There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Coalitions of Kruger National Park

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Trichardt male looking great.
4 users Like Brahim's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(11-23-2023, 12:07 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote:

Trichardt male looking great.

In the Instagram post it says "Torchwood Male on the S100". Unless the person who posted this misidentified this male.
3 users Like Rabubi's post

Canada Robot00 Offline

(11-23-2023, 12:04 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 1/3 Imbali males recently. They are sons of the 2 Mluwati males. They have recently taken over Leeupan pride that was ruled previously by the 3 Torchwood/Fourways males.
Credit: Private Kruger Safaris

Was it a pride take over or did the old coalition abandoned the pride?

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-23-2023, 02:22 PM)Robot00 Wrote: Was it a pride take over or did the old coalition abandoned the pride?

Abandoned.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(11-23-2023, 02:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-23-2023, 02:22 PM)Robot00 Wrote: Was it a pride take over or did the old coalition abandoned the pride?

Abandoned.

did they kill torchwood and 3 ways cubs ? why they abandoned the pride ? how many prides they have ?

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Does anybody knows who this lion is? I don't even know if he's from Kruger but I have no better place to ask:

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2023, 08:21 AM by Cath2020 )

(11-24-2023, 05:11 AM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote:
(11-23-2023, 02:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Abandoned.

did they kill torchwood and 3 ways cubs ? why they abandoned the pride ? how many prides they have ?

This is not unusual.  When there are no available mating females, for example, sometimes the coalition gets an itch to explore and find other prides with available mating females.  The Nhzengha Males left the Styx before the youngest cubs were even a year, so I imagine there might be some younger cubs that got the unlucky end of the deal, being born later in their fathers' reign.  I'm not sure what happened to the offspring of the pride.  Some lionesses might have run off with the older ones....  I think they also have/had the Kumana and Mazithi Prides.  They definitely have some sub-adult offspring.  I think they were getting too ambitious in expanding, and so decided to leave the Leeupan Pride.  It was very far from the other prides they took over.  

In one video footage of the Leeupan Pride, they had little cubs back in 4/2021, so I imagine those same cubs, if they are alive now, would be nearly 3 years old.  

I think it's good for them to move on.  After all, their daughters would be coming of age in the next year or so from their oldest litters.
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-24-2023, 08:15 PM by Cath2020 )

(11-23-2023, 02:22 PM)Robot00 Wrote:
(11-23-2023, 12:04 PM)Brahimlegend Wrote: 1/3 Imbali males recently. They are sons of the 2 Mluwati males. They have recently taken over Leeupan pride that was ruled previously by the 3 Torchwood/Fourways males.

They were stretched too thin between 3 prides, so they had to abandon the Leeupan Pride in the end which was over 30 km. away at least.  I checked some older posts and saw a pic of a couple of nice-looking older male subs of the Torchwood/Fourways Males back in Sept. 22' and they were already looking well developed for their age!  Similar to how the Nkuhuma Breakaway Male looks.  I imagine that they'd already be well on their way to independence by the time the takeover began around fall of this year.  In fact, I think that most of their offspring in the Leeupan Pride were born from late 20' to middle/late 21', so the majority of them were of age by the time the 3 males left.  I don't think they were prematurely abandoned. 

Hopefully, they can raise another generation or two with their newer prides before they get too old to defend the cubs.  The Torchwood Male will turn 10 around Jan. of next year, and his partners could be of a similar age.  They might just be able to be dominant for another couple of years.  They all still look pretty good, though the Torchwood Male was seen with a limp and looking quite thin of late.  That might also be because he could have been mating a lot, so....  And I haven't seen him actually limping in any videos.
2 users Like Cath2020's post

Canada Robot00 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2023, 01:52 AM by Robot00 )

(11-24-2023, 08:13 PM)Cath2020 Wrote:
(11-23-2023, 02:22 PM)Robot00 Wrote:

They all still look pretty good, though the Torchwood Male was seen with a limp and looking quite thin of late.  That might also be because he could have been mating a lot, so....  And I haven't seen him actually limping in any videos.

I didnt know a lot of mating can cause them to lose condition. Now that i think about it, even human males can have similar affect if he mates too much in short period of time. Funny Funny Hahaha
1 user Likes Robot00's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

@Rabubi Yeah he missed id all his sightings of trichardt as torchwood I told him he changed one but guess not all. Also Torchwood isnt even close to S100 anyway.
3 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-25-2023, 02:16 PM by Brahim )

https://fb.watch/oxtduj79cv/
Leeupan male. Guy said another male and female were were him so not sure if h10 is back or a new partner.
3 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

Eastern Bank male & South Shishangeni seen recently near Berg en dal. You can see Eastern Banks back injuries have healed really well.
Credit: Two Travelling Twits

Attached Files Image(s)

9 users Like Brahim's post

Brahim Offline
Moderators

The two impressive males who rule the pride by Letaba camp North Kruger since mid 2021 around that time the previous males (Mingerhout males) moved West and one was limping not sure if these guys were responsible or not. The Darkmaned one in first picture was collared for years up until earlier this year it was removed. 
First pic by Ashley Lough Second by Moya Morang.

Attached Files Image(s)

10 users Like Brahim's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

What happened to Dreadlocks now?....

6 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Cath2020 Offline

(11-26-2023, 06:02 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: What happened to Dreadlocks now?....

I think he got caught out patrolling alone.  That was the previous footage we saw of him, alone and roaring confidently.  

The first time with the S. Avocas was just sheer bad luck, but this time, he made an error in judgement, I think.  I don't know why he sometimes goes off alone because he needs to take advantage of his coalition partners more.  It's likely that if he had had one or two partners with him, the damage would have been much less or non-existent.  Other coalitions can pick off a larger one if they can catch them alone like this.  

Hard to get an idea of the extent of the damage, but lions have recovered from some horrific attacks and survived a few years longer....  He should also sense that he's no longer in his prime and try to preserve himself.  

Never saw him in any mating scuffles...so probably got caught (and based on last vid. of him)
1 user Likes Cath2020's post