solitary as much) just in order to be less vulnerable against an aggression.

For sure it was a good idea that you posted it my friend. 
Furthermore, this video expanded on Dreadlocks and also speaks about the current situation of the Nkulu, which is awesome.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Ngonya Online

(11-30-2023, 04:05 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: People are already picturing some grand conquest of Sabi Sands. But its just as likely that the coalition falls apart or disapears into Kruger in a few months
I feel like they will be like their fathers, the Mantimahle Coalition. Lions that occasionally visit southern Sabi Sand, but have fallen into oblivion in Kruger as they frequent territories deep in 'irrelevant' areas, which are not as monitored.
I hope they stick around in Sabi Sands but it doesn't look like its gonna go that way. Well, we just have to wait and watch!

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

DeLaporte wasn't even caught alone, he waa with 4 Nkhulus who fled.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-30-2023, 05:22 AM by afortich )

(11-30-2023, 05:12 AM)Mapokser Wrote: DeLaporte wasn't even caught alone, he waa with 4 Nkhulus who fled.

Wow. Do you know who caught/attacked Dreadlocks-DeLaporte??
2 users Like afortich's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

I was talking about when he fought the Avocas.
3 users Like Mapokser's post